Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when going to the dealer do you ever ask to talk face to face with the tech. as a tech and have been 5 years 3 with chevrolet i have maybe talked to 20 owners most of them have been in once before with thw same complaint. by the 2nd or 3rd time is when i see them and by then there pissed.hey as tech we dont bite and yes we are busy, but we are human and put our pants on the same way as everyone else screw the advisor talk to the tech.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
patrick,

What about that sign that says:

Shop rate $60.00

$90.00 if you watch

$120.00 if you help

And the one that says "Our insurance company does not permit us to allow customers in the service bay area" ...Right

Great suggestion though, thanks!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
patrick said:
when going to the dealer do you ever ask to talk face to face with the tech. as a tech and have been 5 years 3 with chevrolet i have maybe talked to 20 owners most of them have been in once before with thw same complaint. by the 2nd or 3rd time is when i see them and by then there pissed.hey as tech we dont bite and yes we are busy, but we are human and put our pants on the same way as everyone else screw the advisor talk to the tech.
I talk to the service writer ...... If I have a problem I then have talked to the service manager .... From there I ask to speak to the owner ......

One way to get to the tech without asking (you shouldn't be worried about asking people ) is "if" your dealer is like mine the techs bring the vehicles in and out .... So next time you bring it in on a first thing appointment, have time to hang out till he comes out ....
I've meet a couple mechanics that way,just an idea if your dealer gives you the snub nose ..... Introduce yourself,be brief about the problem your having ,remember his time is his money .... Don't expect to chew his ear off ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
All the shops I go in have the same 'Customers stay OUT' and usually OSHA or insurance reference.

Some have a sign requiring safety glasses so I whip mine out and go in.

I've talked to lots of techs for cars to big trucks to farm equipment.

Most are nice and want the first hand account of the problem.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm fortunate at mine. I'm really good friends with one of the techs there, and his "office" is right by the door into the shop. I just peak my head in, and if he's there, I go right in and talk to him. He says that I'll never get in trouble, but he might,
, but it doesn't really bother him.

Also, the main diesel tech at my dealers owns a truck IDENTICAL to mine (color and all), so I can talk to him anytime that I want. He loves to talk about the Dmax.

CADman_ksEdited by: CADman_ks

·
Registered
429 Posts
My current dealership (I think I'll stay with these guys fo awhile) actually has two service centers, one at the dealership and one about 10 miles away for when the bigger trucks need to be on a lift for work (that's where the DMAX techs are). I've been to both and was able to talk directly to a tech each time. Kinda refreshing.

Josh

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
It sounds like you take pride in your work and that is a great thing. I got to know EVERYONE at the the dealership were I took my PowerStroke. At least twice a year if not more I would bring the truck in on a friday and give the guys a couple of cases of beer.
The only rule I had was drink the beer after they finished working on my rig.
Once I did that they loved me. When I call(own a Focus) they are always there to help even today when I am driving a Duramax. The really funny thing is one of there diesel techs loves the GM truck.
Go figure.

It also helps and was told they fought over who was going to work on my truck...I kept it clean inside and out you could eat off the engine...if you take pride they should also.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
The Biggest problem I have with service writers is this...

They dont write up exactly what you tell them.

What I said: The roof on my truck buckles at freeway speeds over 75mph with a gusty wind especially wind from the side.

What he wrote: Roof makes noise after 70mph.

This happens all the time. When I go back I get a "can not duplicate" in that column.

Geeesh I wonder why........

·
Registered
242 Posts
I usually write/print out a letter to the mechanic and try to carefully explain the symptoms/problem I am having. I will also check for TSB's and will print/attach them if I feel the problem is TSB related. I always end my letter with a big THANK YOU! and sign my name. I hand this to the service writer and/or leave it in the truck and instruct the service writer to give the letter to the mechanic. Since I started doing this about 5 years ago I feel I have gotten better, more consistent service and generally great results on repairs. I don't know if the service writer cares, but the mechanics usually appreciate knowing that a semi-intelligent person is trying to share all the details with them.

I started doing this because I didn't feel the service writers were accurately capturing what I was telling them. It's worked well for me and doesn't break any dealership "rules of engagement".

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Patrick, what do you say you and I start a service dept togather? It sounds like we share the same beliefs in trying to provide good service. I have been in the dealership now for about 10 years and its always a pet peve of mine that the advisors fail to get all the info. The customers of mine at my dealer routinely stand in my stall "leaning on the fender" as I work on there rig. They will ask questions, chit chat and such. I try to help them understand as much as I can about whats going on and why this is or that is. I take the time out of my day to do an oil change for them instead of making them taking it to the quick lube rack. I dont make squat on changing the oil, but I would just assume take a few minutes and do it for a repeat customer. I guess I look at it like this...when you go to Mac'D's you place your order with the "service advisor" who then transmits your order to the cook "tech" and he is expected to put on extra oniions when the "advisor" may have forgotten to tell him. If you dont get extra onions, your gonna b*&tch to the advisor or the tech? If you told the cook you wanted extra onions, likely would get them and the amount you wanted. Anybody else following my thoughts here? Alot of my customers that feel that they are bothering me(which they dont) offer to take me out to lunch to discuss matters when I am not working. Thats works out very well, get a break and get to chit chat.

Like FredG does, I routinely get a folder from a customer outlining each and every problem and when/how/why/where. I truly believe that the better you know the tech, the better he will take care of you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have never had any trouble dealing with the techs at my dealership. They have always seemed willing to take time for me, and have fixed problems as expected.

The service writer is a whole different story. My truck was built with a faulty ABS module so after just a couple of days the "ABS" light came on. It also had repeated chimes and constant DIC warnings which were more than a little bit annoying. So I took it in as soon as I had a chance. I told the service writer all about it, and he basically told me to leave and forget about it because there was no way that I could have developed a problem already.
At this point I was a little pissed off. So I asked if I should just ignore the light, the chimes and the warnings for the rest of my friggin life and live with them. Keep in mind that the truck is only a couple of days old, and the visions of salespeople explaining why I should buy from them are still fresh in my mind.

So after a bit of arm twisting he agreed to have someone look at it. It took the tech all of about 10 minutes to figure it out, but then it took him another 15 minutes to convince the service writer that indeed it was broken, and needed parts.

They fixed my truck that day, but they broke thier relashionship with me. All because the service writer was an asswipe. I have been back twice since then. Both times I approached the service writer with a combative attitude so that I could get to the tech and resolve my problems. The techs did there jobs well all three times.

I think that from now on I will just demand to deal with them directly. --SS

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you know its good to hear all your stories. sad for all the crap with advisiors. some are good wish more where retired tech who knew a little about a vechicle.hear is a story 3 days ago i got a venture van with a rt front hub bearing about to come apart, wheel so lose i was thinking the tooth fary was visiting tonight. anyway i ordered the part under 3/36 so it all free. ordered over nigth at 4pm oregon time so lansing would be 7 i think. east coast cut is 1pm our time so next day out of the question.part due in 2 days. the advisor says are you sure we dont have the part, and we cant get it tomarrow. ok the guy has been an advisor 6 years. he still does not get it.so he says i dont want to put the owner in a rental. i say why let gm pick it up he says my #s will get dinged. i say who cares its dangerous to drive it 4:30 no part and nothing i can do he says can you swap one from anothr vechicle so i just walk away

yes most insurances will post signs not to let you back to the tech yet it allows the tech to come to you in the waiting roonm of the serivce drive. if your are pacient enough and the tech can squeek a test drive request it remember under warranty we dont get paid to tedt drive much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts