Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been experiencing a wierd "chugging", lets call it at start up. A lot of white smoke and chugging and then goes away after "wait to start" light cycles a few more times. Is this signs of injectors failing? Truck has 125k on clock with what I think is orginal injectors. No other problems and drivability is fine after. Well there is ono other problem it seems to have decreased fuel mileage lately, does cooler weather cause increased fuel delievery like 'fuelly' cars.?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Look at FAQ for troubleshooting glow system I suspect your problem is in that area 1 or more falling down on the job

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would suspect bad glow plugs. When its cold, if you get even 1 of the 8 glow plugs not working, you'll get the symptoms you described. Basically the cylinder with the bad glow plug isn't firing for the first few seconds of cold start, and dumping unburnt or partially burnt fuel into the exhaust, causing the smoke and chugging. After it runs for a few seconds, the combustion temps in the bad glow plug cylinders eventually gets hot enough from the compression that the fuel ignites completely and then it fires normally like a diesel should, the smoke stops, and it smooths out.

Again, all it takes is 1 glowplug that is bad when it is cold to create quite a bit of smoke and chugging. More of both the more bad glowplugs there are. The good news is glowplugs are relatively cheap and easy to replace. You can use an ohmeter to find the bad ones.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a FAQ on the glow plug test? Or is it simple to explain?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Yes it's in FAQ, yes it's easy to explain how to check the plug but that is only part of it as 454 had in his post, also may be wires and glow control as detailed in FAQ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts