Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone complains about the factory Racor filter, but I have yet to hear of someone bypassing it in favor of both aftermarket primary AND secondary filters. With so many choices for aftermarket filters available, I would have thought someone would just bypass the factory filter altogether. Especially now that the Racor RK32313 kit is out, and can tie in to the DIC, and maintain a fuel heater.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Warranty would be the only issue I can think of.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking it could be left under the hood with all electrical connections intact. Simply connecting the input hose to the output to bypass would allow it to be quickly reconnected for warranty.

Even if it was completely removed, it could probably be replaced in 30 minutes or less.Edited by: Amric

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
true, still a PITA if something comes up that you have go in the shop a couple times for in a quick period. I Say go for it if you like.

One other reason that might scare some away would be the possibility of too much restriction. Nick claims no additional vacuum with his cat setup and the fact that you are replacing one filter with another I can't see this being an issue.

Another concern for some would be cost I suppose. You would definately need to find a filter head with a primer. Depending on your climate possibly a heater as well.

Of course a lift pump would solve the primer and restriction problem but not the cost problem.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't think the complaint is that the filter is bad, it's just not enough by itself. Why remove a system that works?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Two filters are still better than one! Later! Frank

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The point was why not use 2 Cat filters or 2 Racor R60T filters, or some other combination that did not include the factory filter. This way, the issues with rust, and it rating of 50-60% efficiency can be eliminated.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Well, I'm using my OEM Racor as a 50-60% efficient "roughing filter!"

·
Registered
448 Posts
Amric, your right. Warrenty, expense and laziness are what are stopping me now. I'm waiting for an adapter to be built to allow me to put a good filter on the factory head.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I contacted Raycor today and they said the factory filter is 95% efficient at trapping 4 micron particles.

Raycor said the 660R with the two micron filter is 95% efficient at trapping 2 micron particles.

He also said he believes the filter media is the same in both filters.

Doesn't totally make sense now does it?

Tom

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
It makes sense. The 660 has a lot more filter media in it than the oem. More media, better filtration.

·
Registered
509 Posts
More media with the same sized holes does not mean better filtration, just longer filtration before it becomes clogged.

·
Registered
693 Posts
wannabee said:
>He also said he believes the filter media is the same in both filters.

>Doesn't totally make sense now does it?
Maybe he meant they both use the same type of media, but not the same exact media - for example, they both use their aqua-bloc 2 media, with one being "finer" than the other

- jeff

Edited by: dmax lover

1 - 14 of 14 Posts