Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had aftermarket tint installed on the rear window that has a factory rear window defroster? This isn't something I'd do myself but would have a professional do. Any problems? Is there a specific brand tint to use? Thanks!

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Just dont cut any of the electrical when trimming the tint!3M is good quality.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
66flh;1590612; said:
Just dont cut any of the electrical when trimming the tint!3M is good quality.
x2

·
Registered
113 Posts
My rear doors and rear glass are done with 35% charcoal over the factory tint to match the 20%charcoal i put on the front doors with "llumar". Do not do any cuting on the inside of the rear window cut one line and that line will not work. Pre cut with a brand new razor blade on exterior with a bright light on the inside helps you see the edge. Make sure you get a color stable film so it does not turn purple.

·
Banned
720 Posts
i have not had a issue with it bubbling but i have seen a few older trucks with that problem i do this grade and brand of tint matters i have 5% over the factory tinted glass

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info! For some reason, this pickup I just bought didn't have factory tint so I feel like I'm in a fishbowl. Can't imagine what it would be like on 100 degree days in the summer. I'll definitely have a professional do the job...perhaps after Uncle Sam sends me my refund! ;)

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
My truck has the slider, but my 04 cavalier daily driver has the rear glass tinted and I use the defroster every time I get in it. No problems with any bubbling or peeling around the wires. The back window of the truck could be done in one piece, but my car is in three sections. Definitely not a DIY project on my list.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I have deep factory tint on mine from the factory, dont look like they did anything special.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
i have 5% limo tint over the factory on the rear doors and the back glass. i use the defrost all the time and i dont have any problems. it is not something that i would do my self though

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
i have this on my truck and had at on my 95 gp and never had a problem used defrost all the time (this morning actually) mine was pro done

·
Registered
594 Posts
Only problem I've ever had (or seen) was a Honda Civic I had. Took almost 12 years - 175,000 miles or so - before the back glass got a "bubbling" or distorted look. I'd do it again, though. I say go for it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I got mine done and no problems. Have had 6 different vehicles done by the same guy great work no worries. Never had any isssues on any vehicle with rear window defrost.

·
Registered
282 Posts
as long as you get first quality film you should have no problems with film failure on the rear window. geographicly, the further north you are the longer the film will last. we see it all the time, someone moves to s florida from some northern state and the film fails. also, someone posted about using a single edge razor blade to cut out the window. be careful as you might cut the glass while trimming the film.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Our Nissan which sits out in NV had almost black tint on all windows when we got it. Took all tint off except rear window. Defroster works great and tint has stayed in excellent condition. Get someone with a lot of experience to do it. Not a shade tree mechanic job.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dont forget- to avoid your tint turning purple, use amonia free window cleaners. I have had a installer tell me to use water only to prevent discoloration. A good installer will tell you what you should or should not use for cleaning.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mavrick;1622563; said:
Dont forget- to avoid your tint turning purple, use amonia free window cleaners. I have had a installer tell me to use water only to prevent discoloration. A good installer will tell you what you should or should not use for cleaning.
thats not the case anymore... in the old days we would tell customers not to use amonia as window cleaner beacuse the amonia will kill the adhesive. we still use an amonia mix to remove some adhesives from windows today. the amonia would have nothing to do with the film changing color (turning purple). that would happen because the film was not the quality it is today. nowadays if your film turns purple you didnt get color stable film. those films that have dye in them and are first quality, will have color stable ( pre fadad ) dyes. when a manufacturer says it wont fade, they mean it wont get lighter. color change is not the same thing as fading. 3M has a film out now that uses extruded carbon nano technoligy. no dyes, just carbon extruded on polyester. thats whats on my truck..;) check with your favorite tint shop about there films warranty. make sure it's a manufactures warranty. "if it's from there shop only, you cant use it at other shops for warranty work." it will have the scope of the coverage which should include all the basics. also, some warranty's are pro-rated. thats means the consumer will pick up some of the replacement costs. Ray

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good info teamfutaba, I had mine done last summer with the same and no problems also had the sunroof tinted limo dark makes up for the lack of a solid shade!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I have 15% tint over my factory rear window tint and 5% in the front. I love it and have had no problems what so ever with the rear window defroster. I had a profesional do it and no problems.

Bentley

1 - 20 of 20 Posts