Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a terrible time getting the water in fuel sensor unpluged. This is especially true when changing a filter in -0 degree weather along side the road!!

On my truck it WAS mounted down on the valve cover, under the charge air cooler pipe. Now its up above and easy to get to!!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Am I looking at this right? Just add some wire in to make it longer and easier to get at?

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir! You can re-route the harness end upward and that pesky little plug is right up there for all to see!;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine is broken off!

I just changed my filter and some dumb a** before me did not disconnect it obviously , and the wires are broken off so short I cannot even add anything to it. Anyone know how much those sensors are to replace... or where to look to find one other than the dealership? Thanks.

Storman22

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Note to self:

Christmas present idea for Rick Lance - Heat Gun to use on shrink wrap instead of Bic lighter.....:rolleyes: :D

Seriously, nice tip....:)

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
storman22;1571741; said:
I just changed my filter and some dumb a** before me did not disconnect it obviously , and the wires are broken off so short I cannot even add anything to it. Anyone know how much those sensors are to replace... or where to look to find one other than the dealership? Thanks.

Storman22
I know for sure that Eric at Merchant Automotive has them.;)

minisub;1571745; said:
Note to self:

Christmas present idea for Rick Lance - Heat Gun to use on shrink wrap instead of Bic lighter.....:rolleyes: :D

Seriously, nice tip....:)
Make it one of those real small ones and send it early Please!):h

The only thing you need to watch out for is once you unplug it, drop it straight down below the filter and make sure it doesn't get tangled up with anything when removing the filter.;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great , thanks!

RickDLance;1571762; said:
I know for sure that Eric at Merchant Automotive has them.;)

Make it one of those real small ones and send it early Please!):h

The only thing you need to watch out for is once you unplug it, drop it straight down below the filter and make sure it doesn't get tangled up with anything when removing the filter.;)

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
do you need to keep this sensor plugged in? Mine always says wif. How do I make it go away?

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may have a bad sensor. I'm not sure, but I think you can test the wif with a simple continuity meter. Just remove it from the filter and move the "float" up and down by hand while reading the continuity.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Good idea. I hate trying to get it plugged back in...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
RickDLance;1571697; said:
Yes sir! You can re-route the harness end upward and that pesky little plug is right up there for all to see!;)
Rick, where did you find the extra plugs to make a jumper? Thanks...

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I simply cut the old lead and soldered in 10-12" of wire. By putting the original end back on I didn't need to buy anything but the wire.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
RickDLance;1572308; said:
I simply cut the old lead and soldered in 10-12" of wire. By putting the original end back on I didn't need to buy anything but the wire.
Thanks for the idea...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
RickDLance;1572308; said:
What size wire did you use?

·
Registered
395 Posts
You da man, great idea and many thanks!!

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
VC-17;1573195; said:
What size wire did you use?
I'll jump in on that. It's probably about a #18 but any wire that size or larger would work. I generally use #16 for just about any low amp automotive wiring.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was 16 gauge lamp cord that I used. I think the factory wiring is actually 22 gauge.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
RickDLance;1574411; said:
It was 16 gauge lamp cord that I used. I think the factory wiring is actually 22 gauge.
Thanks Rick, and you too bt.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Good tip for everyone. I have a xtra wif sensor already installed on a new filter ready to be installed when needed. This time of year, would save time and nerves for anyone who has to change one right now possibly when someone would get stuck on the open road. Like someone previously said, wif sensor avail. at www.gmdieseltech.com...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts