Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First diesel. My 97 powerstroke just started acting
up. It was a little hard to start during past winter. Kept it plugged in, no problem. It will start fine when
not below freezing. The problem is....it has started
dying. When first started of a morning, it will run fine
for about 5 minutes, then dies. Will not restart till
it has set for awhile. There hasn't been anything replaced since bought new, besides periodic maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dont know about the older ones (pre '99) I had a bad cam position sensor, it would run for a little while then shut off.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah as PJ-1 said I think its a Cam Sensor

·
Registered
18 Posts
As far as not starting unless plugged in. You need to check your glow plug relay located under the cover on top of engine. Look at the 2 larger studs and condition of cables. If showing any signs of rust/corrosion or melting of the relay itself it needs to be replaced. (Most of the time just a slight pull on one of these will snap it off in your hand). If all looks ok you will need a volt meter or test light. One cable will have constant voltage to it the other won't until you turn on the key. If while the wait to start light is on you do not have power to both sides of the relay check to see if you have power to one of the smaller wires. They pull in the relay. If you have power to one smaller wire but not to both heavy cables the relay is shot. This is a common occurance. If all is ok here you need an ohm meter. before I can tell you how to check the glowplugs I nee to know if you have 1 or 2 connecters on the valve cover. Now on to the stalling, after the inital stall and then restart does it run ok or does it continue to stall? If it still stalls the cam sensor is a safe place to start. You may want to check the price at your local International dealer. Just bring them the old one and they can check the numbers. (There 2 for this motor and it's important to replace with the right one). On most parts for this engine you may find that the price difference is worth the trip compared to Ford.

Let me know about the valve cover plugs and we can go from there.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts