Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in san diego, california. I have an 03 duramax that is 100% stock. My question is; does the catalytic converter installed on ca models restrict exhaust flow. The pipe looks like a thru an thru 3 inch but I was wanting to go for a full 4" straight pipe and eliminate the cat. I dont think I have to smog a diesel here but that yet could change. Does anyone know ca smog regs on diesels and whether or not i'll ever have to be concerned with reinstalling the cat if removed.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
whitetrash21;1597989; said:
I live in san diego, california. I have an 03 duramax that is 100% stock. My question is; does the catalytic converter installed on ca models restrict exhaust flow. The pipe looks like a thru an thru 3 inch but I was wanting to go for a full 4" straight pipe and eliminate the cat. I dont think I have to smog a diesel here but that yet could change. Does anyone know ca smog regs on diesels and whether or not i'll ever have to be concerned with reinstalling the cat if removed.
It'd be interesting if someone comes up and give you a firm guaranty that arnie 14 letters staff will never/ever allow diesels to be smogged. But as to the other part ~ I just reinstall my CAT as w/o it, it droned and bothered the missus ~ plus it was loud and to be honest I don't think it made any difference w/performance ~ I'd think the EGR would impact it more. Possibly we allowed what we learned from our past experiences early on w/CATified gassers shade our thinking on the new CATs for diesels ~ guess what I'm saying is that no one has come up w/a study to prove that it is restrictive as one may think.

In closing ~ reinstalling it seems 10Xs more difficult than removing it ~

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I removed the cat on both of my trucks and installed a MBRP cat-delete pipe in case I ever have to put it back on...Sound level increased nicely and cruising EGTs went down approx. 150*...

·
Registered
298 Posts
i say get a full exhaust and simply unbolt the stock unit, and if the need arises to put the cat back on just bolt it back on, but you might as well enjoy the power gains while you can

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Neens;1598107; said:
I removed the cat on both of my trucks and installed a MBRP cat-delete pipe in case I ever have to put it back on...Sound level increased nicely and cruising EGTs went down approx. 150*...
i wanna delete my cat and am currious is to where i can purchase this mbrp cat delete pipe...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
does it really matter what brand of exhaust system someone gets? its just tubing isnt it? like what are some pros and cons between different makes??

·
Registered
924 Posts
Stainless and steel pipes.Stainless is better for longgevity.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
chvymax05;1608286; said:
does it really matter what brand of exhaust system someone gets? its just tubing isnt it? like what are some pros and cons between different makes??
Tailpipe/tip exit location, hanger mounting, muffler sound/noise level...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
i just got my 2006 LBZ gmc 2500hd and i love it, but its way too quite. what is the deal with cats in illinois??
-jimmy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.