Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a favorable experience with communicating with Quadzilla and/or Quad Boenker. I have not, but I have been reluctant to speak out because I have been so pleased with the Stealth tuner. At this point I am completly disgusted with Quad's lack of response to posts, PM's, and emails. I would like to know if this is my isolated experience or is this SOP?

Quad's wife Gloria is the last person I heard from since 9/26 when she said:

"Alan,

Quad is out of town until Tuesday. I was going to try and answer your questions but it looks like you and Quad have been talking for a while. I will make sure your email is responded to and all questions are answered on Tuesday. Sorry for the delay.

Thanks

Gloria Boenker

(Quad's wife)"

I have had one other Diesel Place member contact me with his similar experience so I think it's time to ask this question of Diesel Place members. Is it just me & 1 other or is this SOP???

If Quads wife can't get him to respond how can I expect him to??

2DAMAXEdited by: DMAX2DAMAX

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I would say a little bit of both for me. I did leave several messages for Quad after we had exchanged some emails and PM's to discuss my Stealth 215 setup. The email/PM's were pretty quickly responded to. After a few days he called me one evening well after normal business hours to discuss what I wanted. I know that he had to take time away from the private life to do so and we had a great conversation about the trucks, chips, tuners, etc.

I really think that they just can't keep up with demand. FWIW I have had similar experience with all the vendors of tuners and chips for the Duramax. Some good, some bad, but all in all I am happy with Quad. I don't know what we can do to help out your situation but the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I called yesterday => No call back ,yet ..... Maybe he's related to RWTD ...

Mac

·
Registered
351 Posts
He has been very helpful to me. I had 2 bad tuners and he took care of it fast. He even called me on a Sunday in Alaska to talk. I did have couple emails that were not returned but for the most part he seems to make an effort.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
hunting season.........he has returned every message I left, called me after hours and has really got a great personality and has been a great help. He did tell me that he does take some time off to hunt...dave

·
Registered
322 Posts
Maverick, what were the symptoms of your bad tuners?

I bought a Quad from Van but it repeatedly froze up on me as I tried to tune the truck, at random places during the dialogue. I managed to get a tune installed but it ran like crap. Fortunately I managed to restore it back to stock. Went through the whole cycle again with the same result. The whole experience was frustrating.

Van was OUTSTANDING ... responded very quickly to my e-mails and sent me a prompt refund.

I kind of wrote it off to the unit not being compatible with my truck ... was torn about whether or not to try another one but decided against it when Van couldn't confirm the unit was bad.

I can get the Predator to work and I'm happy with it. But even it sometimes gives me "script interpreter error" while downloading, and once it completely froze up during a download. Scary deal because after one of these errors, the truck won't start and the Predator says no VIN. But unplugging and replugging the Predator, it goes into a recovery mode and gets it back to stock.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
ZFMax said:
Maverick, what were the symptoms of your bad tuners?

I bought a Quad from Van but it repeatedly froze up on me as I tried to tune the truck, at random places during the dialogue. I managed to get a tune installed but it ran like crap. Fortunately I managed to restore it back to stock. Went through the whole cycle again with the same result. The whole experience was frustrating.

Van was OUTSTANDING ... responded very quickly to my e-mails and sent me a prompt refund.

I kind of wrote it off to the unit not being compatible with my truck ... was torn about whether or not to try another one but decided against it when Van couldn't confirm the unit was bad.

I can get the Predator to work and I'm happy with it. But even it sometimes gives me "script interpreter error" while downloading, and once it completely froze up during a download. Scary deal because after one of these errors, the truck won't start and the Predator says no VIN. But unplugging and replugging the Predator, it goes into a recovery mode and gets it back to stock.

I tried 2 Stealth (tow version) tuners as well and couldn't get either to work on my truck. Various symptoms with both ... errors trying to change levels, although mostly successful with levels 1,2 often got errors trying 3,4. Quad was VERY helpful and we spoke several times on the phone ... I think alot of it has to due with 'LT' models and or OnStar as it seems the LT electronics cause a lot of problems with the Stealth ... Quad had me yanking specific fuses, etc. to try and isolate the problem but finally I gave up. I'm still planning buy a Stealth once I can get one that works reliably. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Coincidentally, I had sent a msg. to quad yesterday morning with no feedback yet. It's only about 26 hrs. ago so no big deal.

I recall some mentioning to turn your OnStar off prior to programming in case there is any communication with your vehicle, it could interrupt the ECM reprogramming.

So far I've just been rolling the dice and not disabling mine, nor will I be renewing the service. Someone should start a poll - do you intend to or did you renew your onstar service?

Perhaps we could arrange a group purchase.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There have also been past issues with using different programmers on the same ECU. It was with various GM gas engines. For some reason Install Programer 1, remove it, install programmer 2 now you have a non-usable ECU. I’m aware of it happening on a LS1. I believe the combo was hypertech – superchip. I have heard of other instances in some of the LS1edit forums.

From what I understood previously, On-Star communicates periodically much like you cell phone does when you are not talking on it. If it communicates while downloading to the ecu, it can cause an incomplete load. Depending on where the data is in may even prevent it from returning to stock.

Maybe some of the tuners can comment

·
Banned
328 Posts
Ok, maybe we can kill several birds with one stone here.

Alan,

Sorry i didn't get back with you I thought I had answered all of your questions? I did ask Gloria, and she said you had sent an e-mail while I was out, and she responded to you. Then she deleted it!
I am sure that she told me to get back with you, but I guess I forgot or didn't listen or something. Email me your questions and I will get back with you ASAP as I can't find the e-mail now.

I have been very very very busy with several issues we are correcting. WE have had 2 problems that are very frustrating to me. The first is a VIN# Mis-match. I have that fixed. I have only had a couple of tuners do this and if you have sent one in you will be recieving your new one in a day or two and it will work fine.

The second porblem is the freezing up and not wanting to change power levels on some trucks. To this day I have no idea why they do this. From what I have seen it is not just our tuner, but I have done everything I can to stop it from acting up. We tested on several problem trucks and only had one freeze up. We disconnected it and tried it again and it has worked fine since. I think for the most part this problem is fixed as well.

Mav,

I think your tuner was shipped back out, if it wasn't please let me know.

Mackin,

I am tryin......

I will try to get caught up on emails and messages...hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
From my experience with Quad he has been very forthcoming with info. Granted I'm sure he gets an immense amount of voicemail, email, pm's, etc. As other have stated, he called me back after business hours and talked to me for several hours. Being that he is ahead of me in time zones, he didn't hang up the phone until after 2:00am his time! He is a busy guy but really does take time away from his personal life to get back to people!

·
Registered
322 Posts
My freeze-ups weren't OnStar related, I don't have OnStar.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Topdog,

My first tuner was a 50-110. It loaded fine and could switch to different levels but could not get the speedo to correct. I set it back to stock and installed the speedo only and it still didn't work. I was gonna install the 50 tune and it scrambled my VIN. It said VIN-MIS MATCH but didn't display my whole vin. Sent it back and Quad sent me another next day air to Alaska and I installed the 50 and left for the lower 48. I tried to install the 110 while in Edmonton, AB to show a DP lurker and it wouldn't install. Said re-flash error. Worked on the other 3 tunes. Stopped at Matt's (SoMnDmax) and tried the 110 on his truck and would not install either. Sent it back again and this new 135 seems to work awesome so far. Loaded on the first try. Excellent service from Quad.

Quad, got the new 135. Works awesome. Just need a tranny up grade to hold it.Edited by: Maverick

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quad,

Please forgive me if this seems a bit skeptical but I'll post the questions here as it appears you may actually respond here if not to emails or PM's. This has not been your failure to respond to just one email, but a series of unanswered PM's which you have said you don't do well with, a Diesel Place Post where you said you would post pics & didn't, and several unanswered emails, even one after the one Gloria responded to. I don't mean to make more of this than it is but please don't try to minimze it either.

This is essentially a list of the questions that were in the email that Gloria responded to on 9/26:

1. We are having a dyno day in GA and I want to run higher HP tunes but want/need gauges before moving up. You replied to a post stating you mounted the thermocouple in a slightly different spot than the aka hoot spot. You said you were going to post pictures and I asked if you would along with your explanation as to why you preferred this location. I'd like to hear your reasons and see the location before I decide.

2. You quoted me $xxx (if you don't recall the amount I can send you an email if you don't want it posted) to upgrade my Tow tuner with the 165HP tune because you don't have a 150HP tune. What other mods will I need before I go to 165HP tune?

3. Must I return my tune to stock and send you the tuner for the upgrade or is there a download available?

4. If I go for the $xxx 165HP tune upgrade, what lower tunes will I have?

5. I had seen a post stating that you gave a xx% (if you don't recall the actual percentage I can send you an email if you don't want it posted) discount to BB members, can you confirm or deny?

Thanks!

2DAMAX

PS. I have had no problems with my Staelth tuner, it is awesome!! I would like other Quadzilla products but I'm concerned that I may have problems getting resolution if I do have a problem with Quadzilla products. Who wouldn't given my experience to date?

·
Banned
328 Posts
DMAX2DAMAX said:
1. We are having a dyno day in GA and I want to run higher HP tunes but want/need gauges before moving up. You replied to a post stating you mounted the thermocouple in a slightly different spot than the aka hoot spot. You said you were going to post pictures and I asked if you would along with your explanation as to why you preferred this location. I'd like to hear your reasons and see the location before I decide.

I just need time to take another picture. It is essentially inthe same place. I choose to go a little closer to the turbo...like 1-2 inches. I feel that if I install it in the thinner tube where it is bent 90 deg I get a better read of all 4 cylinders. I think the HOOT spot is fine, I just move it to a slightly different place.

2. You quoted me $xxx (if you don't recall the amount I can send you an email if you don't want it posted) to upgrade my Tow tuner with the 165HP tune because you don't have a 150HP tune. What other mods will I need before I go to 165HP tune?

It depends. On a dyno you are probably fine. If you want to run it on the street you will need an exhaust, gauges, a transmission. An intake system would be nice as well. Even with this the egt's will probably we a little on the warm side.

3. Must I return my tune to stock and send you the tuner for the upgrade or is there a download available?

Send it to me.

4. If I go for the $xxx 165HP tune upgrade, what lower tunes will I have?

70-110-135-165

5. I had seen a post stating that you gave a xx% (if you don't recall the actual percentage I can send you an email if you don't want it posted) discount to BB members, can you confirm or deny?

At one point I gave 10% to thedieselpage members. I really don't haveas running policy on this right now. WE have several dealers that are reachable on both boards and they give good discounts as well.

If that doesn't answer them let me know.

Thanks,

Quad

PS. I have had no problems with my Staelth tuner, it is awesome!! I would like other Quadzilla products but I'm concerned that I may have problems getting resolution if I do have a problem with Quadzilla products. Who wouldn't given my experience to date?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Quad sorry about the Cell connections ..... Also when you get the message I left on the answering machine dissregard ....

I had someone else on the line ,I was in three way calling and didn't know till I got a message from your machine push "2" to playback or something ... It willl be entertaining 5min discussion about going to the packy,flogging a DODGE and a Watertown cop with Diesel Smoke .... I'll PM you my numbers ....

Mac

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
2DAMAX wrote: We are having a dyno day in GA and I want to run higher HP tunes

Looks like somebody is gonna make a run at my top Duramax dyno spot at DPM.
Of course, since he has only run just a few Duramax trucks on the dyno it was not that hard.
I am looking forward to seeing you there and I hope we get some more southeast folks to show up. Where are you guys....??????

I think that you will be just fine for a few dyno passes with that setup, the run is a lot shorter than a balls out 1/4 mile pass in duration or a long hill climb with a loaded trailer. Get that puppy upgraded and let's put it on the rollers!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
DMAX2DAMAX said:
Has anyone had a favorable experience with communicating with Quadzilla and/or Quad Boenker. I have not, but I have been reluctant to speak out because I have been so pleased with the Stealth tuner. At this point I am completly disgusted with Quad's lack of response to posts, PM's, and emails. I would like to know if this is my isolated experience or is this SOP?

2DAMAX
i for one can only say good things about quadzilla power and the customer service.sorry your experience has yet to be as good .i am soon quad and the staff will do thier best to make sure you are happy in the long run.....jess

1 - 20 of 35 Posts