Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is making the NAPA fuel filters?

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  udflyer98 
#1 ·
Title says it all. Just need to know if they are ok.

#2 ·
I'm not sure who makes them. But I use them and I've never had a problem, I also use them on all the trucks at work

Edit: Just remembered they are WIX Filters!!!

#3 ·
This may have changed recently, and someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all the fuel filters are made by Racor and then rebadged as necessary....Wix, NAPA, Baldwin, etc....

#6 ·
#11 ·
partsguy662;1568383; said:
It doesn't matter where you get your filter from for your Duramax......It might be in a Fram, purolator, napa, wix, etc box....it is still made by racor.....potato potatoe, if you will
Not so sure about this. This used to be the case, but I just bought 3 Baldwin fuel filters from Kennedydiesel.com, and they are not racor. In fact, these are made in China, have a silvery can, and if you look inside they are assembled with a heavy duty internal spring much like the Baldwin Mega fuel filter or like most oil filters. This is NOT a Racor filter. SPICER

#12 ·
I bought 2 a couple of weeks ago that are the same as yours. I think Baldwin is having these made but I have no idea who is doing it.

#14 ·
partsguy662;1568383; said:
It doesn't matter where you get your filter from for your Duramax......It might be in a Fram, purolator, napa, wix, etc box....it is still made by racor.....potato potatoe, if you will
Actually that has changed. Baldwin is making their own as is some other company. I have dissected this unit and verified the quality of construction. I also have one generic unit here that I cut open and 3 more sent in for testing. This indicates that at least 3 companies are producing filters for the Dmax.

Without getting into detail, the generic one has more of a conventional "orange" media versus the white that we are used to seeing...

#15 ·
dmax4fun;1570849; said:
The new Napa gold filters I got form fleetfilter have bumps around the top of the filter and the whole thing feels like its plastic(pretty sure it is). It is nothing like the delco I just took off. Anyone else get one like this?
By bumps do you mean wrinkles in the rim of the can where it's folded over? Like where the oring goes?

#16 ·
Kennedy;1571332; said:
By bumps do you mean wrinkles in the rim of the can where it's folded over? Like where the oring goes?
John,
You feel confident the Baldwins are good units? The last batch I got from you were the cad plated ones and I think they said made over seas.

#17 ·
Kennedy;1571329; said:
Actually that has changed. Baldwin is making their own as is some other company. I have dissected this unit and verified the quality of construction. I also have one generic unit here that I cut open and 3 more sent in for testing. This indicates that at least 3 companies are producing filters for the Dmax.

Without getting into detail, the generic one has more of a conventional "orange" media versus the white that we are used to seeing...
Yep, I agree with you John (disregard my previous post about this)
I just opened a new case of these and took one out...Definite change, for sure...
I'll have to cut one of these apart and compare it to the old style.

#18 ·
Absolutely confident. These are very well constructed. Before I ever sent them out I cut one open to verify the quality.

Now I have to be honest and mention that I did have one failure, but that was a crack in the can at the crimp and appears to be a fluke. It also in no way should have risked the ingestion of debris.

#20 ·
partsguy662;1571392; said:
Yep, I agree with you John (disregard my previous post about this)
I just opened a new case of these and took one out...Definite change, for sure...
I'll have to cut one of these apart and compare it to the old style.

I think you might be surprised and see WHY the third mfr's filters are less $$$. My guess is that this is being built by or for Wix...

#21 ·
partsguy662;1571397; said:
More like raised ridges in the side of the can near the crimp. They might have these on for hand removal as I can't see another purpose for it.
Hmm, a 4th mfr? or 4th style? Trojan? :eek:

I guess I need to buy 4 of these for dissection and testing too...

#23 · (Edited)
Raised ridges for HER Pleasure......oops way off topic.

I Think the ones I got are Plastic on the outside. Is that the way yours are partsguy? Also when installing the wif sensor the hole and threads seemed over sized and "popped" and loosened up again. This was with very little tightening. Kinda scary to me to only have this thing in barely hand tight.

By the way Partsguy.....Either I'm off the list or You've been slacking.

#26 ·
dmax4fun;1570849; said:
The new Napa gold filters I got form fleetfilter have bumps around the top of the filter and the whole thing feels like its plastic(pretty sure it is). It is nothing like the delco I just took off. Anyone else get one like this?
I just replaced my filter (plugged the old one with only 4K miles). I have been using Napa filters for quite a while. The last 2 times I stopped to get a filter, they could no longer find the part in the computer and had to look it up in a book. The old filter I just removed was a metal can and the internal plastic was a light brown / color. The new filter from Napa has the finger ridges along the top edge, the internal plastic is black, the holes for the fuel to flow are different, and the threads for the WIF sensor appear to be plastic.

I was not impressed by this new filter and I was wondering if anyone else had seen this change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.