Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the area to post such a question.

My little brother found a 2002 HD2500 which was originally a gasser. The motor is junk (locked up solid), and the trans was slipping something horrible before the engine went.

One of our good friends just successful put a Cummins in his Super Duty, and my little brother is woundering if he could do the same to the HD. :badidea: We've found a trans adapter which will mate the Cummins to an Allison, but is there room under the hood for that string bean 6 cylinder. We've got access to cheap crate motor Cummins engines, thats why we're looking into that instead of the Duramax.

Just curious if anyone else has ever attempted such a swap, or crunched the numbers and found it to be impossible. I did a search on the net, and didn't find a whole lot.

Any info on the matter would be great......Thanks.......

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
i sure with enough fab work, anything is possible. sounds like a lot of work to me.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Interestingly, the cummins/ford conversions are quite popular. They even have their own website.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its going to be a PITA to wire a gas truck for a diesel engine..JMO
Always up for a challenge. I'll have to bust out the trusty tape, and see just how much fab'n is required. I'm the engineer, little brothers the machinist. May need to implement a live front diff too. Hmmmmm.........:confused:

Being differnet isn't always easy. As far as my little brother...."he ain't right". He's always up for going against the grain.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I was considering this swap with a friend of mine in his gasser, I think the only fitment problem is gonna be the differential(SFA swap anyone?) because of the height of the engine, as for the electronics that will be the least of your problems, however if you use an allison with it, it may get a little interesting. Did it have the 6.0 in it or the 8.1, IIRC they put a different axle/frame in that truck, its a bit weaker.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the original motor is a 6.0, but I'll have to check.

Not sure we'll be jumping on this one write away, just thought I'd get a few opinions on the matter before I spent anymore time researching.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Little brothers going to have to wait, I've got my own pickup to toy with.:ro)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts