Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Just wondering at what temperature you plug in your LLY for over night?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I do mine about 10 degrees. some say not till zero but not sure if that applies to duramax versions or what. All I know is LMM have a grid heater on the intake which helps some. Not sure if previos versions have it.

Brian

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think the grid heater first came out in the LBZ model 06-07. I dont think it hurts anything to plug in, myself usually at five to ten degrees below freezing I will plug in just to save stress on things.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Plug In

I don't worry until about -20C (-05F) or so. When it was newer it has started at -30C (-22F).
If at home I put a clock on it, set for a few hours before start up. Starts good that way. That 1100 or 1200 watt heater makes the power meter spin.
At -35C to -40C (-32F to -40F) I leave plugged in if it's not running.

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
5,510 Posts
Usually about 20f for me. Depends on my mood :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
I plug mine into a timer when it gets in the mid to low 20's here. It's set to come on about 3 hours before I leave for work. I've also had to leave it overnight in single digit temps without plugging it in and had no problems. I just let it warm up a little longer and take it easy until everything is up to temp.

·
Registered
686 Posts
10 to 20 but it does no need it left it unpluger in 30 below in the up and it started with no problem

G

·
I think the grid heater first came out in the LBZ model 06-07. I dont think it hurts anything to plug in, myself usually at five to ten degrees below freezing I will plug in just to save stress on things.
I think he was talking about the block heater (what is a grid heater?), which all of the D'max powered trucks came with from the factory, IIRC.

I've heard that you're not going to damage anything by pluging in anytime. Lots of guys plug in anytime it's freezing, 'cause that way you have heat pretty quickly.

Personally, I don't plug in until 20 degrees F or less... and sometimes I forget. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here in MD, if doesnt get cold enough to "need" the block heater. But its nice to have quick heat in the mornings. I'll use it for that below 20 degrees.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think he was talking about the block heater (what is a grid heater?), which all of the D'max powered trucks came with from the factory, IIRC.

I've heard that you're not going to damage anything by pluging in anytime. Lots of guys plug in anytime it's freezing, 'cause that way you have heat pretty quickly.

Personally, I don't plug in until 20 degrees F or less... and sometimes I forget. :rolleyes:
I believe the grid heater is in the intake and it heats the air before it goes into the cylinder...kinda like a glow plug but pre combustion. I could be wrong but I think thats the idea of it. I moved to the coast from Edmonton Alberta Im glad to say that I will never need to plug in again :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
someone please correct me if i am wrong, but the cord from the factory on my 05 d-max has a thermostat in it. it doesnt start working until temp is below 0 degrees F. manual also states you do not have to plug in unless temp is below 0.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My thoughts on this one-

The fuel economy penalty for a slow warm up is pretty severe. If you are making a 20 minute run, most of that will be spent with a colder-than-ideal motor, which really hurts economy.

Also the truck just runs like crap when it's cold, doesn't it.

Even though it is still above freezing, I am going to put the rad blanket on now. In my experience, it helps warm up, and is not a problem to leave on, unless I am towing something.

I think that I will get the block heater on a timer, and start using it shortly.

I think I can save 1$/day by speeding up warmup, and that is easily more than the .10$ of electricity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Grill Cover

Thanks for all your great impute. I really appreciate your responses to my question. Here's one I forgot to ask as well... When do you put the grill cover on? I have an OEM grill cover and don't want to put it on to soon... Only in the 40's this morning but was in the 30's over the weekend. Thanks again

·
Registered
615 Posts
Used to at about 30 when I would leave it outside just so when I start it I have heat... Not needed until 15 or so

·
Registered
713 Posts
-15c, im told the block heater doesnt come on till - 16c on them anyways?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I understand that the original ('05s) block heater cord was a solid connection.
And, the replcement cords have a thermostat in them.
Regarding the winter front grill cover, If you run with the rad warm, covered, then you don't have good cooling when you need it such as WOT or towing.
Without the cover I have run from high 90's temps into sub zero in two days travel. Takes a while to warm up when freezing, but on a twelve hour run the warm up is not much of the day. I actually have less problems with engine heat, but more problems with cabin heat and windows frosting over when bitterly cold.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.