Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the wing installed last night. Now it is time to get the rack sandblasted and powder coated the same as the bumper. I can't wait. Hopefully next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Looks good. I have to cut and reweld my wing mount arms so it sits closer to cab like it used to on my old f250.Right now its sits 5 inches off cab ,want to get it down to 3 inches

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what did your mileage do when you installed it? Mine took a serious dump. I am going to lay it down a little more to reduce drag when not pulling the trailer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
predatorhummer how about posting some photos of your headache rack & rails please.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sure thing. Will do so tomorrow. Please excuse the surface rust. I have been building it for a few weeks now. I am thankful that it does not rust bad here in New Mexico. Getting it sandblasted next week and powdercoated to match the bumper. I think that there are a couple of pics in my garage but am going to have to check myself!! LOL !!! If not then I will post more tomorrow.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I just got the truck and have been switching over stuff from old truck.I averaged 12 mpg on first tank with mix of stop and go and good freeway runs at 70mph.I have no base mpg without wing.Going on trip this weekend and will see how mpg do towing 10k toy hauler.What do you average mpg wise?

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Looks tuff,cant wait to see it lifted though!!!That exhaust STILL blows my mind...:evillol:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well.Ran up the hill from Sacto to Reno then on to SAnd Mtn and back.Had no problems getting up to and holding 80mph in sections.Most of trip was at 65mph.Averaged 8.5 mpg.Is that good towing a 10k trailer?Truck now has 30k and I ahve put in egr block plate only.

·
Registered
355 Posts
.Averaged 8.5 mpg.Is that good towing a 10k trailer?Truck now has 30k.
I hope like hell I get better than 8.5 towing with mine!!:eek: the 6.0 powerstroke I traded for this LBZ got 10.5-11.5 grossing 20,500#'s.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sacramento-Reno is almost all uphill with 6% grades. When I tow my 7000# toyhauler up to Emigrant Gap and back I average 10. I don't think 8.5 is that bad with 10K.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I weighed it on CAT scale in Fernley loaded as usual and came in at 19150 lbs.
I also pulled the egr motor plug to go with block plate.Being "F" truck I have no codes at all:).My 99 f250 v10 cc sb 4x4 averaged 7mpg but could only pull grade at 50 mph max (CAT scale showed 18220 lbs).The Chevy has no problems running up hill at 65mph and still has speed left to pass:ro).Being I get 1.5 mpg better towing while weighing appx 900 lbs more total and having the POWER to run up that hill with ease I am impressed.Still would like to increase mpg.Any ideas? 4in catback?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
get rid of the cat. just keep the old stuff for any repairs at the dealer unless you know them and they won't say anything. I get 13 mpg on avg without pulling since i installed the wing. going to lay it back a little more to see if that helps

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why Wings??? I have to admit to being a cynic about this kind of device. They are used on race cars to hold the back end of the car down. What you need to do here is break up the laminar flow over the top of the truck to reduce the bressure on the front of the trailer. It seems to me a few vortex generators on the back of the cab would be much better than a wing. In fact, i suspect a wing will do more damage than good in most cases.

So give us some data!! There should be three runs Each needs to be 50 miles out and 50 miles back, Refuel from the same pump. !st run with out device. Second with and third without. The two reference runs will catch any changing conditions. After such a test, i will believe your results.
Dave

·
Registered
840 Posts
Why wings?Well I can tell you from first hand experience that on my Ford I had a hard time holding 70mph before wing towing my toybox tow behind.6.5 - 7 mpg average to Sand Mtn and back home..Could hold 70mph part throttle in OD after wing with 7.5-8 mpg on same trip.Fuel economy could have been better had I not been going so much faster IMHO. Even bigger bonus was no more bugs on trailer at all.Before it would be completely coated so it was instantly apparent that airflow was now going over trailer instead of smacking right into top half.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you are a cynic then go to www.taylorwings.com and check out their claims. They did the R&D so we don't have to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts