·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock
Kennedy TCM
ATS CoPilot

?

Since the first time I tested the CoPilot there were other issues with the trans (ATS trans), I felt obliged to compare it in "working" trim on a good transmission against the Kennedy TCM.

For the stock testing we used Kat's truck. 2 passes with the Kennedy, then two passes with the Stock TCM.

Kennedy -
1.81 60' 13.33 @ 101.30
1.85 60' 13.39 @ 100.77

Stock TCM -
1.84 60' 13.57 @ 99.41
1.92 60' 13.67 @ 99.31

Or about 0.2 seconds. This backs up our testing on Casper which gained .15.

Now to test the ATS Copilot. I did several passes with the CoPilot first in Casper:

CoPilot:
1.75 60' 12.93 @ 103.99
1.75 60' 12.95 @ 103.86

Kennedy TCM:
1.72 60' 12.89 @ 103.61
1.74 60' 12.93 @ 103.63

Certainly not a huge difference in ET. But it was getting later in the day, and I was slowing down a bit. The Kennedy felt more predictable, the ATS had a couple of 13.0x thrown in.

I still feel the Kennedy TCM will yield better track results, but not by much. Considering the price difference, for racing the Kennedy is probably a better bet. Not that the CoPilot is a slouch, as either TCM mod will certainly drop your ET significantly.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Pat, have you noticed either the Kennedy TCM or the copilot working better with the nitrous? Seems like my transmission takes forever to shift when using nitrous and I would like to know if the TCM or the copilot is going to help it.
Thanks
Nate

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Can Kennedys TCM be used everyday?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Can Kennedys TCM be used everyday?
I prefer not to as I don't want it learning any bad had habits on the street. I want it "Race Ready":ro)

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
How hard is it to swap out the TCMs?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
How hard is it to swap out the TCMs?
McRat can do it in about 5 minutes if the engine is cool :D

I'm slow):h typed it faster then I did

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I cant find these on his website.....What are they worth?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am interested in this post also. How much??

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
IIRC they $500

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Half the price of a Co-Pilot and i dont have to pull the trans!!

SOLD :D

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Co pilot is always ready for that pesky ricer that pulls up next to you though;) You can run the KEnnedy TCM on the street but its like its stuck in a permanent TH mode bassicly. It would drive me batty to run on the street but some people dont mind it.

Seems that people see results all over the board with different trans training :confused: 60's improve a bit.....seems your truck liked the converter locking a hair earlier? Would you say thats the reason? Or does the kennedy TCM do it eariler than the co pilot?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Is the Kennedy TCM just a TCM from the 4500/Kodiak trucks? Not trying to start anything, I just would like to know.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tested a 04.5 4500 LLY Kodiak TCM, and it was slower than Kennedy TCM, but I don't remember the #'s on it. They are different.

As far as Nitrous goes, I stopped running the nitrous and may not run it again unless the root cause of the drugged engine failures is truly known.

My truck never shifted right on the bottle no matter what the TCM control was.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Co pilot is always ready for that pesky ricer that pulls up next to you though;) You can run the KEnnedy TCM on the street but its like its stuck in a permanent TH mode bassicly. It would drive me batty to run on the street but some people dont mind it.

Seems that people see results all over the board with different trans training :confused: 60's improve a bit.....seems your truck liked the converter locking a hair earlier? Would you say thats the reason? Or does the kennedy TCM do it eariler than the co pilot?
I certainly wouldn't get rid of a CoPilot for a Kennedy TCM unless you are looking for every last .01 second. It would not make financial sense.

Yes, the Kennedy passes did 60 better by a hair. As to the cause, I'm not sure. I leave at the same RPM.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya know...

I'm a retard.

I should have tested with the Kennedy+CoPilot too. DOH!!! Wonder if there are a few more .01's in the combo?

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Ya know...

I'm a retard.

I should have tested with the Kennedy+CoPilot too. DOH!!! Wonder if there are a few more .01's in the combo?
Well, you've been living with a blonde for quite some time Pat..It was bound to start rubbing off sooner or later ):h

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Thanks for the info on the TCM Pat.

About the nitrous...Do you mean your going to stop spraying Casper as well as Blue? Did it also shift bad with nitrous? How many nitrous only motors have you heard taking a dump?

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info on the TCM Pat.

About the nitrous...Do you mean your going to stop spraying Casper as well as Blue? Did it also shift bad with nitrous? How many nitrous only motors have you heard taking a dump?
Until I get the EGT's under 1600, and find out why drugged engines are letting loose (Have we reached the limit for HP? Or is it timing issues?) I will stick with #2. Can't justify popping a motor just to find out.

Yes, another 2 local LLY's burned at least their turbo with nitrous. We were spraying Casper when we burned a turbo.

Most the other failures have been combinations of nitrous and other drugs. And many failures go unreported as well.

I always thought nitrous was safe with diesels, based on "physics". It shouldn't be able to cause pre-ignition, since it isn't a fuel. I'm not sure what to think.

At a minimum, the EGT's pose a problem with the LLY's.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 69 Posts