Diesel Place banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Wana thank everybody for the replies!!! Sum good thoughts!!!! Iv decided to go down to the smaller 5r and get the 35' unit. Its at the same site but instead of the 398 im gettin model 302. Lacks a cpl features i want but lacks the danger too.

·
Registered
470 Posts
just figured id share. Ive pulled a 94 k3500 extended cab dually on a bumper pull trailer rated at 7000lbs behind my 9200lbs rated truck over Berthoud pass (not sure of grades, but climbs quicker that I-70) without any issues. I am guessing i was about 4000 over cgvwr. Stayed cool and didnt even break a sweat going up and in tow haul mode i barely even touched the brakes coming down the other side. I am planning on getting a 5er and towing my 22 foot boat (weighs about 7000 loaded) with my 3/4. to be fair i plan on putting overload springs on mine but dont feel there is concern. I also have experience in class 8's so im not the average driver, Its largely about driver capabilities.
Huh, how on earth were you 4k over the your trucks 22k GCWR pulling a trailer with just a 94 ec one ton on it? Unless your trailer is from one of those class 8s you used to drive or you had a 2 cubic yards of topsoil in the bed I'd say you were at least 4k UNDER your GCWR.

·
Registered
470 Posts
There is no doubt, it will pull it. You have basically the same engine, tranny and rear axle ratio as a 1-ton. My biggest concern would be tires and sway control. I wouldn't feel safe towing at hwy speeds even close to the tires max. load capacity. I've had rear tires melt, actually throw globs of molten rubber from the treads and melted rubber oozing from the rim area when driving at speeds over 50 mph. with tires loaded just over the max. load cap. Dually's give you a larger footprint in addition to 2 more tires worth of load cap. It could take a wreck to find out what else it could cost you. It's just not worth the gamble. IMHOP
I agree with this, a 2500HD with a 42' Toy Hauler is a very bad idea. Cross winds and turns would be white knuckled. A dually or a 2011 3500 SRW would be the safer choice and it seems the OP agrees.

CONGRATS on the new trailer, you'll have many happy (and safe) miles in it and your 2500 I'm sure.:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
yeah i def agree and didnt want the turns at interstate speeds to hav me all gripped up. got the smaller trailer and and i'l suck it up for a ltl while till i can save enough for a cxt or kodiac or something like that :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was going by truck (9200) and trailer(7000) for a total of 16200. Im estimating with all extra weight included i was around 20000 total weight. 22000 rating is the max regardless of what the trailer can handle. even if your trailer can handle 20000 your max total weight can only be 22000

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was going by truck (9200) and trailer(7000) for a total of 16200. Im estimating with all extra weight included i was around 20000 total weight. 22000 rating is the max regardless of what the trailer can handle. even if your trailer can handle 20000 your max total weight can only be 22000
I know this, I just posted the GCWR of your truck was 22k and correctly estimated you were well below this. I'm just trying to figure out why you said you were 4k over your GCWR if you knew the numbers?

(btw, tone is hard to convey on the internet, I'm not bashing just pointing out things aren't adding up):)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Who ever said air bags aren't all that is so correct. I learned quite a bit about suspensions from Snowmobiles and to a lesser degree a dirt bike that I had.

A suspension system is all about weight carrying capability and how much travel you have. You want to be able to use all the travel because shortening the travel just gets you bottoming out and beating and banging on things. Snowmobiles are probably the limit because they are heavy and take the full beating and suspension travel that a dirt bike would. So now to air bags. They really are not designed to carry weight because in order to do that they have to be full enough to have their travel limited. Limit the travel and your beating and banging. So really if your going to pull these monster loads and i'm thinking of going to 2400 lbs of pin on my next 5'er you re-spring and then add some airbags if need be for that 1 to 2" of fine tuning in road height you may want back. I put an Alpine on my truck last weekend as I'm thinking of buying one. 12K with 2400 pins and close to 38'. It dropped my truck 4". If I try to make that up with airbags well I'm going to limit my suspension travel, take away the action of the shocks, etc, etc. I'm not making use of my suspension. Face it if airbags were all that they would be standard equipment.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Who ever said air bags aren't all that is so correct. I learned quite a bit about suspensions from Snowmobiles and to a lesser degree a dirt bike that I had.

A suspension system is all about weight carrying capability and how much travel you have. You want to be able to use all the travel because shortening the travel just gets you bottoming out and beating and banging on things. Snowmobiles are probably the limit because they are heavy and take the full beating and suspension travel that a dirt bike would. So now to air bags. They really are not designed to carry weight because in order to do that they have to be full enough to have their travel limited. Limit the travel and your beating and banging. So really if your going to pull these monster loads and i'm thinking of going to 2400 lbs of pin on my next 5'er you re-spring and then add some airbags if need be for that 1 to 2" of fine tuning in road height you may want back. I put an Alpine on my truck last weekend as I'm thinking of buying one. 12K with 2400 pins and close to 38'. It dropped my truck 4". If I try to make that up with airbags well I'm going to limit my suspension travel, take away the action of the shocks, etc, etc. I'm not making use of my suspension. Face it if airbags were all that they would be standard equipment.
Agreed. For Class 6 and above they make sense, but anything below that I won't use them. They simply mask the symptoms of a pickup that's grossly overloaded until one day something goes wrong.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, I was all set to throw in my 2 cents, but I see a few posts above that you already made you choice. For what it's worth, I think you made the right decision. As has been said, the truck will pull the load, but the heavier you get, the less "wiggle room" you have in an emergency situation which can cause your driving conditions go to **** in a hurry. Congrats on the new 5er!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts