Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can u reset the taps with the ppe programmer. also when adding the ppe 160 hp tune how long should i wait before hammering it per say. i drove around today for 40 miles it got a lil better but still limped, so i reset the tranny on the ppe pragrammer and then i went out tonight and put 60 miles on it. the truck seems to be shifting a lil better but and it will hold a top speed run but still a lil nervous. again how long should i wait, b/c 90 hp sux.

·
Registered
152 Posts
After installing hypertech in my 8.1 it seened to take about 100 miles for it to shift norm. I know that it was no 160 hp like you put in though.

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
can u reset the taps with the ppe programmer. also when adding the ppe 160 hp tune how long should i wait before hammering it per say. i drove around today for 40 miles it got a lil better but still limped, so i reset the tranny on the ppe pragrammer and then i went out tonight and put 60 miles on it. the truck seems to be shifting a lil better but and it will hold a top speed run but still a lil nervous. again how long should i wait, b/c 90 hp sux.[/quote

First of all, resetting TAPS will not help you one bit as far as holding that program. Now that you have limped it, you are pretty much done. Put the program away till you upgrade the Ally.
mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
What do you mean by "Now that you have limped it, you are pretty much done." ??

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
What do you mean by "Now that you have limped it, you are pretty much done." ??
When you limp the Allison you did clutch damage. What you did was put a bunch of big black burn lines on the friction clutches and a bunch of heat marks ( just like the heat spots you see on you brake rotors ) on the steel plates. The friction clutches will never bite well again and the steel plates with those hardened heat marks will cause clutch chatter and limp again with less horsepower. Now, if you were to drop all power programs permanently from your truck, you might go 100K with ease. That would be blasphamy IMHO.):h
mike

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i did not know that limp it once and your screwed that sucks big time

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
its not exactly "once you limp it you're screwed". It just means take it easier next time. NOW....after the 5th, 6th, and 7th limp...then you might want to SERIOUSLY look into doing something about the trans. All Allisons seem to be different. Some guys complain about putting the Edge on 4 and limping it. Mine? For the last 4-5000 miles before I put the Suncoast IV this week, I ran the Edge on 3, and the PPE 120hp tune. I never limped my trans when it was stock. My transmission is definetly the small minority in that department tho, so dont try stacking like I did!

--Ben

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
ben what ever happened to the pics of your clutches and stuff are you going to post them

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
ahhh sorry...ill get them up tonight!

·
Registered
146 Posts
So will PPE reset TAPS?

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
Resetting TAPS does not always work with a Tech 2 and that's the best GM has to offer for a diagnostic tool. Vetronix ( makers of the Tech 2 ) have all the inside info straight from GM. How good can all the other things out there be that are not in the loop?
mike

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Resetting TAPS does not always work with a Tech 2 and that's the best GM has to offer for a diagnostic tool. Vetronix ( makers of the Tech 2 ) have all the inside info straight from GM. How good can all the other things out there be that are not in the loop?
mike
oh i see soo the ppe probly cant do it

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I think it is more of a hit or miss kinda thing. Am I right Mike??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts