Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive daily about 100 miles (mostly highway). I do not regularly tow anything, just to and from work. The occassional towing is light 3-4K max! I read this forum and see all the things you guys are doing to your trucks, Juice, larger exhaust, pyro boxes, secondary fuel and oil filter systems etc...

My question is, since I do not intend to do anything other than drive to and from work and occassionally tow light loads, do I need to do all of these things to my vehicle?

I need to get at least 250,000 miles out of this vehicle, I religiously adhere to the recommended maintenance intervals for all things listed in the owners manual and only buy fuel from high volume dealers. The only possible change in my vehicle use would be if the wife makes me buy a 5th wheel, but this would only be towed 3-4 weekends per year (less than 200 miles each trip) and an annual trip out west (3000 miles ish).

·
Registered
341 Posts
One thing that almost everyone agrees on is adding additional fuel filtration (even with using good diesel fuel). The Dmax's stock fuel filtering is very lacking.

As to the other stuff - mostly it's for grins & giggles. But I like grins & giggles.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'll second what Conradv wrote. Of all the things you mentioned in your list of add-on items, the only one that you will need to help you in getting to your goal of 250K miles is a supplemental fuel filter. So if you plan on spending additional dollars on the truck, that would be your number one item to buy.

I tow a trailer that weighs up to 8k. My truck is stock and it tows just fine. Would it tow better with a Juice box, probably. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rookiew/Dmax, For the most part no you do not need to add juice, pyro, propane, or a larger exhaust etc. Some of those items are just for performance and some for reading exhaust temps, boost and so on. As it was explaind to me in regards to the extra fuel and oil filters (Correct me if I'm wrong) was because some of the people had issues with the factory filters not being up to par. I personally am not adding extra fillters because I haven't had the same issues some other members have had. If and when I have them then I would consider it but, until then I'm not going to loose any sleep. I would say it is up to you if you want to add them or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts