Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in VA, do I need a cat on my 95 3500? I plan on taking it off tomorrow and gutting it, or should I just completley? And how much louder will it make my truck? (the louder the better), I want the sound to compete with those noisy "bag of marbles" Dodges!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I live in Richmond myself. By the book, you need it or you will fail inspection. I am suffering the same dilema. I think gutting it and reinstalling it on the new exhaust would be the "safest" thing to do in our situation. I plan on opening the ends of it up to 4" and welding it right over the pipe (basically straight through) and they'd never know.

I can't attest to the sound, but concensus on this website seems to indicate it's not an issue.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
sound won't be too loud. I'd suggest gutting it and keeping it in place. some guys here have reported passing emissions with flying colors with a piped through cat. I don't think that the cat gets hot enough to act as a catalyst...but I'm no expert

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mine is just a straight through pipe with the cat shell welded over the top, passed emissions (Utah) with flying colors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a bunch for all the info. I just want what the little power I may get from it gutted and the hopefully some more sound!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
You can gut it and the air will flow better but if your emissions require a cat on the vehicle, you need to have something there for looks.
Our emissions just went away at the end of the year in Ohio but that did not affect me since my truck never had a cat and it did not require me to have one at the testing:ro) .

Mark

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My garage does not check emissions (yet), but at least it doesn't need inspected until 11/06. My biggest concern is the sound, I don't want to get pulled over every few miles, (beings I'm currently enrolled in the Police Academy)

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
a lot of the engine noise is mellowed out by the turbo. it's not going to sound like a stock car. Fire trucks are MUCH louder than your truck will be with a piped through cat (just to give you an example). When was the last time you saw a fire truck get pulled over??):h

1 - 8 of 8 Posts