Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would a bigger wastegate do for me on performance. I've been seeing a lot of people with big head wastegates from banks and wonder what they actually do for your truck. Thanks for any info...

Oh and how hard are they to install....thanks again

Mark

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
pretty hard to get to one screw on the back and under the wastgate. they say about 15 h.p. but that is not much.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Basically gives you adjustment over how much boost you allow the engine to see before the waste gate starts to bleed off boost pressure. I installed mine during a dyno day in order to get a scientific back to back comparison and it was a pain, on a CA truck with EGR. I picked up gobs of torque with the additional boost but not much additional peak HP. Tells me something else is holding the truck back in the peak HP area. I have heard of some people accomplishing something similar by splicing an adjustable valve into the waste gate hose and bleeding off some of the signal to the stock waste gate actuator in order to allow more boost. I'll let them talk about their results as I haven't actually done it that way.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Theoretically when exh. back pressure gets high enough it can blow open the wastegate by overcoming the spring in the dashpot of the wastegate thereby opening the wastegate before the boost pressure get's high enough to open it. I say therotically because I have not observed it myself. My wastegate (stock) is adjusted by a "calibrated leak" that TST supplies with their power max to about 32 psi max. It does not appear to be being blown open by exh. pressure prior to that point. I guess you could watch it while on a Dyno or install a micro switch monitoring position or even put a camcorder under the hood. From my observations it's not a problem up to 32 psi boost and that's all I want.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm....i'm kinda split on if this would be a worthwhile add-on...thanks guys for the info I'm gonna roll my sleeves up and do some more searchin'.

Thanks again,

mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
IIRC someone used a valve from a fish tank aerator to gate down the boost to the wastegate.

John

·
Registered
180 Posts
Many years ago, when playing with Turbo LeBarons, we used a thing called "dial a boost". Turs out, it was almost IDENTICAL to the regulator on the beer tap coolers at a restaurant. (like the fish tank pieces mentioned above...

I too am wondering what minor 'tweaks' can be done without ordering $400-$1000 modifications. Subtle things, that aren't obvious.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
a64pilot said:
My wastegate (stock) is adjusted by a "calibrated leak" that TST supplies with their power max to about 32 psi max. It does not appear to be being blown open by exh. pressure prior to that point. I guess you could watch it while on a Dyno or install a micro switch monitoring position or even put a camcorder under the hood. From my observations it's not a problem up to 32 psi boost and that's all I want.

a64pilot, I was woundering how you came up with this? I would like some more info....if you do not mind.

Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
NoWake200 said:
a64pilot said:
My wastegate (stock) is adjusted by a "calibrated leak" that TST supplies with their power max to about 32 psi max. It does not appear to be being blown open by exh. pressure prior to that point. I guess you could watch it while on a Dyno or install a micro switch monitoring position or even put a camcorder under the hood. From my observations it's not a problem up to 32 psi boost and that's all I want.

a64pilot, I was woundering how you came up with this? I would like some more info....if you do not mind.

Thanks

I don't understand what you mean. The "calibrated leak" came from TST, but it's not rocket science, you could easily duplicate it for less than $10 bucks or so. The comment on watching the wastegate was to determine if a big head wastegate is needed. The logic behind a big head wastegate is sound IMHO. But it's not needed in my truck, doing what I do, at my atmospheric pressure etc., your results may vary etc.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I think I understand....thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts