Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have 5% window tints on their truck, I'm thinking about taking off my 20% on Pass. and driver side and replacing with 5% on all windows. How hard is it to see at night and any trouble with cops?

Thanks for you help guys!

Rick

·
Registered
113 Posts
5% is real dark. In AZ, we can't run anything more than 35% on the front 2 windows. I have had 5% on the rears of my old truck and you basically can't see at night without some serious light.

Don't know about MO, but in AZ, we have cops driving around with light meters. They've stopped me and checked and when I failed, they wrote me a repair ticket. It's not worth the hassle. Now, I just drive faster than everyone else so they can't see in.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
5% is too dark at night IMO. I had it on an old truck and it was pretty bad at times. I have 35% on my fronts and my backs are all factory. It is a pretty good match.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have 35% on the front and 5% on the backs and rear window. I agree with Max Power in that I can see VERY LITTLE out of the rear view mirror at night. During the day, I can see "OK" if it's sunny. If it's overcast and the person behind me doesn't have DRL's, I may or may not see them on first glance.

To make matters even better, I had LASIK surgery a week ago. EVERYTHING's fuzzy, even when I'm not in my truck. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have 5% on mine. The only time I have trouble is when I back out of my drive way when its dark. I have to put down the windows so I can see where I'm going. I've never had any trouble with the police. They mostly look for imports or flashy cars to hassle. I've always had dark tint on my trucks and have never had a problem.

Jesse

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I had dark tint (5%) all around on my old F250. I did have to roll the windows down to backup at nite. But I did like how it kept the inside cool and my privacy inside.
Never a problem with cops. I intend to do it again, if I can find an installer who will . . .

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've got the standard tint, (LT) extra dark in back. I've discovered that no one wants to see in my truck. I wish they did, so that they could see the smile on my face.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have 5% on the front and factory + 20% on the back. It is a little hard to see at night but you get used to it and learn to put the windows down when in question Edited by: blkbowtie04

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
35% looks real nice and matches quite well on untinted front windows...

Mac

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have 23% on the front windows and 13% on the back windows including the fiberglass cap. Looks pretty cool on an all black truck and I can still see fairly well out the driver and passenger windows and keeps things pretty cool in the summer too! And word has it in PA that some cops have light meters to check the windows. I was told to get a letter from your eye doctor requiring the tint and they can't touch you with a medical reason. I know there's a reason why I have snow blindness!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I do tint, have for many years. I always do 5% limo black over the factory tint glass behind, and 5% on the door windows. Your eyes get trained to it over the years.
It can be tough backing up at night, u just get in the habit of looking around behind the truck before you get in and/or powering down the windows for a few seconds. I tint the top of the w/s, run a external visor, and keep my sunvisors flipped down. I like it dark and cool in my trucks. A dark color upholstery makes it even darker. Typically you can stand in front of my truck against the hood, look thru the clear windshield, and not see my face at the wheel on a sunny day! PERFECT. This is because there is so little light in the cab from other sources. It's come in handy more than once...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Deadeye-

The guys at Denver Window Tint (on Parker Rd. in Aurora) will tint any window at any tint percent you want. Of course the illegal ones are a cash deal only. That is where I had my truck done. I think they told me it was 20% tint to match the back windows, cash only....

Bob

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
So what tint matches the factory ext. cab and back window tint, exact? I want to get my side windows done.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
My 35 is almost an exact match. But there are several different colors as well. Go to an experienced tint shop and they should be able to get close. My biggest thing is that I didn't want my fronts to be darker then my backs. I think that would look really funny.

I'll try to take some pictures in the next couple days. Too cold and rainy out now.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Go to the Ghetto to get tint .... Just pack some heat ,that's what I did ...

Mine also matches great at 35% ...

Mac

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Mackin said:
Go to the Ghetto to get tint .... Just pack some heat ,that's what I did ...

Mine also matches great at 35% ...

Mac

I live in Canada. The only time I get to pack heat is when I'm getting my suitcase ready to leave after my winter vacation in Puerto Vallarta.

I have some buddies who took a similar approach to you. They got a smoking good deal and an excellent job as well.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I usually do 30 up front (legal limit for fronts in Texas) and 5 in the rear on top of the factory tint. Makes it dark as sin in the back but its great for my infant.

Be sure to get metalic tint as dyed tint wont help with heat at all.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I have 5% on the back windows and a darker tinted 20% on the front so it more like 10% when viewed with the DPS monitor they use (have a friend that is a DPS trooper). It is not that hard to see if you are "good" driver and know the size of your truck. I really wanted mine darker but you can only go so far without drawing attention here in Texas.

·
Registered
292 Posts
5% is the ticket, the truck stays a bunch cooler in the summer, and at worst, a fix it ticket (at least in California)

·
Registered
266 Posts
i had my last truck tinted i started with the sides at 20 the i did the rears 20 over factory my self and eventually i did 35 on the windshield it was nice in the daylight but at night i had to be cautious, the dmax will get just 20 on the fronts nothing else

the only time i had a problem was with the strip on the windshield after 2 tickets it came off and i've never had a problem even with the tinted windshield... with the windows down you still couldnt see me

1 - 20 of 30 Posts