Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have trouble keeping the finish on their white truck looking good? I keep getting small rust like spots on the truck and the only way I've found to get them off is alot of elbow grease with a good wax. I do wax my truck every 4 months, but it takes just about a day because I need to take extra time to deal with those spots.Does anyone know of a product that will remove these spots easier or a special wax that will keeping them from coming back so quickly. I've never had a vehicle that is so much work to keep looking nice.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Most likely it is rail dust from when your truck was shipped via railcar.

A detailers clay bar will take care of the problem once and for all! They are about $15-$20 for a kit that contains a lubricant, clay bar and a wax.

Just follow the directions, and I guarantee you'll be absolutely amazed at how well your truck's finish will look! I did mine about 6 months ago, and it looked and felt showroom new.

There are all sorts of airbourne contaminents that get "stuck" in the paint, rail dust being one of them. A clay bar is the best and easiest way to safely remove them.

I bought the "Mother's" kit from Pep Boys for $15.

Kevin
Edited by: Fireman

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey i am from holland too any way i worked at denooyer chevy detailing and the way we got that off was with a clay bar and glass cleaner i believe alot of it comes from padnos its fall out

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Yes I was going to suggest the clay bar as well or you can use mothers wax, they have a 3 stage wax kit that will just about get anything off. Have the time? Do it all, clay bar and 3 stage wax, you will be impressed. I know I was.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mines a white 02 and the claybar routine was the first thing I did and have not experienced small rust spots ~ so I'm guessing it works.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Take it back to the dealer, this is a warranty/delivery issue.

Mine had it and they paid my body shop to take care of it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
yep, the first time, if its still new, the dealer should cover it. But it will happen again on white. Clay bar is the answer and keep it waxed up well. This is why I never buy white.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Kevin, Ditto with the clay bar. Sometimes warranty will cover it the first time, but after that, its your baby. Seems to happen to all white vehicles, Its actually from your front brakes. You step on the brakes, fine pad and rotor dust that is hot gets on your truck, the heat actually burns itself into the clear coat. Dont know a good way to prevent it, just to get it off.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Does the clay bar do anything for scratches like running through trees? I was looking at the paint today and noticed alot of chiping from the winter season. Scratches are my fault, did you know a crew cab will fit down a deer trail?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've been detailing cars and trucks for almost 20 years. It's what I do for a living. The clay will work for you. Get the blue colored Clay Magic bar. It is the best one out there and easiest to use. You can find it at Pep Boys if you have that chain near you. If you run out of the lubricant spray, you can make some yourself that works just as good. I just fill my spray bottle with some good water, add a couple drops of car wash soap, and a couple drops of your favorite white tire dressing (Armor All type crap). It will work just as well as the stuff that comes with the clay to help the bar glide smoothly across the paint. When you have the finish glassy smooth, wipe it down with a chamois or something and have a good look at the paint. If there are any scuffs or small scratches that need attention, hit them with a little polish before finishing with your favorite wax. I use mostly 3-M brand polishes and compounds, but I do most of my major work with a buffing machine. If you want a nice polish to clean up little scuffs and scratches in your paint that works great by hand, try Blue Magic Metal Polish. I know it says metal polish, but it is a very, very fine abrasive and does a really nice job in just one step. Be sure to use a very clean terry or microfiber rag to work the polish. I wouldn't necessarily recommend polishing your entire truck with Blue Magic, but I suppose you could if you had the time.

GarEdited by: biggar

·
Registered
363 Posts
aketay said:
Does the clay bar do anything for scratches like running through trees? I was looking at the paint today and noticed alot of chiping from the winter season. Scratches are my fault, did you know a crew cab will fit down a deer trail?

The clay bar will only remove foreign contaminants from your paint surface. It does not do any polishing, scratch removal or hard water spot removal. It just gets the crap off.

Gar

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info, sounds like I better go find a clay bar and get to work.

Kevin

·
Registered
233 Posts
My last 5 vehicles (3 jeeps and 2 trucks) were all white. All of them had "rail dust" problems. The clay bar will work, but my '04 Summit White D/A had rail dust stains all over it. The clay bar would have taken hours to cover all of the spots. I used a clear-coat safe liquid polish (TR3) that easily removed the rail dust stains, then I waxed the truck with a high quality carnubra paste wax (Mothers).

If you re-wax every 2 to 3 months, you will have very few new rail dust spots appear, then the clay bar will be the easiest way to maintain the finish.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow, I must have gotten lucky for once in my life. My white '02 has never shown the first spot...

·
Registered
687 Posts
BadDog said:
Wow, I must have gotten lucky for once in my life. My white '02 has never shown the first spot...
I would think that Humidity would play a major role in the development of the rust.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, that's not quite correct. It does get rather humid in the "monsoon season" and it's humid on and off in the Spring. Add to that the environmental changes caused by the influx of Easterners and Californians hell bent on bringing all their green stuff with them to the desert (and then watering the crap out of it), pools, artificial lakes, and golf courses. It still does not rain very much, but humid we got…

In any case, I think we have more than enough humidity to cause rust attributed to “rail dust” and such. Unprotected metal does rust even out here…

·
Registered
42 Posts
The spots will get there if you drive in the snow where snow plows have plowed. And if you follow to close in the snow. I had a big area on the hood of mine. A year after I had my dealer get them off after it was new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts