Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my mind made up to buy one of these trucks for a while now. Then they come out with the LLY so I decide to hold out for one of these. Sure theres all the talk about the Cummins being such a good motor, but to me the wrapper is so plain. An Ford well lets not go there. Seems the biggest problems are fuel related, an when they start it seems right after the warr. has run out. Kinda stiff for a 35K + truck. I know I would like one but I just have to figurre out is it worth it in the long run with these problems. Unless GM has remedied the problem with fuel filter an injectors in hte new LLY.. Read where the filter is a inch longer.Sure would help if i were to here of trucks with 100K plus miles on them. what do yalll think???

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
The internet gives you a magnified picture of vehicle defects. Few people post a new thread saying "Mine runs Fine!".

Ford has apparently resolved most all their issues with the 2004 motor. Dodge is going to release a "MoPowa!" version of the Cummins which will be an unknown quantity. GM has just went through the Duramax fixing issues.

No vehicle by any mfr is perfect. They are designed by and built by folk no different than you or me. Some speak a different language, but they all are human.

I waited over 6 months before ordering a new truck. I need a truck that will be mostly trouble free for 5-7 years ~100-150,000mi. Since the drivetrain is warrantied for 100k, I should be safe. I'm honest with myself about how I use a truck. I haul parts for work a few times a month, I tow a trailer several times a year, but mostly I drive city/hwy unladen miles. My current E-350 work van gets 15mpg hwy, and 7-8 mpg towing 6,000-8,000lb with it's 5.8L gas. After 125,000 trouble free miles, it's time for a new truck.

Here's why I ordered what I did:

Diesel - I want big power and good mileage. It's either a Big Block gas motor, or a TD. And a big block gas motor sucks fuel. I've never bought a diesel before, and working it out on paper, I'm really not going to save money with diesel. But I probably won't lose money either. I expect to "tweak" the power up some, and the diesel is more likely to handle big power than a gasser, and it won't take as big of a hit on the mileage once I do. If you want to add 100HP to a gas motor, it's no easy task while maintaining good "truckability".

Duramax - All three mfr's are making kick-ass turbo diesels, so anyone of the "new" ones is fine. The GM has the largest aftermarket, and the largest CID (less stress on motor) and have claimed to have fixed the lack of low end power.

Allison - A proven trans with an existing aftermarket. No manual for me. Boat ramps, sand, etc, are best handled with an Auto. I love manual transmissions (I drag race a 6-sp Corvette), but I like to relax when in traffic delivering parts. Dodge's lack of a 5-sp Auto is short-sighted. Diesels have a narrower powerband than gassers. If you want to have good power at all speeds when towing, you need more gears. The Ford Torqueshift is apparently an excellent trans as well.

GMC - This was a wash. I got a better deal from my GMC dealer, so GMC it is. The GMC/Chevy has the best ride quality, and since most of my miles I'll be using it like a car, a car-like ride is a plus.

3500 SRW - I expect to add a slide in camper, so I went with the heavier suspension. No dually for me. Too hard to park.

Crew Cab - Fit all the kids in it, even 5 years from now. Dodge has a smaller cab. I don't like kids kicking my seat. Also for hauling parts, it's nice to have a bench seat back there.

Longbed - Poor selection of slide in campers, clearance issues with a 5th wheel, and a smaller fuel tank all make the shortbed a less than useful choice for me.

Rear Seat DVD - We have this in our Olds. A great way to get the kids to sit still on long drives. Not offered in the Ford.

OnStar - Again, we have this in our Olds. Very handy to have a phone built into the vehicle. Extra safety should problems occur. Lock your keys in? Call OnStar and they will unlock it in 2 min. Wifey has used this a few times. Not offered in Dodge or Ford.

4x4 - Hmmm... This was an option I did not want. But it is the only way to get a 3500SRW. But I guess it would be handy every couple of years when I do something dumb. I've driven a lot of places with 2wd's that were "iffy". It's more how you drive than the number of drive wheels. I don't expect to need it much, but it w

·
Registered
32 Posts
McRat, Nice Post! Looks like You covered all the bases in Your shopping time. Once I get my house finished Wifey says I can shop for another truck(not that I am getting rid of this one!). Unless something really bad happens, I'll get another. The 3500SRW is what I'll get next.

Good Luck with Yours,

John

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
McRat

Well put. I have been a Dodge fan since 95 and have the 95 and 99 Dodge cummins both the 12 and 24 valve versions. Both excellent trucks however both are very noisey and rougher on the ride than the GM. I also have an Excursion with the 7.3 PSD which I find Excellent (after fuel modes and some suspension modes). I needed a new truck since one of our old trucks on the ranch was retired so I took some time to drive them all.

First was the Dodge...nice ride but a cheap looking interior to my eyes and no power (the good ole California emissions only standard output of 235 hp max) and the same old tranny I had in the 99 dodge which is not pleasant for towing. Now Dodge is releasing their mega power engine 50 state legal and the 48re tranny (a beefed up 47re 4 speed?) but the truck is still butt ugly. When you see one approaching you on the road, it kinda reminds me of shrek coming your way.

Then came the Ford. I specifically drove the 2wd and found it kinda squirrely on a nice smooth road like it was somewhat out of alignment. The 2nd Ford I drove was the same. The seats in the Ford are not comfortable as is the GM or even my 99 dodge. The truck I drove did not have much low end get up and go but when the rpms came up...wow it went! Great tranny too. We have a dealer in town (a good one...he likes power mods!!) and I was ready to buy one, but was turned off by seeing 7 out of the 13 trucks on the lot with bell engine oil housing leaks. That did it for me. There must be some truth to what you read on the other site.

I drove the dmax chev which had pretty good low end and great high end power but the ride was smooooth and quiet. Engine and ali tranny are a great combo and is very nice to tow with. The crew cab is very nice and more favorable to me than the smaller crew cab of Dodge. I have the short bed and the only draw back I have with that is the smaller fuel tank. Oh well, more pit stops then. I could always put in a 44 gallon tank but that is 700 bux and for another day...perhaps. Also I wanted 4X4 this time but the Ford and the Dodge sit too high for my liking. I ended up with the GMC since I find the chev rather ugly.

All in all the GMC had the most going for it for my taste. McRat put it right, "No vehicle by any mfr is perfect" so it is a matter of your taste and what you are looking for.

A local cattle hauler in my area with an '01 dmax/ali 2WD long bed single (100% trailering) has a little over 200,000 miles and still going strong.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Let's not forget about the creature comforts in the GMC that both dodge and ford don't have.

-Adjustable heated seats-ford has on or off-dodge has high and low

-Automatic climate control-neither ford or dodge has that

-Great stereo-dodge has infinity, which is ok-fords sucks!!

-Great looking dash-fords is ugly and BORING-dodge is just ugly, especially with the white face guages(no option for black ones!)

-Steering wheel controls-ford has none-dodge has a few behind the steering wheel

there is probably a few more , but these are extremely noticable. GM is doing a much better job in realizing some of us wnat a luxury truck. ford and dodge are way, way behind the game in that aspect.

·
Registered
365 Posts
McRat,

Interesting post and good reply. The GM/Duramax is a comfortable truck to ride around in with the Allison. Since you don't tow much the package may meet your expectations of longevity.

A note on how different we can be .... I REFUSED to buy a new GMC because of Onstar. Messed up checking out the truck and pressed the wrong button. Some guy started talking to me. I was shocked and asked him where he was? That goofy truck must have microphones in it to listen to everything you say.

It's not that I'm in my truck making illegal deals or involved in some kind of sexually deviant behavior. It IS the idea that someone can listen in on me if/when they want. To me that was horrific and I refused to buy the truck equipped with Onstar.

No other truck was available right then that was usable for me. I was not paying my hard-earned money for a 'service' that I would turn off. It ended up I replaced my GMC with a Dodge/Cummins. It could very well be that Onstar was the reason GM may have lost a customer for life.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
OnStar is an option. It comes standard with the high end decor groups, but you can option up from the mid-luxury group. I'm not sure if there is a delete code for the high end decor, but there might be. You can always push the OnStar button and ask them to disconnect you permanently.

Here's what goes on with it: It only "listens" to you when you call them. You can ask for directions (It knows your GPS location), for help, etc. I think you can even ask for movie show times. Think of it as a Cell Phone with a GPS in it, and you are calling for information. If OnStar bugs you, so should Cell Phones.

Here's the REAL big advantage - If you are in an accident, it will ask you if you are alright. If it gets no answer, it sends help immediately. Go off a mountain road, and it could save your life.

Yes, for many people it's a pointless luxury. But thinking it's a Big Brother device is not correct. It's a cell phone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts