Diesel Place banner

Will GM Nav work without the GPS antenna?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Diesel_Day_Dreamin 
#1 ·
Well I am still waiting for GMPartsDirect to send me the GPS Antenna. What I am wondering is if I go ahead and upgrade the LUX amp and install the Nav head unit will the radio part work. I have an chance to get by the dealership tomorrow if needed to clear the theftlock, so I would like to upgrade those two pieces tonight. I figure if/when I ever get the parts from GMparts direct I can add the antenna as well install the CDX. I know the Navigation functions won't work without the antenna, I just don't know if the head unit will work without it plugged in. Will it come up with an error saying no antenna connected and not let me do anything else? Or will it function as normal just won't have GPS capability? Thanks for help

#3 ·
Ok that sounds like exactly what I am wanting to do. Thanks for the info

#4 ·
The Nav antennas can be found on ebay, brand new for $64 and shipped next day... GMPartsDirect has to special order them in. Expect your order to arrive in 4 to 6 weeks after placing it I'm afraid... That's how long it took my XM antenna wire to arrive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.