Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've waited long enough...who makes a 5" turbo back for the LLY?
:help:
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Summit has one and several of the vendors here carry the MBRP's new 5", try a search on Summit, and with a little surfing you'll find all the info that you want.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TBB,

I'll check out the Summit and MBRP...also have an email in to Kennedy.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Good idea there, John is a supporting vendor here, not trying to put his system down, but his exhaust system it is only a 5in tailpipe. It's up to you wether or not you want the whole system from the front pipe back to be 5 in or not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just noticed that on his site...I'll see what he has to say.

Do you know why he has the 4-5 system and not the entire 5?

Just curious...

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Just noticed that on his site...I'll see what he has to say.

Do you know why he has the 4-5 system and not the entire 5?

Just curious...
Mostly because a 5" system is over kill. With just the tail-pipe you get the "look". Beats a tip every day of the week and you save on the system!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why is the 5 overkill?

I can't imagine it was done for looks...I could care less what the exhaust looks like...no chrome tip here...in and out of the water too much.

Heck, I've got the stock steel wheels which is something I get heck from every time my buddies get the chance.

All I care about is getting the most the truck can give while towing my boat. If the 5" is an advantage on cooling or any other performance issue, I want it. If not, I can do without, just seems strange that companies would spend money on making a 5" if it didn't make a difference.

Again, speculating without testing(like I often do), "if 4" is good 5" must be better", but I've learned it ain't always true. ;)

Thanks,

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Quite a few people have tested and found that there is no advantage to a 5" over a 4". It's sort of like a having a 2 foot diameter sewer pipe exiting your house. While it doesn't hurt anything it is definately over kill.

In this case it's all about the looks.

Not to mention that you are already bottle necked by the down pipe so going a whole bunch bigger behind that isn't going to gain you much.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
There is NO advantage performance wise or EGT cooling over a 4 inch exhaust with a 5 inch exhaust.

Now if you were to run a big charger and a ton of fuel than I would consider

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what that means is I should be sticking with the 4" search for an exhaust if I don't care about the looks?

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I would.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it just me or is the LLY 4-5 quieter (and more better) than the LB7 Banks combo? ;)

Sort of hard to tell...but that 4-5 KD is pretty nice sounding compared to the LB7 Banks.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
The LLY is quite a bit quieter then the LB7 as far as exhaust sound goes. This is due to the variable vanes of the turbo being closed and blocking a lot of sound.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I prefer stepped systems rather than dumping abruptly from 4 to 5"

HP gains are dyno proven at stock programming levels.

The Summit tailpipe hangs way low behind the axle. Low enough that I have issues with dyno straps. There's really no reason or excuse for that.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
HP gains are dyno proven but there isn't any advantage on a stock truck with a 5" over a 4" correct Kennedy?

My system will probably be Kennedy's 5" but mostly for the coolness factor :D

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Mostly because a 5" system is over kill. With just the tail-pipe you get the "look". Beats a tip every day of the week and you save on the system!
My dad thinks the 4" is outrageous... I'll have to get the 5" tailpipe just to mess with him. ):h

·
Registered
2,393 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I found a Full Boar 5" complete system for $489.60 but I am just waiting for someone to say the full boar systems fit decent before I order.

·
Registered
257 Posts
IMHO the LLY sounds best straight piped:ro)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.