Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When I first bought my 05 LLY/Allison, the truck would puff a little black smoke when you would stomp on it when it was completely stock. I then added a PPE Hot programmer at around 5k miles and it started smoking a lot. And by a lot, I mean I could punch it and make people slow down or pull over until the road cleared up.

I now have 13k on the truck and it hardly smokes at all. I have to pre-boost and hit it wide open to see even a hint of black smoke.

Any idea what’s going on?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Tranny not putting enough load on the engine cause it is slipping to much.

Or have you closed off your EGR?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just changed the fuel filter. I thought this was it also.

It could be that the tranny is slippin - it doesn't feel like it's totally roasted, but it does feel soft. I just reset the tranny so we'll see if that helps some.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same symptoms. Mine used to smoke a lot even with the EGR blocked. This was with the Edge installed 3/3. Now it hardly smokes at all with the Edge no matter what low boost setting I use. I've even recently had the Edge replaced for other reasons but still not a lot of smoke. My Predator will still puff a lot of smoke though on the 65hp setting (Edge on 0). Truck has about 15K miles and 3K on new fuel filter.

I've never limped the tranny but I don't know that means it's never slipped. How do you reset the tranny anyway?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yep Mine hardly smokes anymore, even with the edge on 5x5. But i dont mind the no smoke. Would the computer be able to sense the overfueling and try to compensate? I dont realy see how.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s not that I mind it not smoking. I just wasn’t sure if something was blocked or jacked up. One thing I was wondering about is the CAT? Any chance this is clogged up or something?

Busta – My PPE programmer has a tranny reset option. It causes the transmission to re-learn its shift patterns.

I only drove about 3 miles after I reset the transmission, but I could already tell it was shifting firmer.

We’ll see.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It’s not that I mind it not smoking. I just wasn’t sure if something was blocked or jacked up. One thing I was wondering about is the CAT? Any chance this is clogged up or something?

Busta – My PPE programmer has a tranny reset option. It causes the transmission to re-learn its shift patterns.

I only drove about 3 miles after I reset the transmission, but I could already tell it was shifting firmer.

We’ll see.
Thanks for the info. I don't mind it not smoking either, it just seemed odd that it used to leave clouds and now it hardly puffs. I don't think it's a clogged kitty though since I don't have one at all. ;)

·
Registered
817 Posts
ULSD...ultra low sulfur diesel. It's at a station near you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ULSD...ultra low sulfur diesel. It's at a station near you.
You may be on to something there. Now that I think about it, mine hasn't smoked much since all of the hurricanes and the price of diesel sky-rocketing! I've definitely heard of the sulfur shortage too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts