Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So why doesn't the vans with the Duramax come with the Allison trans?
Is it because its more expensive than the one that come with it?
Is it because its to big to fit in the van?

Also, what other vehicles have the same tranny that we have in the vans? Is it a good tranny, can it hold added power?

·
LLY Guy
11,951 Posts
Because of lack of space I believe

·
Registered
960 Posts
i'm going to guess cost.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
The work to make it fit, etc would not be justifiable for GM since they sell so few Duramax vans compared to trucks.

The 4L85E is a great transmission which is a upgraded 4L80E that has been around for 20+ years.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
a) van never designed to fit a transmission as large as the Allison

b) it's not needed, even a 3500 van doesn't come close to the GVW and towing capacity of a truck

c) the 6L90 6 speed currently available can handle the job very well

I like the Allison, own one, but it isn't the end all be all of transmissions. You can put a lot of power through a good built 4L85E or 6L90E. I prefer the way the 4L85 shifts over my Allison any day.

The 6L90E is in a lot of current GM product...as was the 4L85E before the 6 came along. Lots of aftermarket upgrades available....if you need them.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
VANs rule.

·
Registered
413 Posts
A properly built 4L85E will handle a lot of HP and quite a bit of Torque. My race truck is around 1000hp/tq and my 4L80E has lived behind that for 4+ years. Only time I had to pull the tranny out was when I blew out reverse...while on the fwy!! :/

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
So why doesn't the vans with the Duramax come with the Allison trans?
Is it because its more expensive than the one that come with it?
Is it because its to big to fit in the van?

Also, what other vehicles have the same tranny that we have in the vans? Is it a good tranny, can it hold added power?
1- Cost
2- Cost
3- Cost
4- Look at the 1st three.

Basicly GM designed the D Max van without changing much. They sell millions of vans I bet over the years and the more simplified the assembly is the better. The alli would require different driveshaft, yokes, TCM, and wiring the other vans dont have.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Do it!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm interested!):h

·
Registered
960 Posts
why are you keeping us in suspense??!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
turboawd why are you keeping us in suspense??!
Yeah, why?!:secret:???

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'll start you off by saying that if you're going to do this, a 2007 LMM Van is probably the worst one you can pick. It is the stepchild of the stepchildren with regard to control modules. It does not have the same BCM and HVAC module that the LMM trucks do, which makes switching it to a truck operating system a lot more work than an '06 or '08. Figures. More on that later.

Mechanically, it's not a difficult job. We have a bunch of pictures and video that we're organizing now. We'll share it middle of next week. So try to keep your tongues in your mouth until then :). I will say that cruising at 80MPH is much nicer now!

Nick

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'll start you off by saying that if you're going to do this, a 2007 LMM Van is probably the worst one you can pick. It is the stepchild of the stepchildren with regard to control modules. It does not have the same BCM and HVAC module that the LMM trucks do, which makes switching it to a truck operating system a lot more work than an '06 or '08. Figures. More on that later.

Mechanically, it's not a difficult job. We have a bunch of pictures and video that we're organizing now. We'll share it middle of next week. So try to keep your tongues in your mouth until then :). I will say that cruising at 80MPH is much nicer now!

Nick
why is that? lower rpms at that speed? notice any mpg difference? need more info!! :D

·
Registered
677 Posts
1- Cost
2- Cost
3- Cost
4- Look at the 1st three.

Basicly GM designed the D Max van without changing much. They sell millions of vans I bet over the years and the more simplified the assembly is the better. The alli would require different driveshaft, yokes, TCM, and wiring the other vans dont have.
I worked at the Wentzville van plant. I guess you could say cost, as it would have required a major change in the floor plan.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts

Nick
Your holding out on us now:D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't think it happened. If it did I think we would have seen some evidence by now. Maybe he was in the process and found out it's not as easy as he thought.

Your holding out on us now:D

1 - 20 of 97 Posts