·
Banned
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANY INPUT FOR A FILTER ON THE DURAMAX?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Been using Balwin oil filters. A survey of manufactures a few years ago by "Jbplock" indictated Baldwin had the best filtering capability of the full flow filter types.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
OC_DMAX said:
Been using Balwin oil filters. A survey of manufactures a few years ago by "Jbplock" indictated Baldwin had the best filtering capability of the full flow filter types.

Whats the Baldwin part number ?? If you would ...

Thanks

Mac

·
Registered
78 Posts
Baldwin oil filter # B1441

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The Amsoil SDF-52. What information was their that said Baldwin was the best? I am not saying they are not good mind you.

Greg

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
YEs the Amsoil filters are made by Baldwin and have been for a long time. But they are made to a different spec, at least thats what I was told not only by Amsoil but Baldwin as well.

Greg

·
Registered
490 Posts
I use STP, made by Champion Labs, or Baldwin, whichever I can find easy. Purolators and K&N are great filters too.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I use NAPA or Amsoil filters.

Arent NAPA filters good?

·
Registered
63 Posts
i think napa's filters are made my wix. wix is what they use in nascar. i have been using them for my fuel filters and oil filters. seem good and can get them almost anywhere.

patrick

·
Registered
713 Posts
Anything but Fram!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Check out the thread...http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2614&KW=baldwin+1441+beta

jbplock has done a ton of research to comeup with the "Baldwin is better" claim, but he did not get any information from Amsoil. Could you provide the same information that we have for the Baldwin, Wix, and AC Delco filters??? There may be a better filter, just at the time that is all he could find.

I second the statement of "anything but Fram"!!!

HTH.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm not saying that Amsoil is better because honestly can't say. I guess I have never seen the other information.

Greg

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Speaking of filters, i just remembered a funny story(funny now, but not then cause it was my truck). I bought a new '93 Suburban 454 and at 3k changed oil to Mobil 1. That evening when i started engine to go home i heard a God awfull knock for a few seconds. I get worried. Next morning i call Mobil; they say " not us dude". I then call GM (my shop was a warranty trans center for GM at the time). I tell my story to the engineer and he asks some questions and says he will get back to me. He calls back in about 15 minutes and says get that PS Fram the hell off your truck and explains why. Knock went away and i have from that time on bought OEM filters.

mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Picked up two Baldwin B1441's for $6.58 ea. at FleetPride.

·
Registered
994 Posts
LanduytG wrote:

I'm not saying that Amsoil is better because honestly can't say. I guess I have never seen the other information

Greg,

I have used both the Baldwin and Amsoil filters. Additionally, I have cut both open after use. The filters are constructed identically. The filter media even "looked" the same, but I could not determine the actual make-up of the media. There could be small differences. However, as Bill (Jbplock) survey results point out, most manufactures were willing to share the performance info about there filters, while Amsoil was not. As an Amsoil dealer, maybe you can get some info from them, share it with everyone here and fill in the hole. Until then, I will consider the Baldwin/Amsoil to be the same and probably the best choice for DMAX filters (my opinion).

For those who would like to see some pictures of "dissected" DMAX oil filters, go to this link:

http://community.webshots.com/album/61178762NfrhyW

This page is maintained by "Mdrag" who is a moderator at The Diesel Page. He has done an excellent job of pulling this info together for everyone's use.

For those that doubt the warnings above about the FRAM filters, you really need to explore the link above. The FRAM pictures speak for themselves.

Alan

PS: DEMAXALLIS - Good price on the Baldwin filters!!Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
511 Posts
Delco, 2232, my local murrys still has them at $3.59!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts