Diesel Place banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
I've been thinking about a tilt column. The van doesn't have it, and I don't really need it, but it's a gizmo I could have, so why not?

Any Express/Savana tilt column from any year will fit, right? I @$$ume that my cruise multi-function switch and my new lock module will bolt right up.

How difficult is it to retrofit steering wheel controls to a 2006? Would I have to convert to the whole electrical system to 2010+?

Edit: In looking at www.car-parts.com I don't see anything newer than 2007 listed for a 2006 van, so I guess '08 is when GM updated stuff for the column. Does anyone know what they changed?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Also, I've noticed after rains that there's water in the step wells at the front doors... where is that getting into the vehicle?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Steering columns have been changed multiple times.
Stabilitrak and non-Stabilitrak are different at the shaft end: provisions for SWP sensor.
Also changes to ignition lock cylinder.
Get a tilt steering column from a 03-07. If you end up with the Stabilitrak column, also get the lower black bracket with 2 studs on it.

For the steering wheel controls, just get a clockspring from a SUV or 26092622 from an Impala also fits. Get a SUV leather steering wheel. Escalade, Denali and Rainier had wood/leather steering wheels. Add some wiring from the clockspring to the BCM or radio (if using aftermarket radio) and you are all set. I have this in my 2006.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Steering columns have been changed multiple times.
Stabilitrak and non-Stabilitrak are different at the shaft end: provisions for SWP sensor.
Also changes to ignition lock cylinder.
Get a tilt steering column from a 03-07. If you end up with the Stabilitrak column, also get the lower black bracket with 2 studs on it.

For the steering wheel controls, just get a clockspring from a SUV or 26092622 from an Impala also fits. Get a SUV leather steering wheel. Escalade, Denali and Rainier had wood/leather steering wheels. Add some wiring from the clockspring to the BCM or radio (if using aftermarket radio) and you are all set. I have this in my 2006.
Thanks! I figured the steering column had been done.
Ahh, THAT is the difference between the "Active Brake Control" columns and the ones without. What's the diff between an 9J6 tilt column and N33 tilt column?

I'm not even sure what this thread is about anymore...where are you going with this project?
Since it's my rig, I'm going where I feel like going. I snagged parts for a 4wd swap, but it ain't going to happen this year.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Anyone ever had a fan clutch fail? I've been getting a lot more fan noise at times I don't think I should and fuel mileage has dropped with no other indications of anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine failed end of the summer last year. I've got a post about it here if you look back. In fact, mine is at the dealership now bc its acting funny again and engaging sporadically and at low temperatures that would necessitate the fan to engage. It also engages in a surging and revving fashion sometimes when it does engage, not evenly like it always used to. Dealership called and of course said it had no codes and they couldn't replicate anything....I'll be picking it up today and will just try and take some video/audio next time.

At any rate, I paid probably too much to get mine fixed if you look back but in theory its warrantied by Chevy....I guess.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I'm not even sure what this thread is about anymore...where are you going with this project?
Hard to say, more of just a what I did today thing.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts