Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of the Regulars on this site have gone to larger tiers?? Is there any particlar reason or just preference?? Thanks

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Mainly just for looks and better tires overall. The stock 245's just look way to small on the truck. Most have 285's some have 265's. THen you have the guys with the H2 rims and/or tires. Those require a little bit of work to fit if you keep the stock h2 tires.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The stock Fartstones were not to my liking, either from a performance or size perspective. Since I was upgrading anyway I decided to get the size tires GM should have put on in the first place.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
My stock Fstones were below the tread bar indicator at only 17K. I had to replace. My desicion to go with a tire that is only one size bigger was as follows.

1. Fits on stock width rim.

2. No suspension or fender mods. required.

3. Looks better.

4. To gain a little off road clearance.

The rear axel housing on my truck sits extremely close to the ground. Even on the most mild off road trails I felt like it was going to crash into a rock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Seeing as how the truck almost got stuck in a wet dirt parking lot with the stockers. The 285's look better and perform much better.

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
I did it for ground clearance and stability. 285s on 16x8s are incredibly stable, much more so than the previuos 265s on stock rims I had.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haul a 3700# loaded camper and the stock 245's with 80psi looked like they were going flat. I went to 265's rated at 3415# load each, which handle the camper much better. Sometimes even they look a little stressed. I would like to go with 305's with a load rating of 3525# each, but I don't want to cut up the fender wells.

As for the 265's they look much better than the 245's, but they still don't fill the fender wells. My speedometer seems to be right on with the 265's, according to the roadside radar trailers. I really did not notice a power loss with them. I get 16.5 Hwy and 11 hauling/towing. When the truck was new it got 17 Hwy with the 245's.

If I wasn't hauling and towing big loads at times, I would just go for 285's. They look the best with the truck leveled.Edited by: GMCsteve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts