Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a fuel filter replacement on 2-1-04. Eric's method worked great took about 45 minutes to complete
-- not too bad for first change and future changes will go smoother. Filter had 8300 miles on it and was only about 1/3 used up. It could have gone much longer except had a great deal of rust in the can (have not used additives).

Questions are as follows: 1) how tight are you guys installing the WIF sensor? I hand tightened mine and then went about another 1/2 to 1 turn with wrench-- did not want to break the thing since it is plastic. Now it appears that I may have some "weepage" ,not really a leak, from around the sensor/bottom of the filter. 2) If "weepage" continues could I tighten the sensor a little more while it is in place or do ya'll (that's right I am from South Carolina)
think that it would damage the o-ring on the sensor.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I dont think you should have gone more than 1/4 turn past hand tight on the o-ring. I would get a new O-Ring instead of tightening down on those plastic threads more..

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I too think 1/2 to 1 turn may be too much.

Order a spare WIF Sensor from Eric for $30 and you'll be ready. It's made of plastic, and someday it may break when you're replacing the fuel filter, and without a spare, your SOL.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
That white plastic seems to be a real tough variety. I know the first time I took mine off it was real tight. Never heard of any problems with them stripping or breaking.

I use a large pair of channel locks.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Remember the filter is on the inlet side of the pump. You are trying to keep air out more than the fuel in. "o" rings only need to be compressed 35% to do their job. I put my filter on hand tight and about 1/4 turn past that on the separator. Over tightening will bunch the "o" ring up every time. Later! Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts