Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Yeah. Idk about what the book says and what not but yeah it will pull it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It will pull it, but I think you'll be over weight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heres the thing... its guna be pulled a lot of miles! recently iv been from nashville to gillette wy and then to upper montana and will be back to nashville in a cpl weeks it looks like so i dont wana hafta fight that thing on a 26hr drive! is it guna be too much weight? or just too much trailer over all? or is it just one of those things that "they" dont recomend???

·
Registered
180 Posts
I tow about the same weight but my 2500HD sits down I had a dually and the truck was way happier under load power no problem your good for 10 tons.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The motor will pull it but it is way too much trailer for a 3/4 ton. At 2K lbs of tongue that will drop a 3/4 ton pretty good. 2700lb pin would be a joke.

I would find a good spring guy and have the truck re-sprung to 3500 springs. This must be all aftermarket also as 3500's in these year trucks are all long bed. After that I would put airbags on it to boot. All in all if you want to do it "right" you want a dually with that size trailer. I would also think about a larger trans pan

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Legally......you'll be illegal unless you pull that trailer completely empty and get some of the pin weight off the truck.

Technically it's doable, the key here is getting the right wheels and tires for the load you'll be putting in the bed. Your truck weights ~3,000 lb's on the rear axle, if you load that trailer up with your normal camping essentials you'll be right near 3,000 lb's worth of pin weight which will put you right at 6,000 lb's on the rear axle and is right up against what GM says the truck can do. Your tires are rated for 3024 lb's a piece so all is good in the world at this pin weight. In the real world you're going to have way more pin weight probably 3500 or so which is solidly in dually teritory.

I would like for all of the weight police in the room to sit down and try not to get dizzy when I tell you this........I have a ~4,000 lb's pin weight on my SRW truck. The trailer weights 15,500 lb's which puts me just over the rated GCVW of the truck which is 22,000 lb's. I'm at 22,500. Yep it's way over what GM says the truck will do. All I have done is added air bags that require 40 psi to level (rated to 90psi) and swapped to tires that are rated for the weight (hankooks @ 3750 lb's). The rear axle, frame, brakes, engine, trans are all the same as a dually, only the spring pack and the extra rear tires differentiate the 1 tons from the 3/4 tons. This isn't legal.....I'm well aware and take the risk. Every DOT weigh station employee I've spoken to laughs when I ask them if they care. Basically they don't get involved unless it's over 26,000 lb's and has a DOT sticker on it or should have one on it.

My personal experience is that the the truck is rock stable with my 35' 5'er. It is sensitive to leveling the trailer to the truck. If I jack the airbags up too much trying to get some weight off the rear tires the rig will chuck across expansion joints and dips. If I level the camper it rides great. I've taken this trailer over mountains with 11% grades and switch backs so tight I have to pull into the other lane to keep from hitting the guard rails. I've lost a tire off the trailer got into cross winds that will flip an 18 wheeler and have never had to do anything but slow down from 70 mph to 60 mph in the harshest conditions.

In short the truck will do it, a dually will do it better. You just have to ask yourself if dealing with a truck that is 2' longer and 2' wider is worth the peace of mind of having a truck that is legally stickered for the weight. Not even considering the $$ it will cost to swap trucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have grossed 37k truck, trailer, and hay and pulled it fine with my 2500 ccsb lbz. Go approximately 250 miles each trip. Also haul cows with our 3500 dually lbz and go from Kentucky to Florida with no problems. Gross probably 35k on each trip.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
LMMGuy,

What your doing is probably not for most or even 10% of us. Your truck, your life, have at it.

Your butt feel of rock solid is only that just a feel not based and in fact or anything else. Airbags are to level a load not to support it and the manufacturers put heavier springs on to support more weight--- FACT. 2700 lbs is too much pin weight for a 3/4 ton set of springs---- FACT. At a minimum he should re-spring and add airbags. As for myself I wouldn't put 2700lbs in any 3/4 ton. I like to have a safety margin and most people do or they wouldn't buy insurance policies.

Finally it seems like your on some type of personal crusade via your similar arguments on the towing board. You have done some of your homework to support your claims as far as legality is concerned. You can add tire capacities but where are you spring rate calculations, etc, etc.

Fine do your thing just don't push others to do the same. That makes you know better then PETA or people telling you to believe in their religion and not yours. At face value I'll give you the benefit of being better then that.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Legally......you'll be illegal unless you pull that trailer completely empty and get some of the pin weight off the truck.

Technically it's doable, the key here is getting the right wheels and tires for the load you'll be putting in the bed. Your truck weights ~3,000 lb's on the rear axle, if you load that trailer up with your normal camping essentials you'll be right near 3,000 lb's worth of pin weight which will put you right at 6,000 lb's on the rear axle and is right up against what GM says the truck can do. Your tires are rated for 3024 lb's a piece so all is good in the world at this pin weight. In the real world you're going to have way more pin weight probably 3500 or so which is solidly in dually teritory.

I would like for all of the weight police in the room to sit down and try not to get dizzy when I tell you this........I have a ~4,000 lb's pin weight on my SRW truck. The trailer weights 15,500 lb's which puts me just over the rated GCVW of the truck which is 22,000 lb's. I'm at 22,500. Yep it's way over what GM says the truck will do. All I have done is added air bags that require 40 psi to level (rated to 90psi) and swapped to tires that are rated for the weight (hankooks @ 3750 lb's). The rear axle, frame, brakes, engine, trans are all the same as a dually, only the spring pack and the extra rear tires differentiate the 1 tons from the 3/4 tons. This isn't legal.....I'm well aware and take the risk. Every DOT weigh station employee I've spoken to laughs when I ask them if they care. Basically they don't get involved unless it's over 26,000 lb's and has a DOT sticker on it or should have one on it.

My personal experience is that the the truck is rock stable with my 35' 5'er. It is sensitive to leveling the trailer to the truck. If I jack the airbags up too much trying to get some weight off the rear tires the rig will chuck across expansion joints and dips. If I level the camper it rides great. I've taken this trailer over mountains with 11% grades and switch backs so tight I have to pull into the other lane to keep from hitting the guard rails. I've lost a tire off the trailer got into cross winds that will flip an 18 wheeler and have never had to do anything but slow down from 70 mph to 60 mph in the harshest conditions.

In short the truck will do it, a dually will do it better. You just have to ask yourself if dealing with a truck that is 2' longer and 2' wider is worth the peace of mind of having a truck that is legally stickered for the weight. Not even considering the $$ it will cost to swap trucks.
I run a very similar setup with very similar results. The truck handles it very well.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Listen, I presented the facts and let the OP figure it out for himself. I VERY plainly let him know that it's illegal and that a dually was a better idea did I not? The truth is that there isn't that much difference between a dually and a 3/4 ton there really isn't.

About your spring rate argument, air bags or metal springs they do the SAME thing. Put 4,000 lb's of weight on the truck and you need 4,000 lb's of force pushing back to maintain ride height doesn't matter if it's coming from an air spring or a metal spring. Air bags are great for the simple fact that they are adjustable.

The stability you feel from a dually is from the fact that you have 8 sidewalls instead of 4 resisting the load from pushing the back end of the truck around. If you take care of the springs and get a tire rated for the weight that is the only difference between a dually and a single wheel truck.

I'm not on a personal vendetta to prove to the world that a 2500 is better than a 3500, I'm simply bringing the tech and letting guys think things through for themselfs. Simply regurgitating what the manual says with no explanation does nothing to educate anyone.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Seriously :confused: Whats with the "towing police" around here?
I cant count how many times Ive seen F-250s, 2500HDs, and Ram 2500s hauling 35'+ 5ers or other trailers that are well over 15k lbs.. Hell Ive seen countless 1/2 tons doing it (not safe). I wouldnt think twice about hauling my friends 40' 5er. My father inlaw hauls a truck camper that is about 3900# loaded with his 05 2500HD, his tires are under recommended weight rating but intends to up the load rating next time he buys tires, air bags make up for the weight.

If it were me I would go ahead and do it. With a good hitch, air bags, proper tires, and sensible driving I doubt you would find much difference by upgrading to a 3500.

I once saw a big old lincoln continental towing a 20-25' bumper pull travel trailer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
2700lb pin weight is no problem. I run about 2800 on mine with my 40ft toyhauler it weighs about 13,000 dry and about 15,500 loaded. You will need airbags cause it squats my truck about 2in. But it handles great and stops just fine

·
Registered
386 Posts
If I were you.....I'd be way more concerned about "will it STOP it" as opposed to "will it PULL it".
"Will it stop?"- I don't see the concern here? It's been repeated several times that a 2500 and a 3500 are the same mechanically besides the springs and the tires. The brakes are exactly the same... If anything you will stop better with a 3/4 than a 1 ton due to less rotational mass. The only questionable difference between the two is stability. That's not even a question to be real here. A 1 ton WILL handle the load better and resist being pushed around by a bigger trailer than a 3/4 will any day of the week.

·
Diesel Technician, Formerly Mwy123
963 Posts
Where I come from its not fully loaded till the rear bumper hits the ground! But in seriousness, you can pull a dozer with a 1 ton, same dozer with a 3/4 will just squat it down a little more. Truck has penty of pulling power, your trailer has brakes so stopping wont be a problem either.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I tow a Sunnybrook 31bwks. I towed it at first with a 2005 2500 D/A and towed no problem, hell the truck hardly did a squat. In 2007 we went fulltiming in the RV so we got the present dually. Of course the new one has a little more HP and sits level with the trailer on. The BIG difference I noticed right away was the stability. Used to get a little push when big rigs passed by but not anymore and I don't get that feeling of being pushed around a turn.
I still see a whole lot of the 2500s towing 5th wheels. I have even seen a 1500 or two towing one.......now that's plain stupid.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
What goes uphill will go downhill real fast. I'd try and learn the engine/trans brake tricks with that truck. It can do it but the driver is the clincher. There's a point where too big is just that. Duallies step up here and make a big diff. The owner has to have all kinds of details on each truck for all around use but I believe big has a place where this trailer/weight etc. comes on. Seen too many wind blown wrecks and runaways to not remember about slow has a place with stop being most important. If it doesn't have a function sometime for brakes etc. You'll need a plan to shut it down.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What goes uphill will go downhill real fast. I'd try and learn the engine/trans brake tricks with that truck. It can do it but the driver is the clincher. There's a point where too big is just that. Duallies step up here and make a big diff. The owner has to have all kinds of details on each truck for all around use but I believe big has a place where this trailer/weight etc. comes on. Seen too many wind blown wrecks and runaways to not remember about slow has a place with stop being most important. If it doesn't have a function sometime for brakes etc. You'll need a plan to shut it down.

That's just it bud, a dually has the SAME brakes and the SAME engine as the 3/4 ton. Other than the stabilty dually's are the same darn truck. That's the facts no matter how many people want to believe that 1 tons have magical brakes and engines they just don't.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts