Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why doesn't anyone just take their supplies ( oil filter, amsoil, diff fluids etc) to the dealer and have them instll your good stuff.

stick with me here. I have done that with both of my last vehicles because I wanted better fluids etc, so I just brought them to the dealer and had them installes along with the typical oil change. At the Ford dealer I brought in oil filters etcv and was only charged $15.00 for the service. I think the service was like $39.00, so they deducted their price on supplies and charged their typical "labor" for the oil change and we were both happy.

Now what this also does for me is a dealer approved date, time, milage proof, that NO ONE can dispute if there is a problem. Also for that cheap $15.00 fee I get face time with my service writer who is more apt to help me out since I am considered a "good" customer not a one night stand, not to mention I don't have to clean up or dispose of all that used oil, heck they have even taken oil samples for me.

And most of all there is no question if a particular fluid was or was not good for the vehicle because after all THEY put it in the vehicle, and if later they try to say it was because I used so and so oil, I siply say if there was a problem why didn't you tell me when you placed it in my vehicle.

Anyway my .02 cents it has worked for me and it's cheap insurance.

Now before I get flamed I have done this with a diesel excusion, a hummer H1, Hummer H2, and a VW diesel at four different dealers and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I do the same for my oil changes. Bring in Delvac 1300 and an ACfilter. The dealer charges me $15. There is no way I'd lay out in the cold garage changing oil for $15. To me, its money well spent.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Because I have a hoist and I like doing things myself to ensure they are done right. I know I will never have a problem with my dealer as far as warranty.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Makes great sense unless like myself I am a heavy truck mechanic by trade.I enjoy doing that kind of work and by doing it myself I know its done right.....The first time...No one will ever do a job with more personal care and pride then you yourself...

Tomslick24

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is no way I'd lay out in the cold garage changing oil for $15.

You need heat in your garage

I could finish the work in the time it takes me to drive to the dealer. Also the local guys are so stupid it pisses me off. Strangely, I actually enjoy doing this stuff

·
Registered
430 Posts
Before I take too much ribbing about letting the dealer change my oil, let me explain that the local Chev dealer has a lube tech that is a perfectionist. People come from miles around to have him lube their vehicles. Why? Because he takes pride in his work. He is the one tech at the dealer paid only by the hour. Its really kind of fun to watch him...he checks the whole truck front to rear, greases all the zerks, sprays white lithium on door hinges, emergency cable rub points, checks all 4 air pressures, and puts in exactly how much oil my truck takes. Then he cleans the truck (wash), and I get it back cleaner than I gave it to him. I hope he never leaves....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The basic answer is that the markup or profit on the parts and fluids make up a substantial part of the shop's bottom line.

Most dealers don't like doing it but will for a good customer, or if you have a Service Manager who understands. But most don't like it and will find some way to not do it, i.e. delays or high fees or whatever. I used to have both my vehicles done at the dealer for the record keeping factor, maintaining a good relationship with the shop, AND they put in the stuff I wanted even if they didn't stock it with a discount.

Of course, every vehicle I bought for 33 years came from there and now that they are no longer in business, I've found there is not much of that kind of consideration in the new shops I'm dealing with....

If I could get the deal you've got, I'd go for it. I'm coming up on the first break in oil change, so I'm going to ask questions about how much and if they tell me what I think they will based on past experience, I'll be back to doing my own and keeping records.Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
93 Posts
If I could find that kind of rare service I would probably do it to.Nice to hear some dealers still care.

Tomslick24

·
Registered
197 Posts
For one, I originally called the dealer to inquire about the price of a diesel change. After about 5 minutes on hold, the guy said that it was something like $50 because the fitler was so expensive. The bottom line was it didn't sound like they had changed the oil on too many diesels. Besides, I get personal satisfaction from keeping up my own vehicle. I've heard horror stories about dealers not putting in the correct amount of oil. If you have a good dealer and want to do that, good. For me, I prefer and enjoy doing it myself.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
I don't understand. I made a suggestion regarding posting reputable dealers names and referrals a while back and got no reponse whatsoever. I read many posts that praise one dealer and damn others, but unless you read and catagorize every thread it's impossible to keep track of them all.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
A dealer is a lot like a doctor. When you find the right one you stick with it until one of you no longer need each other. For me when I was younger I did the work i could because I simply didn't have the funds to pay someone. Then when life 'got better' I began to have people do it for me. Now that I'm in the truck I've always wanted it's time to give her the attention that only I care enough to do.

·
Registered
93 Posts
DITTO VICTORY RED

TOMSLICK24

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I went into the dealer (local guy, not the one I bought from 725 miles away) and asked about an issue I was having with my truck, I could swear the look on this guys face said...

SO, GM MAKES A DIESEL NOW, HUH?????

I could tell right away, it'll be a cold day in hell.....

Besides, there is that "pride" thing and that "like to do it myself" thing too.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I currently do this, bring parts & supplies to dealer and if I need other work done they sometimes do the change for nothing. I have a good dealer so far.

JP

·
Registered
130 Posts
BERK said:
I don't understand. I made a suggestion regarding posting reputable dealers names and referrals a while back and got no reponse whatsoever. I read many posts that praise one dealer and damn others, but unless you read and catagorize every thread it's impossible to keep track of them all.

This sounds like it should be it's own topic under it's own category. We should break it down by State. That way we go to the find a dealer category, Pull up the post called Texas and look for our dealer. We should probably rank them too. Could we use a pole to do that? Why don't you setup something under forum suggestions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts