Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why (other than cost cutting) GM does not put Bilsteins on Duramax's? On all my past new K1500 Silverado's, they came standard with Bilsteins's.

Bronco,

Last month (1/23) you posted:

I will say it again. If it is to be proven that the stock shocks were made by Bilstein, we should boycott just on principle!

FYI: The stock shocks I just removed with 1K miles show them to be made by Tenneco Automotive.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Not wanting to piss anyone off, but Tenneco also makes Rancho shocks.

TC

·
Registered
47 Posts
SteveNorCal said:
Does anyone know why (other than cost cutting) GM does not put Bilsteins on Duramax's? On all my past new K1500 Silverado's, they came standard with Bilsteins's.

the 7-71 and zr2 (s-10) packages came with bilsteins, maybe you had a z-71?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kjo43,

Yes you are correct, my K1500 Silverado's did have the Z71 package.

There is no Z71 package on the Duramax, but they do offer a Z85 (HD Suspension Package) and the NZZ (Off-Road Skid Plate Package) which I have both of these. So you would think it would come with Bilsteins when you compare packages with the Silverado K1500.

·
Registered
410 Posts
are the bilsteins just as heavy duty as the originals ?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob,

NO, they are "MUCH BETTER" than the originals....by far!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Bob,

Dittos to Steve's comment!

The Bilsteins provide a big improvement in ride and handling when compared to the OEM shocks. I changed out my OEM shocks for Bilsteins at 5k miles because I had experienced a big improvement with them on my 98 K3500 (including towing). The main difference I notice with the Bilsteins is increased stability. If I hit a dip in the highway going 65-70 mph, the truck doesn't keep bouncing after the dip like it did with the OEM shocks. They provide better dampening without making the ride harsh and stiff. Handling is also better in turns and on uneven pavement. IMHO, the Bilsteins provide better overall control and stability than you get with OE shocks and they do it with out making the ride "hard".

Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jbplock,

I don't think anyone could have said that any better!!

(are you employed by Bilstein?) just kidding....

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
We should boycott Tenneco. That is alot of brand names and alot of parts.

It is a total disrespect to GM owners to have shocks that fail as soon as you drive off the lot!

Tenneco,

Thanks for nothing!

As TC put it " The only thing the stock shocks are good for is keeping the dirt off of the mounting brackets while you decide what to replace them with!"

·
Registered
514 Posts
My 99 Z71 had Tenneco POS shocks on it from the factory. If memory serves, they only made that mistake for 1 year, maybe 2 years, and then switched back to Bilstein on that package.

As TSCKEY said, Rancho is Tenneco.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW, those stockers I just took off (Tenneco's) sure were junk.

They had hardly any resistance to them.

Sure glad I've now got the Bilstein's!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts