Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loosened the water drain valve on my stock GM filter to check for water and nothing at all came out, is this normal? Shouldn't some fuel come out at least?
I know I opened it far enough, cause I turned it all the way out.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
It's because it is a vacuum draw system. If you open the bleeder on top, fuel and any accumulated water will drain. I would only let it run for 5 seconds or less.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hoot, I must of had A brain fart!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I first push on the primer pump a couple of times to build a little pressure (no need to open bleeder valve) and then open the water drain on the bottom of the filter. I have done this the last couple of times and it seems to work. Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
396 Posts
Has anyone have their "water in fuel" lite come on every morning for the first 30 minutes?????? I do only when the morning's are around 70 or less....I've drained and checked with those water sampling strips and have NEVER had any water.

I suspect a faulty sensor, but wanted to know if I'm the only one seeing this...........

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey

I think you are the first to have the wif light come on at all

WOW
.But anyhow I would think it is defective as it should stay on all the time if it had wif imho.Maybe the resident tech
has a better answer

·
Registered
227 Posts
Are you guys saying we should routinely drain the filter even if the WIF light isn't on? I don't recall the owners manual suggesting anything about it unless it becomes necessary to purge the filter or the entire system.

·
Registered
994 Posts
With the pictures of rusting fuel filters floating around, I have gotten into the habit of openning the drain valve at the beginning of each month. I have not found any accumulation of water. However, some sediment has come out. Have been doing this for about 6 months now. I don't really feel strongly one way or the other about whether the monthly draining should be done.

I guess if you not using an emulsifying additive, there could be a small accumulation of water in the bottom of the filter. This could then lead to filter rust. A maintenance tasks that has no down side, other than taking time.

What does everyone else think? A waste of time or good preventative maintenance?

·
Registered
369 Posts
OC, i do the same thing with mine, takes a few minutes to do and can hurt nothing, just lose a few onces of fuel each time its worth it to get an idea of what quality fuel your getting and if any water is accumulating, or any other sediment crap. I'm doing it about every other tank full which is about once a month

1 - 9 of 9 Posts