find a lot of information on this topic. I am really interested in the
hidden type mounts but the only one I can find any information on
is Warn and they only offer a 9000lb. option with a short drum with
only 50 feet of cable. Has anyone tried this setup or any similar to
this?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had that same winch on my 99 1500 ext cab and it did the job. 50 feet of cable is plenty for the single line pull. Also if you have to use the winch and can run the cable through the shackle and back to the truck that is some serious pulling. I have wanted to get another winch for my 2500 but dont see the need in it anymore. That winch will do everything you need it to do and then some, I do have a buddy that has a 16.5 winch on his 2500 but he has never used it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i have a 9.5ti warn and i used to have it multi mounted on my z71. it was nice becuase i could remove it all together or have it front or rear. only problem i had was it weighted alot so moving it kinda was hard. ive used it a couple times with a shackle like bagley stated, where u double the line and reels in slower but can pull more. but i dont think you will have the luxury of doing that with the 9500 short drum and only 50ft. i personally would put a front receiver on and get the multimount and get the full size 9.5ti so u can shackle it up, because 9500 straight line wont be enough for a 2500hd diesel that weighs around 7000 by itself. i think a 12k is the right size winch to get for a 2500hd diesel but i think it will depend on wat ur purposes are. also one problem i think about the hidden mount is that it is quite low to the ground and on a stock truck if u were to get stuck would have little to no room to get to the winch, but like i said depends on ur purpose of the winch.

i myself am going to go with the warn 16.5ti and mount it on my ranchhand bumper and beleive it will be more than enough power but id rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it. btw the ti series is a great series since it protects the winch itself from overheating.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
A search on the word "winch" in this forum will yield 4 pages of posts. :eek:

Learn to use the search function and you will be amazed at the stuff you will find out! ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was pulled out of this mess with a 9k winch. It was an older Warn. It was single line, and pulled me up a pretty steep hill, with no assistance. Also had to use a couple snatch blocks, so the cable had a clear route. I was buried to the pumpkins on the front and rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
i have been stuck worse i am not saying that isn't bad but my 9.5 warn got me out just fine but if i would of had a short drum it wouldn't of done it and the only time the winch pulls at max is with the first layer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts