Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANy body have any good winch stories. I will always stop to help pull out a chevy outta the mud but just blow by a stuck ford. All joking aside..some good winching stories with pictures would be cool.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Probably not what you're looking for but the best thing I ever used my winch for was to straighten the front A arm and frame on a college buddy's car after he took it on a drunken spree. I skidded more logs than trucks. Kinda miss that I don't have it anymore.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats exactly what I am looking for Jeli. I use my winch all the time.

I once pulled a fork lift(lull) that was barried in Tennesee mud past the axles, it had 60 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood on the forks. I had to use the snatch block to double the pulling strength to 30000lbs. I had my truck anchored from the rear with a chain hooked to a vertically parked forklift as well. I also had another lull lifting the stuck lull from the rear as my winch cable smoked strecthed and squeked. Needless to say I got it unstuck and had quite the crowd of onlookers. (standing far away at a safe distance).

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my Gosh. Now thats winching at its best. Thanks for the post. I was hoping for some good stories, but those pictures rock!

·
Registered
138 Posts
My favorite winching scene is actually from a movie. Remember "The Gods Must Be Angry" ? The British gent that winched his land rover right up into a tree?

I didn't look for the story to go with that link? I guess that jeep got stuck and they had to abandoned it before some high water hit? Looks like someone's got some real cleanup work to do.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Speaking of creaking cables. Normally when we winch our drop front flat bad semi trailer we back the equipment to the end. Had to dead lift a D7 cat that wouldn't start. Nothing like standing next to a 7/8" cable without any protection...not that a safety cage would have helped much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts