Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you bomb up an 8.1L as much as a Duramax without having to worry about blowing it? I know the Duramax has put out some pretty impressive HP numbers, but will the 8.1 do the same? It seems like a 496 cu inch engine should be capable of a lot.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Blower (Big one!)

Nitrous (Lots of it)

Cam

Pistons

Heads

Intake

Exhaust

Adding all this will easily out power a Duramax. But you'll loose ALL driveability/streetability, and will cost you close to $10,000+

Nothing beats a Duramax for cheap reliable/driveable power. Where else can you plug in a few wires and gain 150hp and close to 400 ft/lbs of torque for under $1000?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree. If you want big power and big torque the Duramax is the only way to go. The new LLY's are awesome.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A radix blower and L.T. headers.That will be good for at least 400-450 rwhp.

·
Registered
334 Posts
First I know the Dmax's are just silly with horsepower, but seem to me that you pay $5500-$6000 for a Dmax plus extra $1200 for an allison trans if you want it. Then put another $1000 or so into mods to get silly horsepower doing it right.

Total $8000 Just for Dmax with auto and mods and no mention that this a popular engine choice, will be paying top dollar.

Now take 8100 HD, $660 for engine up. remember that a 8.1 can come with the 4L85E at no charge.(not sure on that).

Total $660 for 8100 HD with auto

take $8000 - $660 = $7340 for on the 8.1

list the possible 8.1 mods:

$4000 for Turbo and Intercooler

Exhaust $800

trans $1500

turbo cam $500

ECU programming $1000

High flow heads $2700

Intake $700

Total $11200.00 With about a easliy 1000 hp on 93 or 91 pump or with selectable boost go with 103 race gas at the track with a very respectable 1400+hp possibly lots more. Also remember that you could probably pickup an 8.1 HD for a Good Low price Since their are not a popular engine choice. And mileage would 1-3mph less if you stay out of the boost. All remember that the 8.1 comes from the marine division of GM. And Have set new Higher levels of performance and reliblity

I base this info my window sticker off my truck and on build ups of 400+cubic inch Small blocks with twin turbo that basically run on the street with engine idle close to stock. Their range is 800hp to 1000hp on the street.They are good Rice Killers. I seen and experience a corvette with a 450ci with twin turbos that has dyno'ed at 980hp on 93 pump gas and around 1350 on race gas. MMMMMMMMM horsepower MMMMMMMM

I'd spend the extra 3000+grand and have 1400+ horsepower and a easy 1000hp on the street.

That my .02cents

·
Registered
687 Posts
Quick.....Pinch yourself!

Wake up....You must be dreaming!

What you say could be done....buy why?

Also, the only truck you can get a 4L85E in behind the 8.1 is the Suburban.

All others use the Allsion.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Not true you can get alvanche with the 8.1 and 4L85E and there 2500HD 8.1 4L85E sit on the lot in my hometown.

No I am not dreaming, Soon has The truck is payed for, say hello turbo!! And then watch Diesels a Gasser coming to get you!!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
True about the Avalanche. I often forget about them (for good reason!) when talking about trucks.

But....I am a doubting Thomas. I'm gonna need proof of that 2500HD with 8.1 and 4L85E.

Unless it's a ONE-OFF Factory test mule, it was NEVER offered in a pickup behind the 8.1L.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry Just checked gmbuypower.com and with that dealer it was a 6.0 the dealer ad was printed wrong. But been thinking about switching trannys anyway, since the 4L85E put more power to the ground than the allison. And please don't tell that it is weaker than allison, cause its basically turbo 400 with overdrive. Besides I bought my truck brand new for $26,000.00 (2001 2500HD 8100 allison LS 4x4) Same truck with the diesel(same color even) went for 33,000.00

7000G's to throw at the 8.1

Whether you buy a diesel or gas, when modded it you end up at about the same price dollar wise for total truck cost.

It just if you want 1000+hp or 1000+ftlbs

Lawnboy: why do all this stuff to an 8.1 then why do this to a dmax?

If you say that you buy it and just add chip that easy, no work. It because I enjoy building stuff with my two hands, greater pride and value. This I am currently building an 1953 Chevrolet thriftmaster pickup with a 632ci with one big cam for now(I have alway wanted one)from the ground up. which in current form is at 850hp normally asp. and not done yet. I have been told just buy one completed, what fun would that be?

What you can do to a dmax you can do to a chev big block!

Gasser coming for you!

Edited by: 8100hammer

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
what kind of streetability are you gonna get with that 1000 hp 8.1? Oh, your not.. ok. When you weight out the cost difference between the two,your only talking 4g or so.. You pay the 1200 for the ally either way. I get 17mpg with my ~425 rwhp diesel and have less then a grand into it for 'extras'

·
Registered
334 Posts
You got the 8.1 beat there far as mileage goes but I don't think 17mpg when you on full boil. The question was can you bomb the 8.1 as much as the dmax. Yes with a few hard parts you can. But a bombed 8.1 as you guys here call it, it will out accerate the diesel, this why they use them is drag racing( gas motor) Yes I know there pro and con to the gas motor.

On the street, you to pick a book on how make cams.

gasser coming for you!!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Gasser comin for me now or later
? Super Diesels comin for you now
!! Edited by: Super Diesel

·
Registered
334 Posts
the Gasser with be coming alot later, Currently money is going towards 1953 Chevy truck with 632ci big block. The engine has recently sapped most of the cash on hand. Next is to cage it. Then to build 4L80E to stand behind it(this part is going to be a tough one). 1953 chevy is one gasser that will blow your doors off at half throttle, So diesel make sure that your doors are welded shut for safety!!!!!

Later than sooner a Gasser will be pulling past!!!!!
Edited by: 8100hammer

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Is it 4wd? Those are definitly major money pits. I've built a few things in my day, So I know what you mean. The ugly word of the month is STOCK. Super Diesel

·
Registered
334 Posts
NO, only two wheels of terror. I am building it as a ego killer thats why it says 305 ci on the side of the hood. My buddy(does not know about engines) has 2002 camero ss, basically the Reason why building a 632 ci , it always camero this camero that SS this SS that. Time is coming soon to do some f-body and stang hunting.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Hammer, quit screwing around and put the 632 in your 01, or find another truck w/ motor trouble and put it in.

Eric, what happened to the Ramjet 572 (i think that was right #)?

Dad wants to put one in his farm truck.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It is very tempting to, But right now the 8.1 is my daily driver. Plus I have to keep thinking house. Just had a baby girl last oct. I must think house. It will be a while yet before anything happens.

These diesel guys think to you can't have big power out of a gas motor and still be very streetable. But a 572 come out of the crate with 700 hp. wow!!!

besides the 53 when complete could those diesel anyday of week with only 2-wheel drive!!hahaha

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Heres a good question. I don't have a diesel yet but I am wondering if you could tell me whoever says that an 8.1 as modded hp wise as a Dmax can get as good fuel mileage. Also trailer pulling ease. Longevity of the motors with power mods. And so on
P.S, I would hope if I got a Duramax it would be better fuel mileage(this is with some air and box and straight pipe mods) than my 96 Z71 ext cab with 4" susp. lift 33x12.5x15 tires and exhaust,throttle body spacer.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The diesels not only get better fuel mileage, they make more power doin it becase they are a more efficient engine design. Diesel has more power in it per gallon than gasoline and they last four to five times or more longer than gas doin it becase of the tough build need for the diesels. Gas had its place, it's just not dug yet. Oh, I almost forgot. The price of my fuel just went up to .47 cents in my garage last night. Thank the good lord you can make diesel fuel out of old cooking oil in the garage. Super Diesel Edited by: Super Diesel

·
Registered
334 Posts
How long will your diesel last at 750hp and 1200ftlbs setting on your module. I say we go out for a 30 mile race. and see what happens.

diesel- 1600 degrees egt - mile out- melted

gas - using more fuel - still pulling hard for the 30 miles and more

1 - 20 of 213 Posts