Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating going hand shaker, but I like 6 gears, I wondered if the newer Dmax or big block 6 speeds will work on my old engine, a search didn't locate any results :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was really hopeing someone would chime in here with their experiences. This seems like it would be a great thing to do. The 6.5 has plenty of power, it could really use the 6th gear at highway speeds. Imagine the fuel mileage you could get.

Dave

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Umm would a gear vendor overdrive accomplish the same thing and be an easier install, a 6 speed could be installed but controlling the electronics could be tricky. I've never done either myself so looking for input as well

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
TD, I was thinking of the Gear Vendors Overdrive as well but a few guys that posted on here and were not happy with the results. They were burb owners iirc and they both had a vibration at approx. 40 mph that could not be resolved.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Wasn't there a six-speed 4l80e kit out there for a while? It gave the option of OD in each gear IIRC. Thought it would be cool if someone integrated that shift pattern into their programming. Throw in paddle shifters for the steering wheel...

Ah, no, I have never bolted a six speed to a 6.5TD. ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
The ZF6 will physically bolt onto the motor, but you'd have to figure something out for a clutch and possibly starter. You also wouldn't get much of an overdrive benifit since the 4L80E and NV 4500 are already and overdrive transmissions. The best would be a gearvendors. It would probably be cheaper and easier in the long run.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Never having been around a GV install, I wonder if driveshaft balance could be the issue chopping it up to allow clearance for the overdrive, RVers seem to like them

·
Registered
271 Posts
transmission

Your best bet is to go with a gear vendors over under auxillary drive. Done right it is awesome!!
The gv is used in corvettes for performance.
Had one on a motorhome and let me tell you the diffrence was incredible.
Wasn't anything it wouldn't out run up the hills.
Dad currently has one in his 2000 or 2001 Dodge 2500 cummins. When he takes of ya better be ready or your head gonna get slammed to seat.
Once I get some other mods done(air box and exhaust) then I am planning on putting one in my truck.

I also heard that if you try and put in the six(allison) you have to do a lift.
lot cheaper to go with the gear vendors. Go to a reputable place and everything should be fine. Place my dad went even redid the driveshaft and balanced the drive shaft. I think this may be why others get vibrations is the shop didn't balance the drive shaft right.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vibration was brobably driveshaft.

The 6 speed won't give you a higher top gear than the 5 speed, but it packs the gears that I use the most closer together, 2-3-4 on the 5 speed and 2-3-4-5 on the 6 speed. Gear vendors is nice, but not going on this one, wheelbase is too short.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the 6 spd is substantially bigger than the NV4500 or 4l80e. It would most likely require some massaging of the "tunnel"...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Is the GV OD kit what I sat that bolted to the back of the trans? I've always heard of them being called a double overdrive kit or "Doubler". You just take off your taleshaft and bolt this on. Guess you have to run extra linkage too.

I also asked Q's about bolting up a 6 speed to a 6.5 over in the ZF6 forum. If you are interested, the title is "Bolt Pattern". I can't remember if there is any more info than is listed here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts