Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reason i ask.. I have been pulling all season in 3rd low, been doing well. Recently have a large increase in power. Now 3rd gear is running 4K rpms. So i tried 4th gear, had plenty of power but tranny would not hold. I want a little more ground speed.

So has anyone actually compared on the same track with the same skid the difference in 3rd low versus 1 high range?

Thank you

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
all the top Duramax/Allison trucks are running 4 low, 4th gear,

fix your trans, C1 or C2 clutches are on their way out if you're slipping in 4th

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thanks, trans isnt an option at the moment, not for the rest of this pulling season anyway.. only a few pulls left this year for me. Just trying to make the best with what i got, and dont want to waste a pull trying something new.. If i happen to draw first puller then i will try it for sure, but was just looking for first hand experience

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Pulling in high is way harder on your transmission than low. If your transmission is hurt I wouldn't try it. Just run it at 4k RPM.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
First gear high is NOT an option - the C1 clutches are the smallest in the tranny and you'll bake them likity-split coming off the line with such a high gear ratio. Stick with what you are doing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks goes to all of you..

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Micheal Tomac;1941668; said:
all the top Duramax/Allison trucks are running 4 low, 4th gear,

fix your trans, C1 or C2 clutches are on their way out if you're slipping in 4th

Is there a way to limit an older truck like my 02 from trying to shift to 5th. I have never tried fourth even on the way loose tracks because I was afraid to put it in D. I don't think the OD lockout was on an 02. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
pmeg1;1943772; said:
Is there a way to limit an older truck like my 02 from trying to shift to 5th. I have never tried fourth even on the way loose tracks because I was afraid to put it in D. I don't think the OD lockout was on an 02. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You can do it in EFILive by raising the WOT shift points to an RPM it will never see, hence no shift.

Pulling 4-hi is no good - converter will not lock either IIRC.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.