Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind, how big, and how do you like it?


I'm looking for the 10-12" range I want to clear 40" and will be runing 20" rims.... gonna look amazing.... I've seen several truck with this type setup around here but nevr can catch up with the owner to get their opinions....


And has anyone heard of some type of bag setup.... like to make the height adjustable, as I'm understanding.


got n-e pics of big lift truck?? post um up !!! lets see yur beauty...Edited by: QuikSSilver
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
QuikSSilver, man your talkin' huge
I have a 6" Superlift with 315's and love the way it looks. Ride quality has been excellent, and no excessive wear & tear problems to date (28K miles). I too have seen a few like you are talking about, but haven't been able to talk to them. I saw an Escalade lifted big & with the airbags in a magazine last year, but can't remember the details. here'a pic of my "little truck"

Good luck w/yours, and be sure to post pic's whi it's done. DinoMax
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I have a 6" RCD lift with 315 tires. It rides better then stock, Bilstein shocks. I don't think it would be practical to go oover 6" on a HD since you would be limited on what you could use it for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts
I have a 6" Fabtech with Rancho RS9000 shocks. works fine. They make a kit for *" lift but requires replacing the drive shaft and the upper a-arm. Brobably works fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmmm.....


Well I am certainly going bigger than 6" since I will be clearing the 40's....


My middle name is overkill... so going stupid big seems to fit right... LOL @ myself I've never known any other way..... except to take all parcticallity out of my vehicles.... like my intaked, Cammed(110 LSA cam), convertered, headered, slicks& skinnys mounted, daily driven camaro... lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
If you want to clear 40's your gonna want 12 true inchs of lift unless you don't mind trimming away and rubbing in the rear when you tow. I run a 12 inch bulletproof suspension lift and have been really satisfied with it thus far. It replaces the weak tie rod ends with 3/4 inch heim joints which was my big problem area back when I had my 97 silverado with a 6inch pro-comp on it. I run 39.5 sts's and tow a 20 foot flat bed full of toys to the dunes almost every weekend. I also tow my dad's 30 WW and have MINOR rubbing in the rear that I will be taking care of with either a load-assist bag set-up or some fox bump stops.


I will try to post up some pics later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
If I was even considering a lift that tall, I would probably look into a solid axle conversion. Not sure who would do it, but I would start at Off-Road Unlimited, or maybe Off-Road Designs.

Swapping to a D60 front would give you more options for gears and traction aids as well. Not to mention that it would look SICK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chaps said:
If you want to clear 40's your gonna want 12 true inchs of lift unless you don't mind trimming away and rubbing in the rear when you tow. I run a 12 inch bulletproof suspension lift and have been really satisfied with it thus far. It replaces the weak tie rod ends with 3/4 inch heim joints which was my big problem area back when I had my 97 silverado with a 6inch pro-comp on it. I run 39.5 sts's and tow a 20 foot flat bed full of toys to the dunes almost every weekend. I also tow my dad's 30 WW and have MINOR rubbing in the rear that I will be taking care of with either a load-assist bag set-up or some fox bump stops.


I will try to post up some pics later




NICE... thats the kind of info I'm wanting to hear about.....


Chaps, where are you located?? I go to Pismo Beach often and Glamis several times a year... ever been to either of the two?


anywayz if you get some pics that would be sweet!!! I'd love to see your truck!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mjollnir said:
If I was even considering a lift that tall, I would probably look into a solid axle conversion. Not sure who would do it, but I would start at Off-Road Unlimited, or maybe Off-Road Designs.

Swapping to a D60 front would give you more options for gears and traction aids as well. Not to mention that it would look SICK.




thanks for the info... and yes your correct the solid axle would be easiest.... but I've been there done that... I've been seeing more and more IFS setups that big in the recent months so I'm wanting to go that route....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
QuikSSilver Im located in San Diego and have been to pismo once before and glamis a bunch of times but we usually camp at gordons well (easier drive and parking) and rider down to the glamis end. I go out to the desert about 3 times a month and use my truck to tow their, drive to drags, the hill at night, and get me home. Where are you located?


I also looked into a SFA swap but as far as IFS lifts go im convinced I have one of the strongest available and it has worked great for me so far. I too like the look and ability to go bigger than 12 inch without a body lift but my truck is already over the legal headlight limit and for how much I use my truck this will work for now. If I start to have problems then I will look into a SFA swap but I don't have the $$$ as of now, they usually end up costing alot more than most people realize and for my case and maybe yours aren't needed.


I will work on getting a couple pics up so stay tuned and hit me up with any more questions you may have
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,971 Posts
Let me just tell you from experience with several types of lifts, you do not want to go that big. I have had several trucks with lifts on them.


1. 2000 C1500 with 21" of lift and it was a nightmare in the end, way too much trouble.


2. 2002 2500HD with 12" lift and it too was a nightmare, going through tires, alignments all the time and gear issues.


I now have a 2004 GMC 2500HD and it will stay stock, except for some bigger tires and programmer and mild motor work.


In the end I can total up an expense over 2 trucks of about 40K after lifting both trucks and all the expenses that were incurred from lifting them. One other note when you try to sell it or trade it in that is where you will get hit hard. I tried to trade in my 02 HD on a H2 Hummer, the truck was worth over 26K when I tried to get rid of it and dealer would only give me 17K and it only had 9K miles on it. So I would consider what you are about to do. Think real hard.


If you are still interested you might want to look at www.bncoffroad.com for a 3rd Coast Suspension lift. Or you can look at Full Throttle or Whiplash. There are alot of good kits out there and you will have to decide in the end depending on what you are willing to spend. Second note stay away from 20" wheels. The load you will be exerting on them from your truck will in time warp them and they will not hold up. Just what I have been told. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GMC2500HD said:
Let me just tell you from experience with several types of lifts, you do not want to go that big. I have had several trucks with lifts on them.


1. 2000 C1500 with 21" of lift and it was a nightmare in the end, way too much trouble.


2. 2002 2500HD with 12" lift and it too was a nightmare, going through tires, alignments all the time and gear issues.


I now have a 2004 GMC 2500HD and it will stay stock, except for some bigger tires and programmer and mild motor work.


In the end I can total up an expense over 2 trucks of about 40K after lifting both trucks and all the expenses that were incurred from lifting them. One other note when you try to sell it or trade it in that is where you will get hit hard. I tried to trade in my 02 HD on a H2 Hummer, the truck was worth over 26K when I tried to get rid of it and dealer would only give me 17K and it only had 9K miles on it. So I would consider what you are about to do. Think real hard.


If you are still interested you might want to look at www.bncoffroad.com for a 3rd Coast Suspension lift. Or you can look at Full Throttle or Whiplash. There are alot of good kits out there and you will have to decide in the end depending on what you are willing to spend. Second note stay away from 20" wheels. The load you will be exerting on them from your truck will in time warp them and they will not hold up. Just what I have been told. Good luck




thanks for all the good info... i will certainly take it into consideration!!!


and I will check into the 20 " wheel issue you explained





Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
GMC2500HD what were you running on your 2000 wihth 21 inchs of lift?? had to be SFA or 2wd or lots of body lift. Also what kind of lift were did you have on the 02 2500 HD?? I have an 03 2500 HD with a quality 12 inch lift and use it daily for around town, tow with it everyweekend, put dirtbikes in it, etc. and love it and haven't had any worse wear than I did with a 6 inch lift on my 97 silverado 1500.


21 inch is pushing it but 12 should be fine, better wear than a 6 inch lift with the torsions cranked!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Camstyn I was thinking the same thing, it must be a typo but I don't see how it took him 2 truck both with 12 inch lifts to finally realize that he didn't want a truck that big.


Who knows though hopefully he can clarify for us and tell us what kind of lifts he was running
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,971 Posts
No the 21" was not a typo. Yes it was a 2wd and it only had 3" body all the rest was suspension. The kit was a Full Throttle. It was suppose to only lift the truck another 14" but was built wrong. The geometry of the kit was all perfect but the kit ended up being a problem in the end. I had spindles on it as well and the total when all was measured was 21". I was running 39x18s on it. It was huge. Also on the HD I was running a Whiplash and did not know about certain issues with that kit till after it was installed.


I will find some pics and post them.Edited by: GMC2500HD
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top