Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get the front 2 windows tinted. should i just match the tint of the back and 2 side glasses? Also, what tint % should i go with. I dont really understand how the percents work:confused:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
20%

tint is rated on the amount of light ( % ) that it allows to pass through

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i have 25% on my 2 sides, it matches the back almost perfectly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The law in Tn. is 35% net, so if you have 20% film installed and are involved in a accident your insurance company could refuse to pay if they find you have illegally altered your vehicle. This doesent happen often but it has happened! Now you will hear many people talk about how they have 20% or even 5% on there front windows and have no problems with the law but it is still illegal.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I was born and raised in NY. Not nearly as sunny as it is out here in California. Out here, the law could care less most of the time about your tint. Mine is 15% rear window and 20% on the fronts. In NY I wouldnt make it out of my driveway with those tints. I have never had tinted windows on a vehicle before. IMO 20% is far too dark, i no likey. I have to roll my windows down to back up safely at night and even on cloudy days. As one might imagine, this sucks on rainy days. Id suggest going with a lighter tint, say 30-35%, JMO.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Southern California is "iffy" on tints.
The law is, nothing tinted ahead of the driver's periphery.

In practice, it seems more often than not to be used as PC for a stop if they suspect DUI or gang/drug activity.

Seems like you are almost invisible to cops once you hit 35 or 40 years old.

·
Registered
291 Posts
After looking at that site it shows that North Dakota doesnt really care much haha. Yay for North Dakota!

·
Registered
183 Posts
what is the lightest tint most shops stock? i want to tint the fronts but not very much.

·
Registered
405 Posts
20%

tint is rated on the amount of light ( % ) that it allows to pass through
Exactly. The higher the % number, the higher the amount of light that passes through. Think of no tint as being 100%

Tint laws vary by state. Most, like Oregon, allow down to 35%. The rear windows on a supercab, crew cab or the SUV's are at approx. 20%. GM doesn't tint the front windows to match because of the varying state laws. I matched the front window tint on my '03 Yukon and '06 3500HD Crew to match the rear windows for several reasons:
  1. Aesthetics - It just looks better!
  2. Reducing Interior Heat - It does cut down on the heat from the sun. Not having tint on all the windows seems to defeat the purpose for tinting any of them.
  3. Reducing Glare - Big mirrors = Big glare from headlights behind you at night, especially rainy nights.
The comments made about the police tending to ignore older drivers seems to be true but don't hang your hat on it.

Here's a tip: If you are tinted in the front and are stopped, roll down your driver's side front window so the officer can see you. Also, if you have rear windows, roll the driver's side down as well. This will allow the officer to see you, your passengers and make them a bit more comfortable about you and your passengers. They might even forget about the window tint!

Sorry for the length of this post. ):h

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
i put limo tint on the back and the back side windows i didnt like how people could look in the back while driving
makes it darker for sure i will do the front at 25% they wont match but the cops dont like any tint where im from
also with the back blacked out its kinda hard to back up to a trailer at night

·
Registered
431 Posts
Here's a tip: If you are tinted in the front and are stopped, roll down your driver's side front window so the officer can see you. Also, if you have rear windows, roll the driver's side down as well. This will allow the officer to see you, your passengers and make them a bit more comfortable about you and your passengers. They might even forget about the window tint!
Turn on your interior lights too (at night), just dont make to many furitive movements.......

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
The cop turns off all his lights, tells you to turn on your interior lights, he now cannot see out and cops can now see in. The tint is actually reversed....

Someone try it...It works.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Turn on your interior lights too (at night), just dont make to many furitive movements.......
Absolutely... SOP every time I've been stopped since high school.
Interior lights on, windows down, hands crossed at the wrist on the top of the steering wheel, all passengers' hands in view.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Southern California is "iffy" on tints.

Seems like you are almost invisible to cops once you hit 35 or 40 years old.
I don't know about other places but in So. Ca. that really is the truth. I used to get pulled over and get things written down on the citation that had nothing to do with why I was originally pulled over. Now they even let me off from time to time and never write me for tinted windows anymore.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I think mine matches the factory tint pretty good. I think it's 20%

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts