Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 1500hd will not shift into 4 low. no problems in shifting into 4 wheel auto or 4 wheel high. When i press the button to shift to 4 low the light blinks but never engages the transmission. When i press the button to shift to 4 high or 4 auto it blinks and then turns steady and the tranny is engaged. Anyone have any ideas?

Shiftless in Steamboat!:confused:

·
Administrator
21,811 Posts
My 2001 1500hd will not shift into 4 low. no problems in shifting into 4 wheel auto or 4 wheel high. When i press the button to shift to 4 low the light blinks but never engages the transmission. When i press the button to shift to 4 high or 4 auto it blinks and then turns steady and the tranny is engaged. Anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to DieselPlace

Please tell us a little more about the vehicle ( ie. Chevy, GMC, LB7 Duramax, 6.5L diesel, etc. ) and list any mods.
Have you checked for any codes?

·
Premium Member
18,309 Posts
What position is the gear selector in when you attempt 4low?

IIRC, it must be in Neutral (N).

·
Administrator
21,811 Posts
given details, is not enough?
The more info you can provide about your vehicle, the more accurate advice can be provided without members trying to guess what you may or may not have..
Listing things like engine ( Duramax, 6.5L Diesel, etc) and all mods can help give you faster answers.
(y)

56 Posts
The book will tell you the best way to shift into 4L is to put it in neutral and be rolling 2-3mph. I say stop the vehicle, put it in neutral, hit 4L, and wait for it to quit blinking before dropping into gear. but I don’t think we have the same transfer case since you have a 1500hd and have an AUTO button. When in doubt, consult with Manuel (the manual).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Every 4wd truck I've driven since the 1970s required you to have the transmission in neutral in order to shift into low range. I can't imagine the OP's truck is any different.
It sounds to me like operator error. Put the transmission in neutral and then try it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

So there is a known issues with the selector switch, if you search on youtube you will find a lot of info on it. Sometimes you can pull the switch and hit the bad solder joints with a solder iron and get it working again.

The next most likely candidate is the transfer case motor.

Also when servicing that particular xfer case, be sure to use the correct fluid, it is expensive and the color is blue, you can roach it real quick with the wrong fluid.

Also, just an FYI, there are different xfer cases based on the vehicle packages, I am guessing that you have a Z71 or one of the luxury packages based on your description.

So it would help if you did put in your vehicle specs :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.