Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wilwood has front/rear brake packages available so it's time for me to get them in to go on my truck.

The fronts are 16" cross drilled, slotted and zinc washed rotors with red powdercoated 6 piston calipers. The rear rotors will receive the same treatment but they will be 13". Red 4 piston calipers will apply force back there. I'll post some pictures after I bolt these on. Besides the increased stopping power, they sure will look sweet behind the 20 and 22" wheels!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I thought cross drilled rotors were a bad way to go? They do look damn good thou. Im sure they werent cheep either.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used drilled/slotted rotors for years with no problems. We usually sell this front package for $2899.99 and $1599.99 for the rear (add $168. for each set of coated calipers).

Here is a quick rundown on the features -

Big Brake Truck Front Hat Kits are engineered for use in conjunction with OE front hubs on a variety of competition, show, custom, and sport driving applications. Forged TC 6 piston calipers, Wilwood brake pads, machined aluminum hats, and 16" GT directional vane rotors exemplify award winning style and provide the ultimate in Big Brake Truck stopping power. Born from Wilwood's 25 year tradition of building championship brake systems, TC Big Brake kits are the perfect compliment to wheel, tire, and suspension equipment upgrades.

Forged Billet TC 6 Piston Calipers Calipers Available in Black or Red:
Superior strength forged billet calipers resist deflection under load without adding unnecessary weight. Six stainless steel pistons generate high clamping force and balanced pad loading while resisting corrosion and reducing heat transfer from the pads. Standard kits include black calipers with the Wilwood signature. Red calipers available on custom orders.

16 Staggered Vane Directional Rotors
Staggered direction vane rotors offer the highest cooling efficiency by maximizing the surface area and air circulation between the rotor faces. SRP series rotors are drilled and slotted, and then finished in a silver zinc wash to enhance pad performance and give that high tech, corrosion resistant look inside the wheels. GT series rotors are face slotted to enhance pad performance and carry the maximum rotor mass for thermal stability in high temperature or competition applications.

Forged Aluminum Rotor Hats
High strength forged aluminum hats are rib reinforced to carry extreme loads and eliminate unnecessary, power robbing rotational weight. Black anodizing prevents oxidation while adding to the custom look inside the wheel.

Wilwood Brake Pads
Advanced formula high friction compounds have quick response, big stopping power, and extended fade resistance over OE compound pads. Low dust, low noise formulas are easy on the driver and the wheels.

Mount Brackets and Hardware
Race proven radial caliper mount system with brackets and premium grade studs, nuts, bolts, washers, and alignment shims assure an accurate and secure installation.

Plumbing
Fittings and hoses for most kits must be ordered separately. Hose kit part numbers can be found next to each kit in the ordering information.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Damn that ought to stop in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Tbyrne how does that compare to the SSBC system???

Will the 16" Wilwood rotors/brakes fit behind an 18" wheel? Or do you need to run 20's?

--Ben

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
they look nice but are expensive

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Nice kit.

I've always wanted to upgrade the braking of my K2500 and the Wilwood kit looks extremely nice, but $3000 is a little much to spend for brakes on my 5 year old truck.

I wouldn't mind a kit that upgraded only the calipers to a 4-piston design that was a bolt-on and used OEM calipers in order to keep the costs down. I may even bite on an aluminum caliper upgrade. Throw in a matched master cylinder in 2 or 4 wheel disk versions and that would most likely address my needs and be a great kit. Problem is I have not found anyone to produce this mid-level kit.

Would it be possible to capture some baseline data before the upgrade? Maybe even load up the bed with weight. I would be interested in the before and after results, which may change my opinion concerning costs if a drastic change is observed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SSBC said that they had packages available for the 3/4 ton trucks when I was at the SEMA show in 2004. They still don't have anything. I origionally planned on using their brakes but am glad that I had to wait because I like the Wilwoods much better.

SSBC now lists some mild upgrades -

A 3-piston caliper with either 38mm, 45mm or 51mm stainless steel pistons (size depends on application):
Tri-Power with 38mm or 45mm pistons for most car and light duty truck applications
Tri-Power HD with 51mm pistons for 3/4 and 1 ton truck/SUV applications
Constructed of aircraft quality aluminum
Lightweight aluminum reduces “unsprung weight” for better ride quality
Corrosion-free stainless steel pistons minimize heat transfer to the brake fluid for optimum performance
Comes standard with a clear anodized finish; optional powder-coating or polishing available
DOT design with dust seals
Available in Quick Change Aluminum Caliper Replacement Kits for a variety of vehicles

2001-05 3/4 Ton Full Size Truck (HD & Non HD)
A187-4 Tri-Power HD Aluminum Front Calipers & Performance Pads $859.99

Replacement rotors are also available -

S23155 Front replacement rotor with Turbo slotting $74.99 each
S23155P Front replacement rotor with Turbo slotting and Xtra Life plating.... $124.99 each

These wouldn't be a bad way to go for a mild upgrade.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
arrghh darn it. Looks like ill be going with the SSBC's. I guess the tri-power calipers will be better than nothing right? Whats your feel on them?

--ben

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Looks good. Add 20" wheels to the price of the brakes and it's too rich for my blood

I am sure it is a great mod though!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Thanks Tbyrne for the info. I'll take a look at SSBC's stuff.

BTW, I really like Wilwood stuff. If they had a bolt-on caliper that used stock mounting location and rotor, and could be used with 16 inch wheels, I'd be all over it. I can't believe the market for brakes that fit 20 inch wheels would be larger/more lucrative than a simple caliper upgrade for near stock trucks like mine.

Anyhow, looking forward to your install and impressions.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
I think the SSBC tri-power calipers and 14" rotors require 18" or larger wheels...

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Thanks Tbyrne for the info. I'll take a look at SSBC's stuff.

BTW, I really like Wilwood stuff. If they had a bolt-on caliper that used stock mounting location and rotor, and could be used with 16 inch wheels, I'd be all over it. I can't believe the market for brakes that fit 20 inch wheels would be larger/more lucrative than a simple caliper upgrade for near stock trucks like mine.

Anyhow, looking forward to your install and impressions.
Well there is a lot of H2's out there that have big rims and stuff.

Jason

·
Registered
825 Posts
hey, Tbyrne

If you can Please weight the calipers before installing them. and weight the ones you take off.

just curious of the weight diff..

thanks

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I though Wilwood had a setup for 18s too?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Where do i sign up for those willwoods I haul a_ _ short distance and would love to stop faster HEHEHEHE!

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I'm sure tbyrne came get them for you he's a vendor.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The SSBC package with 14" rotors will require 18" wheels when it's available. I was surprized when I heard that I was going to need at least 20s for the Wilwoods. I run 22s during the good weather but I didn't want that to be ruined by the New England winters so I was going to use 18s. Had to jump up to 20" to be able to clear these.

praudio: We can take care of this for you. Currently have discounts available for the complete Wilwood line so this will save you some money :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts