Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of discussion about chips, etc. but don't really understand what they do. Can anyone educate me or refer me to a site that can explain the advantages/disadvantages, etc of a chip.

Personally, my 04 LB7 seems to perform better than I would have thought and it is still stock. I have plenty of power even when loaded with my camper (3k lbs) and boat (another 3k lbs) - as evidenced a while back when I was slowed by a semi on a long steep uphill grade. The semi was passing another so I had to slow to 40mph. Once it cleared I was able to get back to 70 - 75 with hardly any effort on the uphill. I was impressed (this is my first diesel).

So with it performing like that I wonder why I would want a chip -- does it improve mileage, or is it for heavier loads than I pull, or is it just a show thing.

Thanks in advance for educating me.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
with a low budget chip that won't affect the tranny u get improved mileage, towing, and performance. Who doesn't like a little extra??

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
you can tune these trucks from mild to wild. it is all based on what you want to spend.

the problem is once you start with a small chip, you want a little bigger, then a little bigger, then pretty soon you are running at the allison's limits. then the allison finally goes bad, so they upgrade it to hold tons of power. then you start going to truck pulls, and then you are screwed. just like you were the first day you found this site. hhahaha really just have fun.

go get a superchip/hypertech/edge/anything, it won't be long.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Some guys like more power. If you are totaly happy with your truck enjoy it :)

Whan I had my LB7 did I need the extra power? Nope....I wanted it. I agree, these trucks have enough power to pull any weight that a 1 ton pick up has any buisness pulling. But mo power is better :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bogger stated that you can get a chip that won't hurt the tranny yet give improved mileage, towing and performance. That said it sounds like you can't lose.

Knowing nothing about these what chips would you recommend?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I ran my 03 stock for 20K miles before installing the Banks 6-gun/speedloader. I just removed it at 70K miles for a dealer inspection/balance rate test/etc (passed with flying colors BTW). I haven't put it back in yet but it's sorely missed.

My 2-lane passing capabilities went from "anytime anywhere" to "how long is this going to take". I'm basiccally back to WOT for getting on the highway, etc. Running the banks in 3 or 4, I rarely had to use more than 3/4 throttle for most passing/merging situations.

I can tell you this - once you get a tuner or chip there's no going back.....

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I wouldnt really bank on much better milage. JMO

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Just remember,once you put ANYMORE power to your truck,you will NEVER want to drive it stock again..

·
Registered
824 Posts
In the "old" days, we'd spend our hard-earned $ fixing up our rides to stand out and to be unique as a reflection of our personality. The $ we spent in our misguided youth on performance parts (headers, 4 barrel carbs-remember thoses?, etc) in most cases didn't equate to large HP gains with gas engines (unless you spend lots of $ building the engine). With a diesel, and only a few bucks to start, you can gain up to 100 HP quickly (and you don't even skin a knuckle). Once you've chipped, you won't go back to stock (unless you're going to the dealer).

Now if I can just find my dream "DZ '69 Camaro Z28" to relive the old days....:rant:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would recommend a inexpensive chip like the hypertech as a good beginners chip. It will cost around $300, keep an eye on the for sale board here as guys are always upgrading and you could probably score one for around $200. Mileage is a big factor for me at least and the chip will pay for itself if you drive enough miles. And like all the other guys said, once you turn it up you will never want to turn it back down. Have fun!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just remember,once you put ANYMORE power to your truck,you will NEVER want to drive it stock again..
:exactly:You can find very nice Used Programmers on the For Sale sec. of this site.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've seen the comment a couple of times now that elude to the fact that you remove the chip if you go to the dealer. Am I correct in assuming that the use of the chip will void the warranty?

Also, are the chips pretty much plug & play and very simple to install and remove?

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
In the "old" days, we'd spend our hard-earned $ fixing up our rides to stand out and to be unique as a reflection of our personality. The $ we spent in our misguided youth on performance parts (headers, 4 barrel carbs-remember thoses?, etc) in most cases didn't equate to large HP gains with gas engines (unless you spend lots of $ building the engine). With a diesel, and only a few bucks to start, you can gain up to 100 HP quickly (and you don't even skin a knuckle). Once you've chipped, you won't go back to stock (unless you're going to the dealer).

Now if I can just find my dream "DZ '69 Camaro Z28" to relive the old days....:rant:
I had a "DZ-302"4speed Z that I traded for a wife and kids.I love my family,but Censored I sure miss that damn car!:(

·
Registered
158 Posts
Riverdog what truck do you have? Sounds like you may be new to the Diesel seen. If you have a 06 LBZ Im pretty sure your only option is the Bullydog Power pup. I personaly run a SCT Custom burn in my 05 Ford, but if I was to go to a factory canned tuner Bullydog would be right up front in choices. We carry them all including Vanaaken. You may not seen a particular tuner on our website but we carry most of the main stream tuners out there even Banks. They are all good products some just fit other people better. One thing for sure, If your gonna add power and tow than nice trailer in your Avatar, Monitor your EGT's, Trans, and Boost. An aftermarket Airbox and Larger Diameter Exhaust should be done before you add power in my opinion. That will help keep your Exhaust Gas Temps down low. Feel free to call we love to BS, Larry can talk till your warranty runs out. lol Good luck in your decision, and remember there is no turning back once your on the Dark side :muahaha:

·
Registered
629 Posts
I wouldnt really bank on much better milage. JMO
Agreed.

Agreed.

Bogger stated that you can get a chip that won't hurt the tranny yet give improved mileage, towing and performance. That said it sounds like you can't lose.
You can "loose" by cooking your turbo and/or pistons with EGTs that get too high-- doing ANY kind of moderately heavy towing (with or WITHOUT a chip/programmer) by gunning it up a steep grade for an extended period of time (several minutes). That's why the first thing I did was put EGT/Boost guages in so I could monitor these factors, and also a 4" Exhaust to let it breath better (lowers EGTs). THEN.... I started shopping for other power improvements.

Knowing nothing about these what chips would you recommend?
Note: I also have an 04 LB7... There are different products for different needs/tastes. I was just looking for a little more (SAFE) towing power, and went with the Edge EZ, which would be considered a "mild tune". Level 1 = +30HP. Level 2 = + 50HP. Level 3 = +65HP. Bear in mind that some tuners can be set as high as + 200HP!!!

I tow in level 2... VERY noticable improvement-- doesn't downshift on hills/mountains any more. Smooth power delivery as well.

I drive solo in level 3. VERY noticeable improvement, especially when merging into traffic or wanting to pass. Once you have it you will be spoiled, trust us (all 10000 of us on this site who've had this experience).

I've seen the comment a couple of times now that elude to the fact that you remove the chip if you go to the dealer. Am I correct in assuming that the use of the chip will void the warranty? Also, are the chips pretty much plug & play and very simple to install and remove?
My Edge EZ installed without any tools-- plug it in under the hood, and that's it (5minutes). It takes longer to run the wire thru the firewall to install the 3-way switch, but I always keep mine on the same solo/towing levels, so my switch is still under the hood.

Some dealers are very tolerable with chips/programmers, and even sell/install them (certain ones). Other dealers are just the opposite. I believe that if a programmer causes a problem, then the owner should pay the expense. On the other hand, if a chip does NOT cause a problem, a dealer can use that as an excuse to deny a warranty claim-- even if the chip may have nothing to do with the issue. The best thing to do is simply remove the tune when going in to see the dealer, and then it's not an issue. "Out of site, out of mind." With my Edge EZ, this is a 5 minute ordeal. :) --Paul.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I agree - why get a chip ......now that we have EFI Live?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I agree - why get a chip ......now that we have EFI Live?
This is true, but by the looks of his truck, ( with the slide in ) An edge/ attitude or the EZ would be just perfect for his needs. My 2 cent's!!Plus he can find a great deal on one in the For-Sale sec.

·
Registered
795 Posts
:Nothing_f

However, I did purchase a Dusk Blue 1969 SS396/375 hp Camaro new in Dec. of 1968. Fairly rare options besides the engine were the chambered exhaust (no mufflers) and 8 track tape deck mounted on the console.
Added a set of MT Super Scavengers and with a little tuning, The car would run 113 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Sorry for the off topic post.....

Oh yea, Just ride in a Truck with a chip. Your next move will be ordering a chip. Most can be installed quicker than it takes to read the instructions.
Go mild on a stock tranny though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts