Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I need some advice. This is the story, I recently had my Allison rebuilt with a suncoast stage IV with a velocity convertor. After i got it back the truck just didn't feel right, so i drove it for a few weeks because we do not have a tech 2 to reset the cells. Well i after about a month, the truck drove fine but it launched like crap. I started to get beat by many trucks in town and that was really pissing me off. So i asked the guy that built my transmission and he said that it shouldn't be the transmission, i told him to call suncoast and see what they thought about this problem. Well he did and suncoast told him that because the convertor has a lower stall than stock it will cause problems with the engine be more clear than with the stock trans. OK, so i trust suncoast and my tranny rebuilder so i start look at other parts of the truck, i decide to send my hot juice back to edge and get it updated. Well i sent it back last friday and i got it back two days ago and it seems to be better, i also ordered the KD pumps and the socal pickup and 5/8th's hose kit. I install that yesterday and take it for a test drive.

This is where the problem begins. when launching it comes out of the hole faster now, it locks in 2nd and 3rd with no trans slip, then the upshift to 4th it lays down hard, the motor will not build any rpms for a few seconds and then it well come back and pull hard. I am only showing about 24 lbs of boost on the attitude. then in 5th the truck will do the same thing it will lay down in the first part of the gear and then come back in harder after a few seconds. I then start thinking it is the convertor, I put the attitude in to read slippage. Well i see no slip in 2nd or 3rd but in 4th i see 20-60% slip in T/H in Lockup. In 5th is see the same 20-60% slippage. When the rebuild was complete, we decided not to use synthetic on the break in on the trans becuase suncoast did not reconmend using synthetic and the steel material off the kolene steels will make the trans fluid horrible. So my plan was to put synthetic in after a few thousand miles after the break in is done.

What is going on?? Why is the trans slipping in lock-up? Pleae help

Thanks,
Scott

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
What is the Tach doing at the time of the "lay down" ???

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothing, it is not accelerating. it almost feels like it is bogging dwn.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Did you install a fuel pressure guage? What does it do when the truck lays down?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eric,

I thought the same thing, if the converter was slipping than the rpm's would go way up right when it was slipping. But the edge is reading slippage and the truck is not responding.

the term "lay down" is a very technical term for nothing happening under acceleration. Follow me here, the pedel is on the floor, it shifts gears and you no longer are being pushed against the seat. Then you can feel the power come back and you get pushed back against the seat. repeat same feeling in 5th gear.

Why would the edge be telling me that the trans is slipping in lockup if it is not?

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
The Edge is not capable of telling you your trans is slipping. It does ok on converter slip. The TCM will tell you if you are actually slipping trans or converter and set a code. If you have not set any codes I doubt you are slipping. You may have chosen wrong converter number for your power level you have. You probably need a slightly higher stall that will allow engine to build rpm's quicker.
mike

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
we might be going threw your town in the next month if our sleds are fixed in time, keep you informed, i am running your same combo for a tranny with the westers tune and it pulls strong, we can do some trouble shooting, shoot me a pm

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
just a thought :rolleyes: , seems like possible over boost , if you have a code reader check to see if you are getting 234 or 238 , the Edge" is SUPPOSED to trick the sensor ", but your symptoms are a direct copy of what a over boost lay down feels like , its worth looking for them as they will not always throw a check engine light , they did not in mine it worth looking ,

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
good point, i also seam to remeber that the 0234 code gave defueling up at higher speed

just a thought :rolleyes: , seems like possible over boost , if you have a code reader check to see if you are getting 234 or 238 , the Edge" is SUPPOSED to trick the sensor ", but your symptoms are a direct copy of what a over boost lay down feels like , its worth looking for them as they will not always throw a check engine light , they did not in mine it worth looking ,

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
Let me rephrase more specifically. Where is the tach when it hangs or goes flat.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that overboost sounds like what is happening, it does seem to be defueling. i will grab a code reader tomorrow at work and see what if it is throwing a code. It does not happen in the lower gears, only when i am really getting on it 70 mph and above. Today the trans was not slipping when i was driving it hard. But it did feel like it was defueling. It only happens when i am at full throttle, when i ease into the throttle at higher speeds it does not do it.

If it is throwing a overboost code how do i get around it. should i use the PPE overboost code eliminator harness? I was planning on running the PPE hot +2 ET Eliminator stacked. Should i run this setup?

JK- I havent looked at the rpm's when this is happening but i will check it tomorrow on the way to work. Also what is the TCM tuning that you do that i see people running??

Thanks for the help guys i really appreshiate it.

Scott

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
dont know why ,it would be happening but check it out!! as for a stack with the hot+2 I dont know how the Hot would stack!! there was a fella here that stacked a tune that was a little hotter than the ET but not as hot as the +2 with a normal edge set on lvl 3 and netted 551hp , I am going to try and stack a Edge for kicks and see if there is any difference

·
Registered
464 Posts
Montana, I think I have/had a similar problem to yours, and still do on ocasion. I added a quad to the juice and that helps the shifts tremendously but even with the stack it will still lay down once in a while. At the track it will usually take 2 full runs to get it to shift and apply power properly after that no problems. With that said, does your truck lay down every time even after repeat runs?

My biggest problem with the juice alone is that it would hang in 3rd gear at ~3200 rpm for like 2 seconds before the shift. But like I said, the quad fixed that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I plan on adding either a PPE programmer or a Quadzilla to it in a few weeks. So that is next on the list.

I just checked the codes and there were no codes present in the system. I checked it with a superchip programmer and i nothing was there.

Would it still defuel without a code present??

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
If your RPM is in the red which I suspect then the RPM limiter is kicking in/fueling is shuitting off.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Could be an injector pump or regulator problem if the lay down happens as it shifts into fourth and the rpms are below 3000.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So i stacked a hypertech programmer on it today i set it on level 3 and i played around with the juice. I also programmed in 35" tires for the speedo. I am definatlley going to put the stock tire size back in because my truck hits the limiter at 94 mph. i used to be able to run 110 with it according to the juice. So i turned the juice up to 5 on the way home for work and it was incredible fast without the " lay down" problem i had before. My EGT's are running below 1500 degrees and i am seeing boost around 26 psi. The truck feels almost scary fast. It really moves now. I didn't think that the Hypertech prgrammer stack worked out that well. I am happy, i am sure the quad or PPE stack is better but i am very happy with the way everything is running. Is My current setup OK to run or am i going to have problems? is 5 on the juice OK to run without defuel and the hypertech on stage 3? I just am not used to this power and i am just nervous. i know i am am a wimp.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems. People run the TTS Extreme with drugs and don't have problems. The only thing I'd be scared of is icy roads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts