Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried this on the 6.5 guys and seem to be geting a blank stare...

I'm debating going hand shaker, but I like 6 gears, I wondered if the newer Dmax or big block 6 speeds will work on my old engine, a search didn't locate any results :(:help:

·
Registered
494 Posts
The 6 speed transmission will bolt up to a 6.2 or 6.5. You will have to set up a clutch yourself or I could try to steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Dmax Automatic the 5th and 6th are overdrive. Really not a good trans. You would need your own computer and program to make it work. Right now I would say it's not a doable swap. Why not drop in a complete Cummins with the 6th speed manual trans. That would seem a worth while project.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Diesel pro why is in not a good trans? Some say it's the best pickup trans avaialable. ATS is working on a stand alone trans controller so that would fix that. But really I thought when he asked he was asking about a 6 speed manual transmission out of the Duramax or 8.1, maybe I was wrong.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Tried this on the 6.5 guys and seem to be geting a blank stare...

I'm debating going hand shaker, but I like 6 gears, I wondered if the newer Dmax or big block 6 speeds will work on my old engine, a search didn't locate any results :(:help:
when you say "6 speed" do you mean the ZF-6 manual or the 6 speed Allison?

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Diesel pro why is in not a good trans? Some say it's the best pickup trans avaialable. ATS is working on a stand alone trans controller so that would fix that. But really I thought when he asked he was asking about a 6 speed manual transmission out of the Duramax or 8.1, maybe I was wrong.
Allis Trans has a memory. To smart for itself. Defuels to much on shifts, won't snatch your head back on shifts. Two overdrives in 5th and 6th. Needs only one. Manual mode is near useless, rpm band is to small and won't allow you to wind up the rpms and shift manual. Trans is going to do what it wants, not what you tell it. In Other words I like it to do what I want and I don't want the rpms to kill it as soon as gets to the rev limit. Hey, I'm sure it's a good trans for pulling but IMO it's not that good at "normal" driving.

There is no program out now that will fit it to you 6.5 so not a good choice.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Diesel pro your so far out of touch with reality. If you hold an allison in manual mode it won't shift until you tell it to. Two overdrives could be very useful in some situations and the transmission only defuel by what the program is set to do but obviously you have never had one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hand shaker is the stick shift, so yeah, the ZF650.

Not sure how low gears compare to the 5 speed, I believe the gears are more closely spaced, but OD is about the same, it is also a very stout transmission.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Don't dismiss the 3035a trans, they are out of duece&half trucks so I doubt they would have duribility issues. They bolt up easily with the right bell and can be picked up cheap.

·
Registered
176 Posts
NV5600 really only good for towing

I'm 99% sure that the Dmax and my Dodge/Cummins (2002 H.O.) share the same New Venture NV5600 6 speed manual-it has a reputation of being incredibily strong, but the ratios are too close together, INMHO-if you are running empty, you can easily skip 3rd and 5th and not even miss them. I'm not sure on the OD ratio, but with 3.55 diff and 285s, 2000 RPM gets me right around 70 mph. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm 99% sure that the Dmax and my Dodge/Cummins (2002 H.O.) share the same New Venture NV5600 6 speed manual-it has a reputation of being incredibily strong, but the ratios are too close together, INMHO-if you are running empty, you can easily skip 3rd and 5th and not even miss them. I'm not sure on the OD ratio, but with 3.55 diff and 285s, 2000 RPM gets me right around 70 mph. Hope this helps!
The Dmax and the Ford share the same tranny, ZF6. The Dodge is the only one that had the NV5600. I'm sure it would be possible to fit a NV5600 in, but it wouldn't bolt right up as easy. Like I mentioned over in the 6.5 forum I'd recomend a gearvendors OD in this situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts