Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '03 2500HD D/A. Bought in July '03 and have racked up 7500 miles so far. I bought a new fuel filter today and plan on installing it soon. I have not used any additive as of yet. What is the point of using an additive and what does it do? This is my first diesel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
HI

First time diezel owner as of 3 days ago. I have made up my decision not to use any additives and I am switching all fluids to AMZOIL Synthetics including air filter. I have received a lot of documents from an Amzoil dealer and I can share the contacts with you if you so desire. They provided me with a lot of documentation and I have my dealer's blessing to do so.

Enjoy your new toy. I am having a Hoot with mineEdited by: Canadian_Frank

·
Registered
509 Posts
Additives take care of water in the fuel, increase the cetane rating, increase lubricity of the fuel, keep the fuel from gelling when the temp drops, and are just an all around good thing. There are many owners who do not use them, it's a personal choice. After reading the forums I have decided it's the smart thing for me to do.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Additives come in many formulations and have different uses. I use an additive during the winter that has a package that at least:
<UL>
<LI>keeps the fuel from gelling
<LI>adds lubrication (To keep fuel from gelling most winter diesel is mixed with kerosene during the winter. This lowers the lubricity of the fuel.)
<LI>Separates any water in the fuel.</LI>[/list]

I am not decided as to continue using an additive year round for the lubricity and injector cleaning properties.

I don't think I need the Cetane improving qualities. The truck seems to run fine on regular diesel.Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since so much sulfur has been taken out of the fuel recently, I wanted the added lubricity for the injection system. That along with helping with water in the fuel, are my reasons for running it from day 1.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There is incredible variability in diesel fuel quality here in the U.S. The range of quality goes from barely meeting minimum to slightly above minimum. Of all the fuel analysis results completed from around the country there seems to be only one small area (Ohio) that has truly excellent diesel fuel in terms of cetane number (50 vs. 41 through 45, the norm). Thus using a fuel additive with cetane boost ensures optimum engine performance.
And as previously mentioned, the reduction in sulphur that occurred a few years ago decreased a significant lubricity agent in the fuel.
All diesel fuel contains some level of entrained water so, from my personal/professional experience, I use an additive which emulsifies entrained water to ensure that it does not separate in an unwanted area of the fuel system, causing rust, microbial growth and potential galling. Again since we have water in diesel, a rust preventive component of fuel additive is desirable. Finally an additive with lubricity enhancement is desirable ..
All of the above components in diesel fuel additive is just insurance. Some additives require only an ounce or two per tank full, so are very minimal in operational cost.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

·
Registered
22 Posts
George: New member and new lly GMC 3500 CC LLY/ALLISON 4x4 being delivered to me on Monday. I live in Ohio, Greenville Ohio, about 40 miles NW of Dayton. Does that mean that I don't have to worry about adding fuel additives? I'm a newby to diesels and I respect your knowledge and expertise.

Thanks, Al.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes, you are lucky to live in Ohio, in a way. BT Diesel Supreme IS the best diesel I have seen in the country to date; however, it is *very* difficult to find at retail stations. Some stations do sell it in the winter, however, come summer they switch back to regular #2. And even some BP stations sell blended instead of Supreme in the winter.. There are only 3 or 4 stations in central Ohio that sell true BP Supreme in the winter. None in summer.
I have my own 1,000 gallon tank and have it delivered to my door. It is water crystal clear and cannot be mistaken for the normal yellow run #2.. It has practically no odor and some incredibly good diesel fuel. The VW TDI group has a listing of current retails in Ohio who have supreme but, as I said, very, very few unfortunately.
It seems folks are more concerned with price/cheap diesel than to pay a premium for 'the best'..
And the fun part is, if one uses BP diesel supreme, BP will warrant injectors and pumps for 500,000 miles! And yes, all of my vehicles are registered with BP!
George Morrison

·
Registered
22 Posts
George: Thanks for the reply. We have a BP station here in town but unfortunatly they don't sell diesel. I wish I had a place to have a 1000 gal. tank, but that wouldn't do me any good when we start to travel. So I guess it would be benificial to me to start using a fuel additive right from the git go'

Thanks again Al.

·
Registered
26 Posts
George,

Could you supply a link to the VW TDI group were I can find the listing of retail stations that have the BP supreme diesel?

Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
Here's the link for BP that Georgecls was talking about

http://www.bpdirect.com/bpguarantee/index.html

BP Diesel Supreme Protection Promise
We'll guarantee your diesel vehicles' fuel pumps for up to 8 years and fuel injectors for up to 5 years!
Performance, protection, and a warranty. The BP Diesel Supreme Protection Promise helps protect your equipment and your wallet with a guarantee that features:
<UL class=Copy>
<LI>Up to 8 years parts and labor coverage for your fuel pumps
<LI>Up to 5 years parts and labor coverage for your fuel injectors
<LI>No enrollment fee
<LI>No deductibles to pay
<LI>Simple registration via www.bpdirect.com/guarantee or 1-866-BP-DIRECT, extension 5318
<LI>New and older vehicle registration
<LI>No restrictions on the number of diesel vehicles you register </LI>[/list]
Ice-Gard Guarantee
BP adds ICE-GARD additive all winter to BP Diesel Supreme to prevent fuel line freeze ups from stopping you. "You go, or BP pays the tow!"
<UL class=Copy>
<LI>Winter protection from November 15 through March 15
<LI>No registration necessary
<LI>Simple claim reporting </LI>[/list]Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I bought my truck I was assured by the dealer that additives were not necessary as long as I purchased my fuel from reputable stations that had high turnover. They also stated that Chevy did not reccommend the use of additives so, I decided not to use one.

Two weeks ago I apperently purchased some poor quality fuel and, after a cold night, it gelled on me. After I got the truck going again, It was loping at idle and defueling at about 40 MPH in 3rd gear. I replaced the fuel filter and all is right again.

Long story short, I will be using an additive from now on. Plus you get the added lubricity for the other fuel system components which should extend their service life.

I'm currently using the Power Service additive and I have no complaints yet...

Remember, do not use an alcohol based additive.

-Sloth

·
Registered
600 Posts
All you need is dated receipts showing you only use BP Diesel Supreme. Which is fine if you have one in your area and you never drive anywhere else. For those of us who travel, SOL.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Another lil set back with that:
BP Diesel Supreme Protection Promise Details
Eligibility
You may register your diesel vehicles or equipment with this program if

1. <LI>You are a farmer or other business user of BP Diesel Supreme and
    <LI>You are the original owner or lessee of your vehicle or equipment and
    <LI>You use BP Diesel Supreme exclusively in your vehicle or equipment </LI>

That also eliminates many of us. No matter, I'd use it if I could. BP is one of the largest, if not the largest, oil producers in the state but we have no BP stations up here!

·
Registered
394 Posts
You now know exactly why I invested in a 1,000 gallon tank and use only 50 cetane number BP Diesel Supreme in my 6 diesel engines.. And I have registered each vehicle with BP...
Additionally, I have a full synthetic 1 micron beta 2000 fuel filter on the pump equipped with a Filtermag and a 2 micron desiccant breather on the vent... And I add Primrose 405/409 to the tank prior to each fillup!
So, I have BP guaranteeing all of my injectors/pumps, I am running 12/10/8 diesel fuel with 20/30 ppm water levels...
i.e. I do practice what I preach...
George Morrison, STLE CLS

·
Registered
841 Posts
George, I wish I had your setup but I don't. So IF you were ME, what would you do.....I fill up at a very high volume truck stop. My filters seem pretty clean and the maintenance person told me they change the pump filters every three months or so. This is Mobil Diesel.

Right around the corner is a BP that sells Diesel Supreme. I put some in a jar and it is clear compared to normal #2. They say they sell 20,000 gals. a month and their diesel tank is filled 4-5x a month. When asked how often the filters are changed I was told "probably whenever they plug".

I always use Primrose, even when I did use the supreme. As of late I have been using JUST the Mobil because I trust that they know diesel at this location. My truck runs very smooth and I never noticed a performance or mileage increase with the supreme. But maybe it was a tiny bit quieter. Any suggestions? I do run a MEGA filter and I have thought of getting the fuel tested, but how do I tell my wife that I am spending $60 to test a few ounces of diesel?
SPICER

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
"And I have registered each vehicle with BP...
Additionally, I have a full synthetic 1 micron beta 2000 fuel filter on the pump equipped with a Filtermag and a 2 micron desiccant breather on the vent... And I add Primrose 405/409 to the tank prior to each fillup!
So, I have BP guaranteeing all of my injectors/pumps, I am running 12/10/8 diesel fuel with 20/30 ppm water levels... "

so george i also run 6 desiel impliments and over my life, maybe close to 50, hours have been from new to say 10,000 hrs, i run 3, one thousand gallon tanks, and use in the neiborhood of 20-30 thousand gallons a year, i have one filter on the one tank and have not changed it yet(not sure what sise) as for additives, cannot remeber adding anything, all fuel has been supplied by the same dealer over the years, all fuel has been dyed, for fArm use, i have been paying the bills for the last 20 years and so and we have not had injector or pump problems, nor have we had gelling with winter fuel, i do no of a pump problem we had but it had many hours on it, perkins motor i think it was, so my question is i do not think we have had just plain luck here, but could it be in canada our fuel just meets higher standards than what the us has, also a buddy that runs a excavating co, and has the same luck with no additives with many more desiels than me, we both have been using our local coop dealer, which has their own refinery up here, i would use it if i think i needed it , but to date all is good

·
Registered
394 Posts
And I fully understand the lack of apparent fuel system problems with untreated, unfiltered (or losely filtered) fuel. You mention engines like Perkins, farm machinery, etc.. Until the advent of the 20,000 to 30,000 psi fuel injector systems, run of the mill diesel did not create too much of a problem for low pressure diesel fuel systems. And if they did, injectors were $28 each exchange..
We have entered a new phase with electronic, high pressure injector systems such as on our Duramax and all current state of the art engines to inclulde CAT, Cummins, Detroit, and even VW TDI. 10 years ago fuel dilution and fuel system problems were very low on the alert level listings. Today, it is the #2 alert I deal with on a daily basis. I monitor the oil analysis results for hundreds of pieces of both on and off highway equipment and each day I have a minimum of 5 to 10 fuel dilution alerts due to injector and pump issues.
George Morrison

1 - 20 of 22 Posts