Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to order a new truck in about 3 weeks. I am going to get a cummins 600 or a dmax lly. My question is why does chevy only have a 36,000 mile warrenty when dodge has 70,000. To me this means dodge has more faith in there tranny than chevy. Can you get an extended warrenty on the allison if so how much? Also if an allison goes out how much is it for a new one? Thanks

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I think it has everything to do with the market. Right now they are trying to sell there(Dodge) trucks. So if the top two(Ford and GM) trucks come with 3/36,000 then Dodge will 'one up them' by offering 7/70,000.

Now some food for thought...just like the airlines when one has a fair reduction nine times out of ten the other airlines will also. My point, it probably will not be long before Ford and/or GM starts offering this also.

IMHO

Edited by: NoWake200

·
Registered
994 Posts
Dodge also has 5yr/100K miles on engine. This is a Federal requirement, not something the manufacture has an option on. Dodge is to be commended on offering a 7yr/70k mile warranty at no cost. I had to spend additional dollars to obtain that on my DMAX. Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
OC_DMAX said:
Dodge also has 5yr/100K miles on engine. This is a Federal requirement, not something the manufacture has an option on. Dodge is to be commended on offering a 7yr/70k mile warranty at no cost. I had to spend additional dollars to obtain that on my DMAX.

Don't confuse Federal requirements for the operation of emission control devices with the parts and labor warranty of the manufacturer.

All manufacturers are required to warrant the operation of the emission controls of the vehicle, including such things as the CAT, but they don't include anything else.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't buy a Dodge regardless of what kind of warranty they offered me. Just don't like um.

·
Registered
509 Posts
You can get an extended warranty that covers it all to 100k. I don't recall the price but I remember, at the time, I didn't think it was too bad.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I've own or have owned 4 Chrysler products. That's the only way to customer's from stuffing those high wind noise, tinny sounding body, can't keep anything electronic from failing, vehicles out of their butts!

I do love my wife's Grand Cherokee. It's the best riding, best sounding, non-Chrysler Chrysler I've ever had.

My heart will always belong to GM though. My 2 favorites are my truck and my vette.

Kind of like a Trophy wife and a good wife, if you know what I mean...

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would worry much more about the Doge trans versus the Allison.

They have a reputation of twisting off the main input shaft under load. Seems they are just not up to the task of backing up what torque the Cummins motor's put out. The Allison is a PROVEN REAL TRUCK TRANS, not a beefed up car or light truck trans.

MOPAR = Mostly Old Parts And Rags

Put GMC on my Headstone!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree that you can't have too much warranty but you really need to read the fine print before you can detirmine just how good a warranty is. Before I bought my Chevy I went to the Dodge dealer to check out the Cummins rigs under the impression that I could save money by avoiding GM. I didn't like the short crew cab and I just couldn't get the salesman to come off the sticker price enough to justify the sacrifice.

Long story short, he thought he had talked me into the deal, so he moved on to trying to sell additional warranty coverage. He was pointing out weaknesses and exclusions in the factory 7/70 warranty that you could drive a truck through. He claimed that the only way to really feel good about the purchase was to aquire some extra coverage.

Now I understand that the guy was a slimeball car salesman that would take my every dime if I let him, but it got me to thinking about how much if any truth there was to his spiel. I would think that Chrysler would get pretty pissed off if they knew that a sales associate was telling outright lies about thier product in an attempt to sell something that would not feed thier coffers.

Another thing to consider is that if you want to add a power mod at some point GM is most likely the better way to go. Not only do you have a better tranny, but the word is that Chrysler is really cracking down on warranty claims. They have gotten wiser than GM and made it very difficult to decieve them. --SS

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Tha Allison Series transmission has been proven in the world of service vehicles .... In reality it's a medium to heavy duty transmission ...

The Dodge is the opposite .... The Cummins is a proven worker in Medium duty service vehicles ... Loaded behind that is a rubberband lightduty Car tranny ...

Would you by it with less then a warranty provided bt Chrysler ??

Mac

·
Registered
95 Posts
You are naive to think that a longer warranty indicates a manufacturer's confidence in its product. A longer warranty indicates that are trying to increase their sales even with the penalty of higher warranty costs. It is all dollars and cents, and a longer warranty costs dollars. A long warranty is something you gotta do, not something you want to do.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Allison makes the tranmission for the M-1 battle tank.Enough said

Tomslick24

·
Registered
692 Posts
I got a 5yr/75000 mile GM warranty for $795.00 from the dealer. I though that was cheap for a $40,0000 truck, so did my salesman.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Teck said:
I got a 5yr/75000 mile GM warranty for $795.00 from the dealer.
Wow! Did you shop around? If so, where? My local GMC dealer wanted something like $3500 w/ zero deductible for the maximum miles coverage. I don't remember the mileage covered, but I was surprised to hear there is no 100k mile option. I believe that number was for 75k miles. I inquired after I bought the vehicle. For $3500, I can replace the transmission myself.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Silveradogs said:
I would worry much more about the Doge trans versus the Allison.

They have a reputation of twisting off the main input shaft under load. Seems they are just not up to the task of backing up what torque the Cummins motor's put out. The Allison is a PROVEN REAL TRUCK TRANS, not a beefed up car or light truck trans.

MOPAR = Mostly Old Parts And Rags

Put GMC on my Headstone!

Here's another one for you!!!

MOPAR = Moments Of Power Are Rare

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wow! Did you shop around? If so, where? My local GMC dealer wanted something like $3500 w/ zero deductible for the maximum miles coverage. I don't remember the mileage covered, but I was surprised to hear there is no 100k mile option. I believe that number was for 75k miles. I inquired after I bought the vehicle. For $3500, I can replace the transmission myself.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Teck said:
I got a 5yr/75000 mile GM warranty for $795.00 from the dealer. I though that was cheap for a $40,0000 truck, so did my salesman.

You got to Be GMS. I think I paid $900 or the same warranty you got and I am GMS so I guess they got me or I remember wrong.

·
Registered
149 Posts
the Dodge warranty doesn't mean anything. My brother-in-law's warranty claims were mostly denied by Chrysler because he was pulling rv's with it- which is of course why he bought that POS in the first place. A warranty is only good if you can collect on it when you need it, no matter what it costs!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts