Diesel Place banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
These guys also have a 6L80/90 improvement program. Sounds like they have/use similar hardware...

I called them and they thought that a 6L90 would be able to live behind LML power (350HP/750ft-lbf) with just their 4 disc torque converter and software to optimize shift timing/pressures. Don't go attaching a 15k trailer and expect it to live (per their recommendation), but should move the van around just fine...
Even a 2014 3500 SRW has a maximum conventional trailering capacity of 13,000 lbs. (compared to 23K for 5th wheel), so to a certain extent weights like these are up against the limit of what's reasonable to tow with a ball hitch.

FWIW, 2010-2014 3500 vans are rated to tow up to 10k lbs., and long wheelbase DMax vans are rated at 18,500 lb. GCWR. (std. wheelbase only 17,000 lbs. for some odd reason, but it may have something to do with the longer wheelbase providing significantly more leverage against the trailer hitch. Or maybe GM just pulled the numbers out of the air?)

In comparison, 2014 6.0 gas/6L90 3500 pickups are rated at 10,700 lbs. (conventional) and over 14k lbs. 5th wheel, so that should give some idea of what GM thinks a stock 6L90 will handle:

Notice that in the chart above, the GCWR numbers are omitted, but the tow ratings alone indicate that the Allison specs from GM powertrain aren't correct.

Given the tow ratings for new 1/2-ton pickups, maybe the reality is that there's a lot of monkey business being played with tow ratings to meet marketing demand for bragging rights. Automakers probably don't feel a need to exaggerate van tow ratings to the same extent as pickup tow ratings.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
The BS tow ratings will stop at some point. There is a SAE testing that manufacturers will need to follow in order to prove tow ratings, acceleration when loaded, stopping power, passing power and what ever else was on there I can't remember. Not sure when they have to comply though

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The BS tow ratings will stop at some point. There is a SAE testing that manufacturers will need to follow in order to prove tow ratings, acceleration when loaded, stopping power, passing power and what ever else was on there I can't remember. Not sure when they have to comply though
Several years ago they agreed on the criteria used for the standard, but compliance is entirely voluntary.
I hate to say it, but maybe the FTC will have to get involved like they did a long time ago with stereo amp power ratings?

It would be nice if there was some rough consistency in the tow ratings between one manufacturer/vehicle or another. That was the intent behind SAE J2807.

But I wouldn't hold my breath:
New SAE Trailering Standards Explained

Standardized Tow Ratings: Why Automakers Aren't Using Them: ("Although the automakers' engineers toiled for years to create tow-rating commonality, the gang in marketing had a much harder time discerning the benefit. If everybody had to test to the same standards, tow-rating superiority would become much tougher to claim. And perhaps equally alarming, it became apparent the new towing tests were going to lead to a significant tow-rating reduction for many models... ")

Rivalry, distrust delay adoption of SAE ratings: ("Chrysler Group, General Motors, and segment leader Ford Motor Co. have backed away from their commitments to test their pickups in compliance with the standard. Like Cold War superpowers, they cite a distrust that their competitors will reciprocate among the reasons to delay their agreement from four years ago.")

Stalemate: J2807 Truck Towing Standard

The newest of these articles is May 2013. Maybe something has changed since then, but I didn't see any newer article announcing a breakthrough.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Reminds me of the Superbike wars, every year, each maker claimed they had the most power and top speed, the Feds stepped and said, stop it or we will, so now, they don't boast anymore, :( lol.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
After I got around to actually reading the first article, I noticed this:

...so even if all the manufacturers agree to abide by the standard they themselves set up, it still won't be consistent because (oddly enough) DRWs have to meet a less stringent standard, which would inflate their tow rating. For instance, only having to maintain 35mph instead of 40mph is an artificial advantage of more than 12%!

I didn't see a mention of temperature in those criteria, but high-temp operation is one area where an HD pickup might have an advantage over a van with comparable GVWR/GCWR.
The radiator, etc. on a 3500 van is capable of dissipating less heat than a 3500 pickup. IIRC the difference is fairly small though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
this is old, van engine to allison i did this in 2008, van ecm to lbz tune did that also in 2008. the ecm is the same just different operating system, swapped the 4l85e tranny to allison and did some network changes then added the harness for the allsion and guess what ---- full blown conversion from van to lbz ally combo!! if you really want to see some work i designed an adapter to install the np205 case to the allison, now thats good stuff. i documented everything and put it onto pdf file for all these conversions. what i do want is a great dsp5 tune, pm and maybe we can work something out.

Reactions: DarkSideofWill

·
Registered
960 Posts
this is old, van engine to allison i did this in 2008, van ecm to lbz tune did that also in 2008. the ecm is the same just different operating system, swapped the 4l85e tranny to allison and did some network changes then added the harness for the allsion and guess what ---- full blown conversion from van to lbz ally combo!! if you really want to see some work i designed an adapter to install the np205 case to the allison, now thats good stuff. i documented everything and put it onto pdf file for all these conversions. what i do want is a great dsp5 tune, pm and maybe we can work something out.
pics? or it didn't happen...:D

why did you use a np205, and not a truck transfercase like the np261 which would bolt right up to the allison?
did you make a 4x4 allison van? :eek:

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
If you check out his sig he has a 91 crew cab. IIRC he got a motor/trans from a wrecked van and installed it in the truck.

·
Registered
416 Posts
pics? or it didn't happen...:D

why did you use a np205, and not a truck transfercase like the np261 which would bolt right up to the allison?
did you make a 4x4 allison van? :eek:
took a van engine and tranny combo and converted to the lbz and ally. np205 is the strongest tcase used in domestic trucks, no chain or holes wearing in the housing, all cut gears.

·
Registered
364 Posts
4/25/2017 UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Paul @ Duramaxtuner. Had questions about this Allison swap they did in their 2007 LMM van.

As it turns out, they never got the electronics working correctly.

If they used the pickup truck OS in the ECM, the DSP5 worked, but they lost other functionality (like cruse control and a couple other things). They wound up running the van OS in the ECM but still had some other problems.

They wound up putting the 4-speed auto back in it.

All things considered, looks like a 6L90 build-up (with a large additional trans. cooler, a new torque converter, among other things) is the way to go for any 2010+ van.
The 6L90 has a wider overall gear range than the Allsion anyway, and in particular, a lower first gear ratio, which is helpful.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was going to do the allison swap a few yrs ago and abandoned it after figuring out the electronics wouldn't ever sink up correctly and the price for it was not justifiable for me... I'm happy with my built 4l80e it has Billet parts etc 1000+ hp rated and 1200ftlb of tq ... I'm running a 200 hp tune from ridge runner and the trans shifts beautiful.... I haven't drove one with the 6l90 o have heard mixed reviews on those

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I was going to do the allison swap a few yrs ago and abandoned it after figuring out the electronics wouldn't ever sink up correctly and the price for it was not justifiable for me... I'm happy with my built 4l80e it has Billet parts etc 1000+ hp rated and 1200ftlb of tq ... I'm running a 200 hp tune from ridge runner and the trans shifts beautiful.... I haven't drove one with the 6l90 o have heard mixed reviews on those
When my built trans was working it was nice, better OD is all it's missing. The 6l90 should help that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What year is your van joey? What happend to your built trans it give up? I thought about do a swap to the 6l90 also but looks to be to much work for me and still not worth it lol .... I probably also wouldn't get a newer van than the 06 I love the lbz motor. Only one I would possibly switch to would be a tuned deleted 15 with a lml in it

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
What year is your van joey? What happend to your built trans it give up? I thought about do a swap to the 6l90 also but looks to be to much work for me and still not worth it lol .... I probably also wouldn't get a newer van than the 06 I love the lbz motor. Only one I would possibly switch to would be a tuned deleted 15 with a lml in it
Mines an 06. Trans is a long story but it stemmed from the converters used, kept burning them up. I think my van is just to heavy for the tune I have, combined with my driving style.
I am looking for a newer 14-16 van that I will delete.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How big of a tune and how heavy? .... Give level 10 a call or there's a place out of fl that seems to be building real good 4l80 called Animal Performance before u switch.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
How big of a tune and how heavy? .... Give level 10 a call or there's a place out of fl that seems to be building real good 4l80 called Animal Performance before u switch.
My tune put 120 or so more to the wheels and weights just over the 8600lbs. I'm not going to do anything else to my 06 as rust is starting to take hold from the millions of tons of salt they use on the roads.
I'm looking for a 2500-3500 reg wheelbase van, I'm not in a hurry so I'll find one in the next few months. If I don't then I'm buying a new something else

·
Registered
960 Posts
i have a tune also. i avoid full throttle when in 4th, especially when the torque convertor is trying to lock up. it will slip if pushed.

·
Registered
364 Posts
...I thought about do a swap to the 6l90 also but looks to be to much work for me and still not worth it....
It most likely would not be worth it on an '07 or older because the 6L90 controller uses the newer GM LAN that was on the '07.5 GMT900 trucks and '08+ vans. The BCM is involved too. And since this is such a rare combination, you'd be one of (if not the first) pioneers at trying to make it work, which is another hurdle.

Duramaxtuner ran into some of those partly because their project van was an '07 LMM, which still had the pre-GMT900 LAN, whereas the pickup truck version of the LMM was only available with the GMT900 LAN protocol.

Duraburb figured out how to integrate GMT900 Allisons into GMT900 SUVs that came with 6L90 transmissions, but Eric told me there was no way to know if that solution would work on vans.

There may be aftermarket solutions for 6L90 qnd/or Allison in vehicles that didn't come with them, but it seems likely there could be more a lot of unexpected complications than staying with something closer to a OEM setup.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds like an '06 Allison TCM would integrate into my 2006 DMax van, though ;)

Would the GMT800 Allison and controls still work in the '07 LMM van, since the van is still using the older CANBus protocol?

61 - 80 of 97 Posts