Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyones experience with this, I'm trading my 01' in for a 07' classic and I'm a big block heater fan, I like heat before I leave my driveway. Thoughts? Also what about a transmission pan heater? Same problem? or not?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
you really shouldnt use your block heater till it gets below 0F

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an oil pan heater and transmisson pan heater on my truck. I have never had any codes or anomilies using them. My truck starts right up and goes into gear with no problems. I have plugged my truck in at +20 F and below and have never had a code from using the block heater, oil pan heater, transmission pan heater, or the 2 battery blankets. I normally have warm air after 10 minutes of warming up in the morning even when the truck is cold soaked at -25 F.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also has any one used a pan heater from Kennedy on a 2007 classic LBZ? The engine pan is not flat(It's U shaped) and is blocked by a cross brace which I'm sure you can remove for install? Experience with this anyone?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Theres a thread down on the allison board that says that you shouldnt use a trans pan heater. Something about the warm oil in the pan cant circulate because the oil is cool in the cooler so, all the hot oil in the pan (from the heater, and your engine using the trans to help warm up the oil in the pan gets too hot. I guess according to that thread you can get a reflash (thats not free) to not use the trans as part of the engine warm up. I wouldnt use a pan heater on the trans due to this.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I have not had a ny reflashes on my truck and have plugged the block heater on before 0 degrees (actually as high as 29 have plugged my truck in w/no problems. I dont think itll hurt anything.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I have been driving trucks for years and only thing I can say is to unplug before starting motor. Reason being is the pump will start when you crank the motor over and suck some water away from the block heater before it is replaced. I had a engine teacher take a block heater stickit in a 5 gal bucket of water and pull it out. It exploded very quickly w/in 2 seconds so now i make sure its unplugged before cranking. I know many people who leave it plugged in when they start it w/no problems but who knows.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Last winter I got codes from the block heater. In early Dec I got my ECM updated to last software. I was told it would reduce the codes from using the block heater above zero. I have tried using the heater twice since and have not set a DTC. As for the trans heater, I got a recall letter in the mail about warm fluid in the pan and cold everywhere else can cause lube problems. The computer thinks the tranny temp is higher than it really is. The recall said there is a TCM update to prevent damge if a tranny heater is used.

Jay

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone for the input

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Allison advertisement that came with my truck says that at -31 F to -13 F you will only have 2nd and 3rd shift ranges only. At -31 F and colder you will only have 2nd shift range. Sometimes it is colder then -31 F for 2 months straight in Fairbanks, AK. The dealer here installs winterization kits on new vehicles which includes oil pan heater, trans pan heater, and both battery pads or blankets. They also change the differential fluid to 75/90 prior to delivery and adjust the dexcool to -50 F. It gets freakin cold here! As far as the placement of the pads on my truck.... My engine oil pan heater (100Watt), is on the very back of the oil pan. My transmission pad (75W), is in the center of the pan on the bottom. I run all of my plug-ins (5) to a surge protector which then runs one cord out to the front.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
58D MTP;1486261; said:
My Allison advertisement that came with my truck says that at -31 F to -13 F you will only have 2nd and 3rd shift ranges only. At -31 F and colder you will only have 2nd shift range. Sometimes it is colder then -31 F for 2 months straight in Fairbanks, AK. The dealer here installs winterization kits on new vehicles which includes oil pan heater, trans pan heater, and both battery pads or blankets. They also change the differential fluid to 75/90 prior to delivery and adjust the dexcool to -50 F. It gets freakin cold here! As far as the placement of the pads on my truck.... My engine oil pan heater (100Watt), is on the very back of the oil pan. My transmission pad (75W), is in the center of the pan on the bottom. I run all of my plug-ins (5) to a surge protector which then runs one cord out to the front.
Thanks 58D MTP thats the kind of info I was looking for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just received a letter from GM regarding aftermarket transmission sump heaters for 2006-2007 models with D/M engines and A1000 tranies.

It basically states if an aftermarket transmission sump heater has been added to your vehicle, it may be susceptible to transmission failure when all the following conditions exist:

- the vehicle is exposed to -40C for more than 8 continuous hours
- an after market transmission sump heater has been added to the vehicle
- the aftermarket sump heater is active
- the vehicle's EIM is engaged

GM recommends having the TCM recalibrated to accommodate the effect of the a/m sump heater and eliminate this potential over temp concern. Disabling the EIM is an intern solution prior te recalibration.

TSB 06-07-30-032

1 - 15 of 15 Posts