Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a stupid question, but what is the big advantage to replacing factory shocks with Bilstiens? I don't do much off roading. How will they affect the ride and handling if my truck? Would it be worth it for me to get them, or just stick with what I've got for now?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's definitely worth it to replace them. You'll get rid of much of the wheel hop and the wallowing that the truck does with the OEM shocks. That and they seem to last forever as the '96 Z71 that we traded had over 120K on the stock Bilsteins and they still worked pretty much like they did when new.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Where's the best place to purchase Bilstiens? I've seen a couple of posts where people purchase all 4 for $200 delivered. The best I've seen them for, just doing a quick search on the Internet, is $65 each.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The big advantage is getting rid of the POS factory shocks. You will be AMAZED at the difference on a rough piece of highway. The truck will not porpoise anymore.

I took my OEM shocks off after only 7.5k and one of the rears was already completely shot! My truck never goes off road so it can't be from rough treatment.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FirstDiesel,

It looks like we have the same model truck...What shocks did you use? The ones I found that look like the correct ones are:

Front - BE5-6081-H0

Rear - BE-6501-H1

Does this look right?
And where did you get 'em?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
267 Posts
Do a search here on Bilsteins, there's a new thread every few days...
(I thought, but I was wrong - see below, one of your part numbers has a number transposed - never mind me).

You can get them from Kennedy ($260/4 including shipping), or Pickuptruck.com for $60/pc + shipping; they HAD a sale a week ago, and that's how people got them for $200 delivered. You snooze you lose... (I bought mine 3 weeks b4 the sale
).

Edited by: Joe E

·
Registered
540 Posts
Fireman said:
FirstDiesel,

It looks like we have the same model truck...What shocks did you use? The ones I found that look like the correct ones are:

Front - BE5-6081-H0

Rear - BE-6501-H1

Does this look right?
And where did you get 'em?

Yup those are right

I got mine from Off Road Warehouse.

Cost me 60 a piece at the time and shipped for 8 bucks.

Big advantage is they had them in stock!!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Last weekend Pickuptruck.com had a sale for a few days...that was were you read $200. I think the sale is over, that was the reason of all these Bilstein posts. We were all out this weekend installing them...Lucky for me it was 65F in St.Louis today.

I only had 400miles on mine but after reading all the posts about stock shocks and the ride it made me want to get new ones...I guess ignorance bliss...and alittle knowledge is VERY dangerous.

If anyone is looking for a set of factory shocks go to EBay
and look under 04 GMC 2500HD 4X4.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NoWake200,

Do you notice any difference in the ride and handling with the Bilstiens?

Kevin

·
Registered
540 Posts
Fireman

I think if you read the posts about Bilsteins you will see that there is no one that has said they can't feel the difference.

I thought the difference on rough roads was huge and I only had 7.5k on my stock shocks.

The wife thought I was nuts for spending the money on a "new truck's shocks" and she's a real car person. Then she rode in the truck with the Bilsteins and agreed the stock shocks are cr-p.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I have a set of Bilstiens in my future...Near future at that.

Thanks guys for all the replies.

My only problem with this forum is its costing me a fortune! lol

Kevin

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Fireman, I did notice a big improvment to the ride. It does not seem to bounce around as much and nicer handling in the turns. Edited by: NoWake200

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had mine on for two days, handling feels more solid. Still feel the bumps, but much less tooth-rattling. Had about 25K on the OEM shocks, the front DS had no expansion after being compressed, and the rest felt like they were full of sand when compressed. Now if I can find the time to get to the dealer to have the steering rattle fixed (after 3 failed "lube jobs"), I'll be driving a "new" truck.

·
Registered
403 Posts
They're great when the truck is empty, but even better when you're towing.

They are well worth the money IMHO.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I ordered 'em from Kennedy this afternoon!
I'm really looking forward to installing them!

Does anyone have any tips to make the job go smooth (I've never changed shocks before)?

Kevin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kevin,

I asked the same question last week, got lots of good advice. Here is the thread:

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2141&PN=1

I don't have any air tools(yet), used a 21mm socket and wrench. I noticed that the upper bolts(15mm) on the fronts were significantly rusted, so I squirted some WD40 on them the night before to help loosen them up. Did not need to remove the wheels, just turn them full lock to the opposite direction. I used zip ties to hold the front bilsteins compressed while installing, then cut them off after they were in place. I was suprised how smoothly it went, with no help other than what I learned here.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally got the time to install the Bilsteins today. In fact I just finished.
I was a little concerned that I might not like the ride with the new shocks. Well I haven't even driven the truck yet, and I know I'm going to be pleased. Both rear, and the left front oem shocks were blown!
18K miles and 3 bad shocks...Man, oh man!

I'm taking the family out tonight and can't wait to test it out!

Thank you very much to every one here for the suggestions and help you've given!

Kevin

·
Registered
909 Posts
Congrats, I predict an awesome drive in your future!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Now your only going to question yourself as to why it took so long to do this.........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts